Pm Abhisit Faces Fresh Challenge To Maintain High Cabinet Standards

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

PM faces fresh challenge to maintain high Cabinet standards

Published on December 30, 2009

Once again, we might see evidence of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's serious resolve to implement his "nine iron rules" aimed at ensuring a high standard of conduct from Cabinet members.

One of the rules states that Cabinet members should always be aware that they are public figures and must respect public sentiment. They should not become involved in any activity that might lead to questions of trust and faith. Abhisit has also urged his ministers to uphold higher standards than the public and to consider the public benefit before their own or the government's.

First it was the Democrat's Witoon Nambutr who resigned early this year as Social Development and Human Security Minister following suspected irregularities relating to the distribution of rotten canned fish to flood victims in Phatthalung.

Then, Deputy Prime Minister Korbsak Sabhavasu, a Democrat, was tainted with a corruption scandal in the Sufficiency Community project, which he chaired. The water-vending machines and solar cells provided by Energy Pro-Technology to the government's Sufficiency Community project were allegedly of low quality but sold at an inflated price. Ultimately Korbsak had to quit the chairmanship.

And now Witthaya Kaewparadai, also from the Democrats, is going to resign as Public Health Minister following suspected irregularities worth Bt86 billion in the ministry's procurement plans under the Thai Khemkhaeng project. Had Witthaya refused to quit, the premier would have resigned instead, in accordance with his nine rules. Fortunately, Witthaya announced his intention to quit, taking responsibility for a lapse of duty in supervising the project, one day after a fact-finding body concluded its investigation.

However, it is a pity that not all the ministers in the Cabinet are following the high standards set by the prime minister. For example, ministers belonging to coalition partner Bhum Jai Thai seem to ignore these principles when they are involved in scandals.

While Witoon was under attack about the rotten canned-fish scandal, Boonjong Wongtrairat, a Bhum Jai Thai MP for Nakhon Ratchasima and deputy interior minister, was accused of buying votes by distributing Bt500 notes attached to his business card to his constituents in the northeastern province. However, the premier chose to look the other way on this occasion.

While Public Health Minister Witthaya was found negligent in allowing officials to abuse stimulus funds, his deputy Manit Nop-amornbodi stands accused of more severe wrongdoings. The minister from Bhum Jai Thai has been accused of intervening and pressuring health officials to allocate a lot of money to Ratchaburi province which he represents in Pariament. He is also accused of being involved in a deal to buy overpriced ambulances in connivance with Siriwan Prassajaksattru, the minister's secretary.

At first, Manit said he would make a decision on whether to resign or not after the New Year holidays. But this time, the premier seems to be putting pressure on Manit by hinting that he would replace three members of his Cabinet within the first week of next year. He, however, did not name the Cabinet members who would be replaced.

Although the head of government deserves praise for setting a high standard for politicians, the ruling Democrat Party, regarded as a "clean" party, would be still haunted by allegations of corruption - the rotten canned-fish, the low quality but overpriced water-vending machines and solar cells, the overpriced medical equipment purchase orders under the Thai Khemkhaeng Project.

These scandals should teach Abhisit a few lessons on how to keep his Cabinet free from corruption.

jintana(at)nationgroup.com

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2009/12/30

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Corruption at the highest levels of all companies/businesses/politics/police/gov is endemic in Thailand- it is simply why people want to be in/purchase senior positions in all walks of life here- all for the money. Some are simply so greedy they go over the top and are too blatant and have to be brought down in case they spoil it for the rest.

That will not change any time soon whatever Mt Abhisits/his masters policies may be, or would like to be seen to be.

The main reason their nemesis Thaksin fell from grace, he got to greedy but worst of all he got caught doing it. Can't have the current gov't getting tarred with the same brush can we. :)

Once again, we might see evidence of Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's serious resolve to implement his "nine iron rules" aimed at ensuring a high standard of conduct from Cabinet members.

He's gonna hit them all with a nine-iron?

That should knock some sense into 'em!

All talk now. I think he's a political eunuch and his days as PM are numbered.

Seem I remember you saying this, or similar, all year long....

So far you don't seem overtly prescient.

You completely dodged responding to the questions in the article in any way whatsoever and instead attacked someone else on a totally unrelated issue, you have a natural talent for politics. I am seeing a flair for lying and obfuscation here, I fear you have missed your calling.

Oh sorry for going off topic, and commenting on the way off topic comment.

It wasn't a flame, it was an observation, there is a great difference,

and no, he is not very prescient.

Is this tag team now? Stumbo to Geriatics rescue?

I didn't dodge anything, I didn't comment on it at all.

A dodge; implies I had intent to avoid.

vs. commenting on what interested me at the time.

How dare I do THAT!

