Phuket Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family

webfact

By the way up here in the North, never had any issues with Tut-tuts or taxi drivers (apart from their road manners), always been fair, courteous and reasonably priced....

Generally yes, tuk tuk drivers up here in northernmost Thailand are decent fellows. Had a conversation with a couple of 'em the other day - who were inquiring about construction material costs - just shooting the breeze, so to speak.

Had a minor problem with a tuk tuk driver here years ago. I had parked in a section with a sign which was a large white colored P on a baby blue background. The sign sure looked like it ok to park. A tuk tuk driver, without even saying a word to me, went and called the cops, and five minutes later I had a parking ticket to pay.

As for 'up here in the North', there was the ugly incident with a farang man getting shot and killed in the back of a tuk tuk from a shooter who was probably hiding in a building window up high. It was thought to be a 'turf war' - with the bullet probably intended for the tt driver (or just to damage the vehicle) and spook him in to staying out of anothers' territory. It's a moot point, as an innocent man died for no reason at all. Of course, no one was implicated.

• Replies 515
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is a violent person out on bail? He attacked and seriously injured elderly people didn't he? I thought bail even in Thailand was only to be granted to those that were not a threat to the community. Does this mean that tourists are not considered worth protecting? Oh, that's right he's allegedly mentally ill. Great, so now we have an allegedly mentally ill tuk tuk driver watching over his special reserved space and driving around. Maybe the new slogan for the tuk tuks should be, come ride with s and if you do as we say we will not break your bones..............

Unfortunately you were thinking wrong. Also people accused of murder can go out on bail. Even if the person is a foreigner accused of killing a Thai.

And how do they know not there to park?

No 'no parking sign', so they can park there. And in any case, this kind of behaviour is inexcusable.

because the tuktuk driver told them not too................simple

they ignored him.............mistake

Thai looses face...............watch out

French don't like authority and result is...............

No 'no parking sign', so they can park there. And in any case, this kind of behaviour is inexcusable.

Both posters are right, aren't they?

The Thai's action was inexcusable. the law SHOULD take its course

The French made a mistake not understanding what would happen.

caf

caf

I am not quite sure why a tourist would assume that not moving their car would result in being beaten with a metal pole. In typical Thai culture, the reaction of anger is far in excess of the slight of face.

The tourists committed no foul whatsoever. It would appear that the days of reading guidebooks about the serene nature of Thai culture have long gone.

Someone needs to get hold of the guidebooks and start writing the down and dirty truth about these places so that the apologists needn't keep explaining that stupid foreigners should expect to get beaten by taxi drivers during their visit. I mean where do they think they are? Obviously they were under the impression they were in a world class tropical beach destination for a family holiday.

I mean honestly, why wouldn't someone expect that a local resident blabbering at them in a language they have never heard, requiring them to do something they don't see the need or legal requirement to do, result in a good beating with a metal bar. Happens everywhere such as those tourist destinations with warnings about pickpockets, violent taxi drivers, and the such. Joburg, West Indies, Columbia, Sao Paolo. Seems like Thailand wants to join a pretty salubrious group of tourist destinations.

Can anyone say anything positive about any tuk-tuk anywhere in Thailand?

They are noisy, dirty (terrible pollution!) , rude, dangerous, dishonest and all around bad news.

I guess it may be part of Thailand's identity, but I feel they should make Tuk Tuks a thing of the the nostalgic past.

Well, Phuket tuk tuks are a true disaster

But I wouldn't complain about Chiang Mai and other places in the North

Many times I got a great service there, been charged very modest price and many drivers could speak pretty good English

:) Great news,,, I to can shout my praises too the Chiang mai tuk tuk drivers,, yesterday i took a tuk tuk from night market to tae pae gate,, 60 baht

Also i stupidly left my new digi camera on the seat,, realizing this in 3 min,, i took another tuk tuk back to the rank in night market, myself phom pasa thai nit noi,, so my new driver helped me to explain to other drivers,, one of which made a call, 20 min later camera returned,, all smiles 300 baht reward all good.. so i have great faith in Chaing mai tuk tuks,, but i never use them in phuket,,

2 years ago i was so scared this tuk tuk driver going like hel_l, back to chalong, i said cha cha,, he stopped tuk tuk and threatened me with a nice shiny Hatchet,, i ran and ran,,, never again will i be in a tuk tuk in phuket.....

A situation that could have, and should have been avoided.

As tourists they should have taken the guy's word and found another parking spot.

I take it your not from Patong / Karon / Kata Etc..

