Buonissimo Closing !?!

whatsupdoc

I just received a mail from Sergio implying that Buonissimo is going to close:

Quote;"From now until the end of January (date of closing), the restaurant will be open only from 6pm to 11pm with Italian style buffet dinner".

I will miss their great black cannelloni and equally good scallopines...... I hope that Sergio will start again at a different location.

Chiang Mai has a lot of restaurants but very few good ones, especially when it comes to non-Thai food. Sad to hear that there will be one good restaurant less.

If he was located somewhere near the Thapae Gate area, I would have eaten there all of the time, but his location was just too inconvienient for me. Let's hope that he chooses somewhere easier to get to next time.

Edited by Ulysses G.

If he was located somewhere near the Thapae Gate area, I would have eaten there all of the time, but his location was just too inconvienient for me. Let's hope that he chooses somewhere easier to get to next time.

Agreed, there is a surfeit of Italian restaurants in CM a lot of them fairly good, though Sergio's fame is justified, most people are likely tol take a cut in quality and eat at a good local one than travel out of way to a better one. Let's hope he does make a reappearance in a more desirable location :)

I don't think it's a case of going out of business but rather that he has decided to concentrate on the wholesale side of things.

Pizza bread and imported mozzarella, other assorted Italian deli items.

Been buying them at Rimping with his logo (at retail!) for a while now.

Howzabout some perfect eggplant parmagiana, double serving size, refrigerated cool in 1-2 week packaging, like Trader Joe's does in the US?

:)

:) Segio has a couple ideas that involve Chiang Mai and food. Don't worry. The place on the river is obviously a bit too big for ANY non-Thai restaurant. No other non-Thai restaurant would fill that place up except, as Sergio did, for events like Loi Krathong.

Different formula and location; wait and see.

I heard that he owns the restaurant outright and it cost a bomb.

I wonder what his intentions are for it?

Maybe a fish spa :)

Already got the river right there that one could stick their feet in... :D

PS - I was under the impression Sergio was renting that riverfront location.

Just went over there to secure my supply of chocolate ice cream and am pleased to report that the wholesale side of the business (including the ice cream) is to continue in a new (and, he tells me, even bigger) location after they close the restaurant. He said they decided not to renew their lease and, since at least part of their current operation is off premises, consolidate the wholesale and distribution side somewhere more appropriate.

I'm sure the cost of those premises must be astronomical even if he got a deal when he took them over and filling enough seats there on a nightly basis would be a struggle for almost any establishment in the city.

Quote;"From now until the end of January (date of closing), the restaurant will be open only from 6pm to 11pm with Italian style buffet dinner".

Any idea what the price of the buffet is?

Any idea what the price of the buffet is?

380 baht and it is a big long buffet

Yes, I'd like to hear about the buffet. Are there many delicious Italian meats and cheeses? Raviolis and lasagnas? Maybe Sergio should run out the stock so that they do not have to transfer them to the new location. I for one would be glad to help.

Apparently UNIrish pub has closed too. I assume there is no link. But anyway know the facts. They seemed to be doing well.

This is the second such report about the UN Irish Pub. It would be a real shame if accurate. :)

The issue about the UNIP was explained as due to some kind of incident by a poster who is likely in a good position to know and the thread rightly closed so as to prevent speculation and damage to their business. Don't you think it's best left alone until at least some facts emerge?

Greenside, it was NOT closed because of the Irish Pub comment. It was closed because the original topic suggested that a fish & chips restaurant was 'biting the dust' when it was merely for sale. Nothing to do with irish pub which is a separate topic.

Honestly I would like to know too as I visit the place regularly. So if anyone has more information on the Irish Pub then please don't be shy to post.