Now saying you see "a flare for lying", that IS a flame...

But why quibble.

I answer to a higher calling than mere politics, and still have my self esteem.

Yes wonderful that this cabinet guy gets sacked, vs. holding on till hel_l freezes over,

and with Abhisit in a stronger position maybe a better candidate will get in the job this time.

I already commented on Manit needing to lock in a 2010 pension payment before resigning in disgrace.

He should go yesterday, and most of their staffs to boot.

We know the Bhum Jai Thai guys are old school Phu Yai types and it's only a matter of time

before they get shuffled out. The question is how fast and deeply do they get caught,

and how strong is Abhisit at that time for installing replacements by better men.

The fact that ANY change for the less corrupt is seen at all is positive,

Rome wasn't built in a day and Bangkok won't be sanitized in a decade,

but any baby steps forward are STILL steps forward.

Just stating this Nine Iron Rules is in itself a step forward,

especially if even some apply them in a practical manner, it sets precedent.

Edited by animatic

You completely dodged responding to the questions in the article in any way whatsoever and instead attacked someone else on a totally unrelated issue, you have a natural talent for politics. I am seeing a flair for lying and obfuscation here, I fear you have missed your calling.

All but a few posts until animatic addressed the topic directly were the flippant remqrks as to which golf iron to select.

It's become old hat since at least several months to be pronouncing Abhisit's imminent demise as PM.  :)   Yet some keep going at it like the energizer bunny. But it's the same old song.  :D t

Agreed... As his House as well! Any foreign business owners concur?

Had Witthaya refused to quit, the premier would have resigned instead, in accordance with his nine rules.

A case of the tail wagging the dog? Giving somebody the chance to resign is a political nicety. The alternative is to FIRE HIM. Amazing Thailand!

Manit 'likely to remain in cabinet'

By Pongphon Sarnsamak

Piyanart Srivalo

The Nation

Published on January 1, 2010

Bhum Jai Thai will try to get move to another post if swap agreed: source

Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nop-amornbodi, accused of involvement in a procurement scandal, is likely to stay on in the Cabinet if his Bhum Jai Thai Party manages to negotiate a swap of ministerial positions, a source said yesterday.

Bhum Jai Thai will propose that Manit take a Cabinet position in another ministry following accusations he had intervened in the ministry's dubious procurement plans under the Bt86-billion Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package, according to a high-level source from the coalition party.

"The party does not think Manit is guilty or corrupt, so it will consider moving him from the Public Health Ministry to a ministerial position in another ministry instead of having him resign," the source said.

Manit has been under pressure to quit his post after Witthaya Kaewparadai, who is from the Democrat Party, resigned as public health minister earlier this week to take responsibility after an investigation committee found evidence of irregularities.

Democrat Party secretary-general and Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban favours Chinnaworn Boonyakiet, currently the coalition chief whip, to replace Witthaya as health minister, a Democrat source said yesterday.

Theptai Senpong, spokesman for Democrat Party leader and Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, said yesterday that Abhisit would have the final say about who should be the party's new public health minister.

The government-appointed fact-finding panel chaired by Dr Banlu Siripanich on Monday named Witthaya, Manit and 10 other persons - two politicians and eight senior health officials - in the report as being negligent in implementing the ministry's massive procurement plans.

Manit allegedly intervened in administering the budget by exerting pressure on bureaucrats to allocate more money to certain provinces, such as Ratchaburi, which he represents as an MP. He also was incriminated in an agreement to purchase 800 ambulances at an excessive price.

Previously, Manit said he had not yet decided whether to quit his ministerial position. He said he needed to consult with his party and the outcome would emerge next Tuesday.

"The head of the Bhum Jai Thai Party and its executive will discuss this burning issue after the New Year festivities, as most are now abroad or have gone back to their hometowns," Manit said.

He added that he could not quit at this time because Witthaya had told him to oversee operations to cope with road accidents during the holiday festivities and the New Year countdown.

However, the same source from Bhum Jai Thai blamed Suthep for attempting to pressure Manit to show spirit and resign from the ministerial position.

"Suthep's reaction in pressuring Manit to resign [was a challenge to] Manit's dignity," the source said.

Bhum Jai Thai never pressured the Democrat Party to ask its MPs to quit after they were named for involvement in the sufficiency-community project scandal. Even a minister from the Democrats was moved to another position instead of resigning, he said.

Recently, Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr Paijit Warachit said he would ask Abhisit to set up an advisory committee to oversee the ministry's Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package. He is collecting a list of acceptable persons to be members of the panel for Abhisit's consideration.

On Monday, he will call on all ministry executives to detail the progress of the stimulus package following the PM's request to revise the project.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation January 1, 2010

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/01/01...cs_30119565.php

Was was it I said about Bhum Jai Thai above ?