They have ALL the spots.. Between the rental mafias and the tuk tuk mafias all the public space has been claimed, there is no where else to park and they even claim the one or two open spots while 20 or 30 bays are taken up by empty tuk tuks.

perhaps it would be nice to rent a tank for the day and drive over the whole lines of parked tuk-tuks and carry on without a blink....

A situation that could have, and should have been avoided.

As tourists they should have taken the guy's word and found another parking spot.

I take it your not from Patong / Karon / Kata Etc..

They have ALL the spots.. Between the rental mafias and the tuk tuk mafias all the public space has been claimed, there is no where else to park and they even claim the one or two open spots while 20 or 30 bays are taken up by empty tuk tuks.

perhaps it would be nice to rent a tank for the day and drive over the whole lines of parked tuk-tuks and carry on without a blink....

Any pictures of this parking phenomenon? It would be useful to see. Maybe an email to the TAT/bangkok Post/Gazette/ and could be helpful also.

Edited by Thai at Heart

2 years ago i was so scared this tuk tuk driver going like hel_l, back to chalong, i said cha cha,, he stopped tuk tuk and threatened me with a nice shiny Hatchet,, i ran and ran,,, never again will i be in a tuk tuk in phuket.....

2 years ago, I was driving my pu truck with 2 greenhorn farang - as a sort of tourist guide (don't tell immigration, thanks).

On the hwy, a big truck stopped in front and blocked me (didn't pull over to stop). Slammed on my brakes, almost got back-ended. I honked as I drove past the trucker - and gave him 'the finger'. A minute later, we were all stopped at a red light. He was sitting his cab yelling at my truck, while brandishing a wide sword outside his window. This went on for the duration of the red light, which felt like ten minutes. The 3 farang in my truck didn't say a word (or show a finger) in return. Your mention of a hatchet brought it to mind.

Tuk-tuk Driver Attacks French Family
More Tuk-tuk Trouble in Phuket

Surely the next one's going to be................ :)

Tuk-tuk driver returns one million baht and pink panther diamond to smiling German tourist in Kata
Edited by Payboy

You can bet if the angry tuk tuk driver was rebuffed and/or overpowered, his fellow tuk tuk pals (and other Thais) would have come to back him up. There is a hard and fast rule in Thailand; if a Thai person is having an altercation with a farang, you must either stand aside and stare or come fight on the Thais' side. There is no question of who is right or wrong. You hear the Thai person(s) shouting bloody murder toward the farang, and you automatically get angry and join the shouter in bashing the farang. I call it 'prison mentality' as it's the same way things are done in prisons between groups with one shade skin color or another.

Ahhhh...I don't know about that. I've taken on a Thai in an area where there are no farangs....only Thais. I fought alone and so did he. Also have had shouting incidents with Thais with Thais backing me. Have had to restrain a Thai from retaliating for an attack on me. They are not blind and dumb...just be careful what you do and where you do it.

Edited by Canada

It really is time that the Governor stepped in and did something about the Tuk Tuks. They are becoming a major source of trouble and need curtailing.

Vote me in as Governor and I'll do it! :)

how long do you think you would last? life is cheap here, do i need to say more, this is not the uk, this is phuket mafia style...

even the governor cant. it has to come from pm bkk.

It really is time that the Governor stepped in and did something about the Tuk Tuks. They are becoming a major source of trouble and need curtailing.

how long do you think you would last? life is cheap here, do i need to say more, this is not the uk, this is phuket mafia style...

and he has the power ?? NOT

Yes, the PM holds some sway over policies within Thailand. However, he tends to try to stay removed from problems outside his direct focus, as Thais are apt to do. When he does act, it's often belatedly and in a wishy washy sort of way, as happened weeks after the Rohinga refugee problem hit the fan.

Mr. Abhisit is getting better at his role as PM, but there is room for improvements. I'd suggest he become more 'hands-on' in the manner of former US president Clinton, (though not as criminally meddling as Thaksin was).

Clinton would begin each work day by having a meeting with his top people. They would go around the horn, briefly and openly discuss the most pressing issues. Then, rather than just nodding 'ok' to each topic, Clinton would ask, "What can be done to rectify that?" Then (and this is the most un-Thai action in the protocol) ...he would say something like; "ok, let's get going on it then. Let's get the funding, the personnel, whatever you need - and I want concise progress reports each day, on my desk."

