Passport Validity Less Than 6 Months

I'm planning a trip to Thailand in February but my US passport expires on July 2. This means my passport will have only 4 months remaining, but as I understand it 6 months validity is technically required to enter the country.

I was planning to renew my passport before the trip but it probably won't be possible (long story). Will I be able to enter Thailand with only 4 1/2 months remaining on my passport? I will have a return ticket and am planning only a one week stay.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound promising, but I guess a lot of it depends on the airline. I'll be flying with Jet Airways, so hopefully they aren't organized enough to catch it. I will still try to get the new passport in time but it doesn't look promising.

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't sound promising, but I guess a lot of it depends on the airline. I'll be flying with Jet Airways, so hopefully they aren't organized enough to catch it. I will still try to get the new passport in time but it doesn't look promising.

Interesting that despite having been told by a range of people that the answer to your question is a resounding no that you still seem inclined to try. Is there not a fast track facility for new passports that you can use at a cost?

Interesting that despite having been told by a range of people that the answer to your question is a resounding no that you still seem inclined to try. Is there not a fast track facility for new passports that you can use at a cost?

Some people are more adventurous than others. I'm sure a lot of people get caught out on passport expiry dates as they sneak up quite quickly, especially for people with 5 year passports. I reckon he's got a good chance.

Jeebusjones, please report back here and let us know what happens.

You mean a range of complete strangers on a board renowned for it's conservative bend in all visa matters. I understand it's a risk and will, hopefully, be able to arrange at least a temporary passport before the trip. However, having heard reports similar to the one from Seaeagle, I think it's quite likely that the letter of the law might not be enforced as consistently as one might imagine.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll certainly report back if I try it, Tropo, but hopefully it won't come to that.

[quote name='jeebusjones' date='2010-01-03 02:04:16'

You mean a range of complete strangers on a board renowned for it's conservative bend in all visa matters.

<snip>

I am always amazed at the number of people that keep discarding answers until they get the answer they want to hear. Why ask?

You mean a range of complete strangers on a board renowned for it's conservative bend in all visa matters. I understand it's a risk and will, hopefully, be able to arrange at least a temporary passport before the trip. However, having heard reports similar to the one from Seaeagle, I think it's quite likely that the letter of the law might not be enforced as consistently as one might imagine.

Thanks again for all the replies. I'll certainly report back if I try it, Tropo, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Great! Nothing beats real life experiences.

It's a pretty lame rule that someone visiting a country for a short time needs to have a full 6 months validity on their passports. Who dreamt up this rule in the first place? It's not difficult to apply for new passports in Bangkok.

I am always amazed at the number of people that keep discarding answers until they get the answer they want to hear. Why ask?

Nothing amazing about that at all. The OP was prepared to give it a go, and now he's heard from someone else who has done it more than once. A pretty satisfactory conclusion to the thread I would say.