5000 Baht Booking Fee

phil2

When I was asked to pay 5000 baht booking fee at Proton Somdet Phrachao Thaksin, I enquired whether or not it was going to be a part of the overall down payment, and was told, "Yes."

When the papers came from the bank, I didn't bother going through them because they were in Thai, and since I knew what I was supposed to pay monthly. I was about to go to the bank today, and I went for the payment slip, but out of curiosity since the amount on it seem different from what I had thought, looked through. I just found out that the 5,000 baht booking fee wasn't included in the papers by the bank.

I have a receipt from the dealership. But how do I go about the whole thing, since my wife signed the papers without going through them?

Can I reclaim that 5,000 baht, or was it meant to be a thank you fee? I'm really perplexed.

Issues:

First, I got a wrong color.

Second, I got a bad insurance coverage.

Third, I was told payment would begin in March 2010 by the guy at the dealership, not January 2010.

Fourth, I just found out that I gave out 5,000 baht to people for free, even though they assured me it was going to be a part of the overall down payment.

This thread on Thai Visa isn't bought to you by Proton.... :)

Sorry to hear about this situation, but you'll need to check that the 5000baht wasn't for something else like the registration fee. The dealership will have registered your car, if they didn't you would have had to have registered it yourself. Check this with the dealership first.

1) The wrong colour is the fault of the saleman.

2) The issue with the insurance - it's free so you can always reinsure with another company

3) That's between you and the finance company, not really the salesman's fault.

4) Probably some was for registration.

This thread on Thai Visa isn't bought to you by Proton.... :)

Sorry to hear about this situation, but you'll need to check that the 5000baht wasn't for something else like the registration fee. The dealership will have registered your car, if they didn't you would have had to have registered it yourself. Check this with the dealership first.

1) The wrong colour is the fault of the saleman.

2) The issue with the insurance - it's free so you can always reinsure with another company

3) That's between you and the finance company, not really the salesman's fault.

4) Probably some was for registration.

Down payment = 20% = 115,800 ( including the booking fee of 5,000 )

Red plate = 2,000

Registration = 3,200

Insurance = 18,300

I do have a receipt for everything. I just came back from the finance company, and they told me they received only, "110,797 baht from the dealership. The dealership is closed for the holiday, and the salesman isn't answering his mobile phone. Thanks for the reply.

5) you bought a Proton

yes u r so right? Why?

Why proton?

Well, that's a million dollar question. And to tell you the truth, the car is great, but the Thai sentiment at the dealership is something else.

Anyone reading this will conceed that something is seriously amiss at this dealership, the salesman has made serious mistakes, has almost certainly lied and no-one deserves such poor treatment. This can be resolved, as the 'phil2' has the reciepts, he should definitely go to the management at the dealership, and cease to trust the salesman.

I mistakenly assumed that the 1st year insurance was complimentary, that is a blow, try using a broker for the next year.

I paid 3,500 to register my last car, which I thought was what the red plate signified, so I'm confused that the registration and the red plates were paid for seperately - something seems amiss there, but I don't know about Proton.

I'm confident that the 5,000baht will be refunded if you present the Proton management with the reciept and finance documents, the only other option is that the money was for accessories, such as window film etc?

Anyone reading this will conceed that something is seriously amiss at this dealership, the salesman has made serious mistakes, has almost certainly lied and no-one deserves such poor treatment. This can be resolved, as the 'phil2' has the reciepts, he should definitely go to the management at the dealership, and cease to trust the salesman.

I mistakenly assumed that the 1st year insurance was complimentary, that is a blow, try using a broker for the next year.

I paid 3,500 to register my last car, which I thought was what the red plate signified, so I'm confused that the registration and the red plates were paid for seperately - something seems amiss there, but I don't know about Proton.

I'm confident that the 5,000baht will be refunded if you present the Proton management with the reciept and finance documents, the only other option is that the money was for accessories, such as window film etc?

I didn't ask for window films. I bought the high line, which came accessories. Thanks a lot. I'll go there on Monday to show the receipt to the manager.

Edited by phil2

I bought the high line, which came accessories. .

Sorry. This should read," I bought the high line which came with accessories."

Ordered my new CRV five years ago from a dealer in Chiang Mai on the condition that I could take delivery of it by a specific date that was two months later - was absolutely guaranteed the delivery date so paid a 20,000 baht deposit to the Honda dealer. Forty five minutes after leaving the showroom I got a call saying that Honda couldn't make the delivery date so I went back and cancelled. Back in the showroom we cancelled the deal but was told that my deposit would be returned in a cheque from Honda and the dealer simply wouldn't move on this point. A month later I was back in the same dealer trying to back my 20k and things were getting heated - ended up with me telling the sales staff that I was going to stand by the door and tell every farang who walked through it that this dealership is a rip off and they simply didn't care. Minutes later an elderly couple entered the show room and I strolled over and started up a conversation about cars and living in Chiang Mai, nice people and an enjoyable chat. Within minutes I was persuaded to return to the sales desk where all the sales staff were making contributions to a hurriedly arranged whip round which amazingly uncovered 20,000 baht in twenties, hundreds, five hundreds and a couple of thousand baht bills. Went on later to buy the same vehicle from another dealership without drama but with only a five thousand baht deposit and some very heavily caveated paperwork.

I just found out that the dealership took out a LIFE INSURANCE for my wife with part of the 20% down payment they asked for. The missing 5,000 baht. They said that it was Thanachat's policy, and when I called Thanachart they told me the same thing.

I have been robbed of 5,000 baht by a rogue dealership.

Phil so your wife had the dealer do a life insurance policy on YOU. ummm interesting.

For her, and when I asked them who ordered it, they said they told her about it before doing it.