Tourism is, by far, the largest source of outside money coming in to Thailand. Anything that tarnishes Thailand's reputation as a tourist destination, also cripples that potential money influx. The Phuket tuk tuk problem (among many other problems there and at other regions) is one of those blemishes that adversely affects tourism. It can be fixed. If the Phuket authorities can't deal with it, then perhaps there needs to be a campaign directed from Bangkok - with as much muscle as is needed.

caf

I am not quite sure why a tourist would assume that not moving their car would result in being beaten with a metal pole. In typical Thai culture, the reaction of anger is far in excess of the slight of face.

The tourists committed no foul whatsoever. It would appear that the days of reading guidebooks about the serene nature of Thai culture have long gone.

Someone needs to get hold of the guidebooks and start writing the down and dirty truth about these places so that the apologists needn't keep explaining that stupid foreigners should expect to get beaten by taxi drivers during their visit. I mean where do they think they are? Obviously they were under the impression they were in a world class tropical beach destination for a family holiday.

I mean honestly, why wouldn't someone expect that a local resident blabbering at them in a language they have never heard, requiring them to do something they don't see the need or legal requirement to do, result in a good beating with a metal bar. Happens everywhere such as those tourist destinations with warnings about pickpockets, violent taxi drivers, and the such. Joburg, West Indies, Columbia, Sao Paolo. Seems like Thailand wants to join a pretty salubrious group of tourist destinations.

EXCUSE ME.... YOU ALL

ARE YOU SURE, you are talking about thaialnd as a whole, or do you just talk about people in PHUKET and/or PATTAYA and surrounding areas....

I NEVER SEE nor experience anything like what you described in nakorn si, pattalung, trang, hatyai....

pls when you describe or condemn certain acts, pls do not generalize them to include the most hospitable southern cities....

the northern cities of the southern tip of thailand, as mentioned above, are still like thailand 20 years ago....

you are welcomed to experience these thai hospitalities yourself.... LOL

Been through Nakorn si Thammarat, Pattalung and Hatyai all last week.

Nothing negative at all there, except for Nakorn's accident rate over the holiday.

I avoided being a statistic.

And got through Trang, twice last year, all nice and friendly places.

The Phuket tuk-tuk and Samui Taxi mafias are rather unique to each.

Wrong. You been in Thailand long? You can't necessarily park where there is no "no parking sign." You park where the mafia says you can park, sign or no sign. Found this out the hard way myself (but nothing like the French couple, just tires slashed) and haven't since made that mistake.

"Know when you're beaten," as Russell Crowe says in Gladiator.

i hate tuk-tuks, //deleted by Admin//

i have lived in thailand for over 10 years, and am happy to

say i have only had to use them 4 or 5 times, every time

they attempt to rip you off.

as an example in chiang mai, they try to charge foreigners 600

baht for a 15 minute trip out of the city to the local small

airport, take a meter taxi and its a little under 300 baht.

tuk-tuks assume all foreigners are either super rich and loaded,

or completely stupid.

you walk along the street minding your own business, they keep

beeping and following you and "tuk-tuk where you go".

i urge all foreigners to boycott them and not use them.

to hel_l with tuk-tuks and their looser drivers.

DONT USE THEM.. teach them a lesson, and send them to the poor

house.

Well in this case it was an attack with a brolly, well, there are 2 things can be done when asked to move, ignore and and assume rights as in the west, or heed the warning and move,.the result of the former is apparant,.My thoughts, i would have moved, the brave/stupid ignore,. :)

i hate tuk-tuks, //Deleted by Admin//

or completely stupid.

house.

We talking whores or tuk tuk drivers here ? .. :)

i hate tuk-tuks, //Deleted by Admin//

or completely stupid.

house.

We talking whores or tuk tuk drivers here ? .. :)

they act the same - they treat foreigners as ATM machines, are

abusive, rude, money hungry and cannot be trusted.

avoid and boycott both!

mxt; Living in CM and having a vehicle, I use tuk tuk on a infrequent basis but from old city to moo ban charge is 100 to 120 baht. Distance is 12 kilometer. If you want to go to airport plaza hop on song tow (red truck) and the price is 20 baht. Teenage daughters use both around the city out to first ring road and never pay more than 50 baht or 20 for song tow. Yes some try to charge excessive rate but we just find another one. Taxi (metered) is advertised all over old city for 150 baht to airport which is further than Airport plaza. check out the white, yellow, blue song tow for longer travel and you find 20 baht will get you 15 to 20 klicks out of town. Just be glad we do not have the Puket etc group here in CM. (yet)

the tuktuk situation depends on the degree of corruptablity of the local officers and higher up.... to the local m's office

a few days ago, have had a conversation with a local tour operator in phuket who has been in phuket since 1970....

she also bought a license to have tuktuk and songtaew stationed in front of a major hotel there to service hotel guests and general public....

she purportedly paid close to 200thous for that little space and license.... from someone in the city hall....

imagine that sort of.... corruptability....

a few weeks ago.... talked to a southern governor's office personal rep.... and was told.... any time you can bring in evidence of SINN-BON (GRAFT).... the officers and personnel involved will be fired including people in this building....

