Grand Palace New Year's Eve/day?

tonititan

I have visitors in town and was planning to take them to the Grand Palace/Old City tomorrow (December 31st) or Friday (January 1st). I just realized that this could be a problem due to New Year's. Anyone know if the GP will be open? Another visitor tried to go 2 weeks ago and it was closed for a ceremony...legitimately closed, not just the tuk-tuk drivers telling you it's closed for the day! :) I'd really appreciate any information so we don't make the trek all the way to the other side of town when I have limited time to show my guests around. Thanks!

I assume that it would at least be open January 1st, many people will be making merit at Wat Phra Kaew. I warn you that it will be VERY busy there, so watch out for pick pockets!

I think I'll skip the "nine Wats in one day" thing this year, and just go to the Wat near my condo tomorrow. Enjoy!

It was open today! :) But Meridian was right...it was insanely crowded! There had to be at least 20 - 30x more people there than the last time I went (on a random weekday). I would avoid it this week if possible, but my visitors wanted to see it before leaving.