Oh yes , old school Phu Yai types.

And we see that in effect now.

Isn't Abhisit the Boss who decides ?

Would be a good opportunity to show he's got balls and nine iron rules..... :)

He's walking on thin ice with his coalition (read: with his former Thaksin allies he formed the government with) but an interesting movie to watch.

LaoPo

Keeping the coalition happy is definitely a balancing act, but the other parties also realize how vindictive Thaksin and the PTP guys are, so I have my doubts as to whether they can easily change sides back (especially if Thaksin loses the money he stole). I would say this uneasy truce will continue for the forseeable future.I heard a rumor that they wanted to move the current Ed minister to Health. That would be great for health, but terrible for the Ed ministry. Jurin is seen as the first positive presence in tha tministry in a long time. It is certainly the most important ministry, from a long term impact standpoint for the country.

After two years since the last election it is probably a good idea to have a re-cap of what the actual situation is at present:

Members of Parliament

The Constitution states that there will be 480 members of Parliament. Consisting of 400 constituency MP's and 80 Party list MP's. Whenever a Constituency MP leaves office, either through legal means, death or resignation then a bi-election is held to fill the vacancy. When a Party List MP leaves office, then the next candidate on the list automatically takes the position.

With three political Parties being dissolved (People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima), it has resulted in the number of MP's dropping down to 469 with just 69 Party list MP's. Peau Thai, Chart Thai Pattana, Bhum Jai Thai, Social Action and Ratsadorn Parties didn't contest in the 2007 General election and therefore have no Party list members of their own to use in case of a vacancy.

There are two bi-elections scheduled for this month. Both of these elections are being contested by Bhum Jai Thai and Peau Thai. They are in Prachin Buri (Formerly Democrat MP) and Maha Sarakham (Formerly Peau Thai MP).

At the moment the breakdown of Political Parties is:

Democrat.......171 (19)

Peau Thai.......185

Chart Thai.......24 (3)

Bhum Jai Thai..31 (7)

Peau Pandin.....31 (4)

Ratsadorn.........3

Pracharaj..........8

Social Action.....5 (1)

Ruam Jai Thai....9 (2)

Total 467 MP's (with 2 still to be contested)

The figures in brackets are the number of cabinet seats which have been assigned to each Party in the coalition Government.

Source: http://www.parliament.go.th/main01.php

After two years since the last election it is probably a good idea to have a re-cap of what the actual situation is at present:

Members of Parliament

The Constitution states that there will be 480 members of Parliament. Consisting of 400 constituency MP's and 80 Party list MP's. Whenever a Constituency MP leaves office, either through legal means, death or resignation then a bi-election is held to fill the vacancy. When a Party List MP leaves office, then the next candidate on the list automatically takes the position.

With three political Parties being dissolved (People Power, Chart Thai and Matchima), it has resulted in the number of MP's dropping down to 469 with just 69 Party list MP's. Peau Thai, Chart Thai Pattana, Bhum Jai Thai, Social Action and Ratsadorn Parties didn't contest in the 2007 General election and therefore have no Party list members of their own to use in case of a vacancy.

There are two bi-elections scheduled for this month. Both of these elections are being contested by Bhum Jai Thai and Peau Thai. They are in Prachin Buri (Formerly Democrat MP) and Maha Sarakham (Formerly Peau Thai MP).

At the moment the breakdown of Political Parties is:

Democrat.......171 (19)

Peau Thai.......185

Chart Thai.......24 (3)

Bhum Jai Thai..31 (7)

Peau Pandin.....31 (4)

Ratsadorn.........3

Pracharaj..........8

Social Action.....5 (1)

Ruam Jai Thai....9 (2)

Total 467 MP's (with 2 still to be contested)

The figures in brackets are the number of cabinet seats which have been assigned to each Party in the coalition Government.

Source: http://www.parliament.go.th/main01.php

Slimdog, thanks for that breakdown of MPs v. Cabinet seats - I hadn't seen the figures collated this way before. Interesting to note that BJT's 31 MPs gets them 7 ministerial posts whereas Puea Pandin's 31 MPs gets them just 4 ministers. This being Thai politics, it's as well to also note which ministries go where - so we see more of the more significant (read lucrative) ministries going to BJT e.g.

Transport (all those juicy construction contracts) - Minister + Deputy Minister

Commerce (say no more....) - Minister

Interior (budgets for provincial administrations) - Minister + Deputy Minister

Public Health (the nation's hospital budgets) - Deputy Minister [but probably not for much longer]

Agriculture and Cooperatives - Deputy Minster

What did "pro-business" Puea Pandin get?