NOW THAT IS THE SORT OF ACTION THAT THE POWER IN PATTAYA AND PHUKET NEED TO FEARLESSLY EXERCISE.... LOL

the tuktuk situation depends on the degree of corruptablity of the local officers and higher up.... to the local m's office

a few days ago, have had a conversation with a local tour operator in phuket who has been in phuket since 1970....

she also bought a license to have tuktuk and songtaew stationed in front of a major hotel there to service hotel guests and general public....

she purportedly paid close to 200thous for that little space and license.... from someone in the city hall....

imagine that sort of.... corruptability....

a few weeks ago.... talked to a southern governor's office personal rep.... and was told.... any time you can bring in evidence of SINN-BON (GRAFT).... the officers and personnel involved will be fired including people in this building....

NOW THAT IS THE SORT OF ACTION THAT THE POWER IN PATTAYA AND PHUKET NEED TO FEARLESSLY EXERCISE.... LOL

When this happens we'll have a lot more of empty buildings here :)

Gerd

talked to a southern governor's office personal rep.... and was told.... any time you can bring in evidence of SINN-BON (GRAFT).... the officers and personnel involved will be fired including people in this building....

Yeah, and dont forget to put that bullseye sticker on your shirt :)

Reading all the posts, government spokespeople comments, government edits against corruption, etc I am reminded of past government vendettas against corruption and crime (outside Thailand) Many of the targets of the clean up campaigns were so far removed from the physical evidence they were eventually prosecuted for seemingly minor offenses. Tax evasion, non payment of same, false declarations of official documents etc. You need to notice that the trees make up the forest prior to starting the environmental (clean up) policy.

Did I read somewhere that Mr. Anwar, the man going to Kalim from North Patong pleaded guilty to assaulting the tuk tuk driver and paid a 1000 baht fine. Maybe he was just trying to get out of town and wanted his passport back. Or maybe he was truly the one who assaulted the driver. If you agree to 150 baht, then pay it. If you are too stupid to know you are agreeing to pay too much, then you just paid for your education.

Yesterday as I was driving in from Chalong to Rawaii/Naiharn, I was in a que behind 2 or 3 other cars waiting to turn right from Visit rd. (4024) onto Saiyuan Rd at the 7-11 when a tuk tuk came up the que's right side on the wrong side of the road, attempting to bypass the que to get to Saiyuan.

The oncoming traffic was clearing and the cue proceeded to make the turn. As we all make the turn onto SaiYuan, Mr. tuk tuk is on still on my right side a bit ahead of me, and still on the wrong side of the road. Now there appears a large construction truck coming straight at him in the opposite lane. Neither the car in front of me nor myself allowed the tuk tuk driver to force us on to the shoulder, so he was forced to either stop in the oncoming lane or drive head-on into the big truck.

As soon as the truck passed, the tuk tuk overtook me, then swerved into my right front fender forcing me to either crash into him, or swerve quickly to the left and onto the shoulder. It looked as though he missed me by a few centimeters. I give him a lengthy honk. He then stopped his tuk tuk in the road in front of me, so I try to go around, but he swerves to the right blocking my path and stops again. This goes on for a little while, but he never gets out of the tuk tuk. He clearly has decided to hold me hostage there as punishment for not allowing him to cut me off earlier. I finally get enough room to blast around him on the right as I give him I one fingered wave. (I regret that bit)

Now he is chasing me through Rawaii. It's at this point that I recall the many reports of tuk tuk drivers brandishing guns or other weapons when they have a disagreement with a foreigner so I do my best get a ways ahead of him before turning into my mates gated community and alert the security staff, whom I know, that a crazy tuk tuk driver is chasing me. The agonizingly slow security gate finally opens enough for me to get in as the tuk tuk driver spots me and stops his tuk tuk on the road behind me. I drive though the gate hoping it closes quickly, and that was the last I saw of the tuk tuk. I did take notice of his license plate, but in the heat of the confrontation it didn't stick, otherwise I would try to make a complaint.