Help with visa for 6-month work placement

Hi All,

First post. I'm looking for some good advice.  This is the situation:

I am currently at college in Ireland.  For 6 months of the course there is a work placement element which I would like to do in Thailand.

I have been offered a job that pays 20,000 baht (I requested this salary)

I get a grant of 42,000 baht per month in Ireland for the duration of my course including the period of the work placement, so I requested a low salary to increase my chances of getting employment for the 6 months in the field that I required, knowing that I'd have enough cash to survive.

I'm married to a Thai, and we've got all the documents to support that.

Should I get a non-immigrant "b" or "o", should I try for a multi-entry, or is there any way to get a 6 month visa for this?  I've had both non-immigrant "b" and "o" visa's in the past, and I've never had trouble getting them, but I've never been successful in staying in Bangkok for more than 3 months before having to leave and come back, which I would like to avoid during the work placement next year.

I have read the information about non-immigrant visas on this site, and I am still not that clear on exactly what I can or cannot do with them.

Is it possible for example to extend a non-immigrant "o" from within Thailand, if I could show evidence of income from Ireland for example?

Any helpful advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Work permits are particular to the employer and your position within the company. To apply you will need a letter from the prospective employer saying that they want to employ you and this will form the basis of the application. If you change either emplyer or position, you have to apply for a new one.

My advice..... Get your college/university/school to get the placement (they probably have contacts with the universities in Thailand). When you have an employer, the employer will apply for the work permit on your behalf.

You may be able to get a job at the Thai universities teaching if you are championed by your college.

To apply for a visa, the Thai embassy in the UK has a detailed list of requirements and documents for all the non-immigrant visa's

http://www.thaiinuk.com/nonimmigrant.html

Bear in mind that if you go for an 'O' visa you will have to substantiate that you have sufficient means to support your Thai Bride (i think it is about THB 400K in the bank...but not sure. I'm sure other posters will correct me)

Apply for a Multiple Non-Immigrant B visa at the Royal Thai Consulate in Dublin. You don't need money in the bank whether you have an O or B class visa. You are not on an extended stay. The multiple entry visa is valid for a year, and it enables stays of 90 days each time you enter Thailand. With assistance from your proposed employer, you may be able to extend the visa and not have to cross a border after 90 days. As a sweetener, take the wife to the Consulate when you apply.