Finance - Deputy Minister

ICT - Minister (the appalling 1st Lt. Ranongruk Suwanchawee - too busy with website-blocking to have sorted out any contracts yet)

Education - Deputy Minister

Industry (potentially lucrative) - Minister

Not difficult to see the value necessarily placed by Abhisit on the BJT's propping-up of his coalition - though, plainly, there's more to the votes arithmetic than that.

Bhum Jai Thai decides against Manit's resignation

Bhum Jai Thai Party Tuesday decided to keep its Deputy Public Health Minister Manit Nopamornbodi in post, allowing him to defend the controversial projects in the censure debate.

Manit said he would resign if indicted by the National AntiCorruption Commission.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 5 December 2009

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingne...nit%27s-resigna

Manit is not likely to last, this might be likened to the bus cointract.

Eventually after a period of hanging tough some accommodation is reached.

But Manit has likely done too much to stick around... to close to the fire not to get a burn.

But this is more an exercise in looking tough than actually doing the right thing.

Power politics, but TIT.

Health ministry pushes through some projects despite graft allegations

By The Nation

Published on January 8, 2010

Despite corruption allegations surrounding its Thai Khemkhaeng stimulus package, the Public Health Ministry yesterday gave the go-ahead to Bt1.75billion worth of projects that had not been put on hold by the investigation committee.

Permanent secretary Phaijit Warachit, who is one of the 12 individuals implicated in the corruption case, yesterday signed a "most urgent" directive to provincial governors whose projects had been approved already, saying they could go ahead with the procurement deals and management contracts under their jurisdiction. None of these projects involve construction.

The Bt1.75billion projects are part of several other Thai Khemkhaeng projects attached to the government's stimulus package, under which Bt1.43 trillion will be spent from now until 2012.

At present, the ministry's committee has suspended projects worth about Bt11 billion with four politicians and eight senior ministry officials being implicated in corruption charges. These charges prompted Witthaya Kaewparadai to quit as public health minister, though when his deputy Manit Nopamorbodhi refused to follow suit it created conflict among coalition parties.

Most of the approved projects involve the purchase of several vehicles and ambulances for provincial hospitals, including 839 ambulances for health stations at the tambon level, with 10 for strifetorn southern provinces, as well as 63 trucks for carrying medical equipment and support systems.

The other vehicles to be purchased are 181 twowheel drive pickup trucks, 34 fourwheel drive trucks and 37 buses. Part of the Bt1.75billion budget has been allocated for nonprocurement projects under the ministry's other three departments.

Meanwhile, the Senate committee on corruption and good governance has been getting calls from the media and the Rural Doctors' Society - which detected and made public charges of corruption last September - to transfer Phaijit to an inactive post to make way for a fullscale investigation. Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, meanwhile, has stayed mum on the issue.

In response to Manit's statement that he would sue the ministry's committee for implicating 12 individuals, the Senate panel's chairwoman Rossana Tositrakool has called for political investigative teams to be given legal immunity in the future. She also called on the PM Minister's Office, which appointed the health ministry's committee, to provide some legal assistance or counselling in response to Manit's threat of possible lawsuits.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation January 8, 2010

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2010/01/08...al_30119888.php

The last paragraph of the report above strikes me as significant. On the one hand, it's clear that individuals should have some means to protect themselves against unfounded or ill-founded allegations; on the other, the health ministry's committee is an official body set up by the PM's office - and one would think that members of such bodies shouldn't be put in a position of feeling threatened by those against whom they find evidence of wrongdoing, negligence etc.

Thoughts?

The last paragraph of the report above strikes me as significant. On the one hand, it's clear that individuals should have some means to protect themselves against unfounded or ill-founded allegations; on the other, the health ministry's committee is an official body set up by the PM's office - and one would think that members of such bodies shouldn't be put in a position of feeling threatened by those against whom they find evidence of wrongdoing, negligence etc.

Thoughts?

We don't agree often,

but this is a paragraph we do for sure.

Manit is taking a T..... tack of threatening lawsuits against investigative bodies members.

It is intended to give the investigators personal reason to think twice at filing charges.

It has apparently worked in the past, but has done so, so many times, that legitimate investigators,

may very likely get some reasonable protections in the near future.

Which is what this last paragraph is saying. And about time too.

Manit is not likely to last, this might be likened to the bus cointract.

Eventually after a period of hanging tough some accommodation is reached.

But Manit has likely done too much to stick around... too close to the fire not to get a burn.

But this is more an exercise in looking tough than actually doing the right thing.

Power politics, but TIT.

Bye bye Manit, pretty much on schedule.

Newin's side decided to cut it's loses.

Bigger battles to be won than saving one guy,

who was too incautious while timing out in the big chair.

Edited by animatic