My ex-wife got the insurance company to change the motor policy to a life policy on me with her as beneficiary. Only picked up when my lawyer showed me the document during the divorce. It is a common scam. I had been driving uninsured. !! I still had the insurance sticker on the windscreen. My lawyer thought she had paid the insurance company as normally they would want that back.

• 2 weeks later...

I went in with the red plates to get my 2,000 baht refundable deposit three days ago, and they said they were going to transfer it to my wife. I objected, and asked them to transfer it to my account, to which they agreed. I then asked, "why don't you pay me in cash," but got no reply. I asked them when they were going to transfer the money, and was told, "Tomorrow."

I checked my account at about 4:00 P.M. the next day, but the money was not there, so I called and someone answered the phone, who put me on hold for a long time. Later a guy came on line and asked me, "What do you want?" I said my money. I could here hear the lady I'd been dealing with telling him what to tell me. He then said it takes two days to process payments. I was really angry and told him, "If I don't get my money tomorrow, I'll be at your office." He said no problem.

I checked my account the next day, but there was nothing there, so I called again, and the same guy came on and said, "I know about your problem," and I said, you transfer now, or I'll go to your office and won't leave without my money.

At 4:00 P.M. no money, so I called them to tell them I was on my way over, and the guy said, "Really?"

Fifteen minutes later, he called to ask, "Are you coming, when are you coming?" I told him I was on my way. When I got there, a front office staff went into the office, and came out in less than a minute with my money.

This morning, my wife called me, "So you went to collect the 2,000 baht? I asked how she knew about it, and she said, "They called to tell me three days ago that they would be transfering the money to me today."

Before all of the above happened, I called Thanachart last week to cancel the life insurance, and they said they would. I simply explained to them that I wasn't told about it. I also went to one of their branches, and was assured by a staff that since I wasn't informed about it, the money would be refunded.

Phil. I dont mean to be rude. But it would seem that if you conversed with your wife better and checked the necessary documents, then most of the problems would have been none issues.

You are married to a Thai so that implies that you understand Thailand but yet you do not check important paperwork connected to a major purchase. And then bitch about the service. Why didn't you allow the transfer to your wife after all the car is in her name SHE is the purchaser. Don't you trust her? Same applies to the life insurance. Your wife is the purchaser WAS she informed about the 5,000b? As it's in her name i think you are very lucky Thanachart have agreed to cancel and refund.

• 2 weeks later...
Phil. I dont mean to be rude. But it would seem that if you conversed with your wife better and checked the necessary documents, then most of the problems would have been none issues.

You are married to a Thai so that implies that you understand Thailand but yet you do not check important paperwork connected to a major purchase. And then bitch about the service. Why didn't you allow the transfer to your wife after all the car is in her name SHE is the purchaser. Don't you trust her? Same applies to the life insurance. Your wife is the purchaser WAS she informed about the 5,000b? As it's in her name i think you are very lucky Thanachart have agreed to cancel and refund.

Thanks for your comment. I actually forgot to state clearly that only people with constructive ideas should comment. I've been expecting the likes of you to comment.

I didn't check because I trust her, and when I went in to pay for the car, the receipts were both written in English. There was nothing there about "life insurance" And when I paid for the car my wife was not there. I only agreed to put the car in her name because I wanted to pay only 10% down payment, not the 20% I finally paid.

Thanachart agreed to a refund because they checked with my wife, and she told them she wasn't told about it.

You should go buy a car there, and see for yourself. Probably you're one of their staff, or an agent. And how do I know that you're not the very agent who played all those games with me.

So you put it in her name to pay the 10% dep BUT you actually paid 20% anyway! WHY.

"Thanachart agreed to a refund because they checked with my wife, and she told them she wasn't told about it."

Of course they checked it was in her name. How did she NOT know. She would have had to sign the paperwork.

The constructive part of my post Phil was that you SHOULD always check the paperwork here in Thailand.

And your Paranoia is showing through. I do not work for the Proton dealer, what a silly statement.

So you put it in her name to pay the 10% dep BUT you actually paid 20% anyway! WHY.

"Thanachart agreed to a refund because they checked with my wife, and she told them she wasn't told about it."

Of course they checked it was in her name. How did she NOT know. She would have had to sign the paperwork.

The constructive part of my post Phil was that you SHOULD always check the paperwork here in Thailand.

And your Paranoia is showing through. I do not work for the Proton dealer, what a silly statement.

Thanks for the bit about checking the paper work, and there are better ways of telling people their mistakes, not by insulting them. Feel free to call me anything you want. I respect people until they insult me because that's how I was trained. I never tell people they're bitching or complaining here because that's what the forum is for, and it's a way for other people to learn not make the same mistakes.

I agree it was my fault, but like I said, it was out of trust. The truth is I don't think she read them because she has the feeling that a Thai will never cheat her. It's been like that all these years, and I just found out that buying the car in her name was a mistake because I hate procrastination.

When I went in for the red plates refund, the the salesman said he thought the 5,000 was a promotion ( a gift ) from the finance company. The manager said he knew it wasn't. I don't trust them, and I showed it to them.

i never did the red plate thing cause i know it would be a hassle to get the money back. phil2 you were just cheated into a life policy. same thing happened when my bro in law (who is thai) took a personal loan to buy a building off an auction. he got the money refunded with the threat of using a lawyer against the bank. he was not told that some of the charges paid were to be used for a life insurance policy. the salesman makes a commission out of it and so does the finance company, so why not.

not quite related but ever walk around those little lanes that sell car accessories such as wax, car shampoo, polish etc etc in Carrefour, Tesco when some salesman there tells you why you should buy a different product cause they one you have in your hand is not as good? i tell them to f%*k off! Commissions lead to all kinds of scam everywhere. not exclusively THailand.