Lawyer Rec For Making A Will

ChiangMaiFun

Used Khun Krit Suktakchan at Sunbelt for my will. It was pretty straightforward and took a couple days, though my situation was simple--just to ensure my remains in the event of my death were to be disposed of by my wife here in Thailand.

Fortunately haven't yet had the will tested to see if it is sufficient for the purpose, but I'm sure it's good to go.

PM me for contact info or just google Sunbelt Chiang Mai.

I recently used Khun Sumalee Jennapa for a house purchase, but she says she does other work too. She did a great job on the house purchase so I'd definitely use her again.

Have a look at this forum for more discussion on attorneys in general and you can get a feel for who would be best for executing a will:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Good-Lawyer-...ai-t195542.html

Used Khun Krit Suktakchan at Sunbelt for my will. It was pretty straightforward and took a couple days, though my situation was simple--just to ensure my remains in the event of my death were to be disposed of by my wife here in Thailand.

Fortunately haven't yet had the will tested to see if it is sufficient for the purpose, but I'm sure it's good to go.

PM me for contact info or just google Sunbelt Chiang Mai.

I recently used Khun Sumalee Jennapa for a house purchase, but she says she does other work too. She did a great job on the house purchase so I'd definitely use her again.

Have a look at this forum for more discussion on attorneys in general and you can get a feel for who would be best for executing a will:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Good-Lawyer-...ai-t195542.html

Great many thanks! hope you don't get to 'test' it real soon

To the OP:

As far as I know, Farangs can`t legally own sweet FA in Thailand.

I suggest that you use the services of a reputable Thai lawyer for the making of a will, as you can`t leave what the authorties deem as not legally yours.

As for me, my UK bank accounts are in joint names with myself and Thai wife, same for my Thailand bank accounts and properties in the names of my other close family members. If I snuff it at any time, my wife and children have complete access to my accounts and property, so no need to make a will.

To the OP:

I suggest that you use the services of a reputable Thai lawyer for the making of a will, as you can`t leave what the authorties deem as not legally yours.

As for me, my UK bank accounts are in joint names with myself and Thai wife, same for my Thailand bank accounts and properties in the names of my other close family members. If I snuff it at any time, my wife and children have complete access to my accounts and property, so no need to make a will.

You're wrong there - of course we can own here... own several condos for instance (have Chanot etc.)

Making a will in Thailand is a lot simpler than you might imagine. All sorts of wills are legitimate. Refer to Thai Law for Foreigners published in 2008 available from Paiboon Publishing. In many cases, you can really do it yourself. Anyway, read the book.

It is normally a good idea for an expatriate to have two wills, if you are concerned about property,relatives, bequests, et cetera in another country. One, of course, can not contradict the other. The same would be true of two wills drawn up in Thailand. If you have a trust in another country and are drawing up a Thai will, be careful not to invalidate your Thai will by mentioning a trust.

Previous references to the Thai Civil and Commercial Code, which covers wills, as well as some case law, have been mentioned on previous threads.

You want a lawyer here in Thailand? There is much already posted on TV.

I also need to get a Thai will done.

Although 99% of my assets are in my home country, I have bank accts here to qualify for my retirement extension.

As the banks here do not allow a beneficiary designation (in other words, one can't name a trust account, or a relative, or a successor trustee)- yes, you need a Thai will to make sure these assets don't just evaporate into the ether.

Good thread, and keep the recommendations on a good, honest and reasonable Thai lawyer coming in....

To the OP:

You're wrong there - of course we can own here... own several condos for instance (have Chanot etc.)

Not disagreeing with you, but just to be on the safe side, best to use the services of a lawyer.

Worth it for peace of mind.

How much did Sunbelt charge?

Around 5K baht, as I recall.

And as for a do it yourself will... do you really want to do something this important without a professional? It's up to you entirely, of course, and I won't knock anybody's choice.

For me, the motorcycles and houses and bank accounts are in her name already, so it doesn't make a difference. Anything in my home country is covered by a will executed there. The only thing I was worried about was the disposition of my remains, and I didn't want any hassles so I did the will with a pro.

By the way, for any US veterans out there--consider showing up for a VFW meeting or at least meeting the post veteran's service officer to make sure your widow gets any benefits she is entitled to in the event of your death. There are things you should be doing now in order to make that happen. Google "VFW chiang mai" for contact info.

To the OP:

Not disagreeing with you, but just to be on the safe side, best to use the services of a lawyer.

Worth it for peace of mind.

Sure... I was just slightly correcting you (sorry) when you say farangs cannot own here