Why The Overrepresentation Of Brits In Thailand?

nicolas18

Maybe outside of London, England is still England (in parts).

I think I was there for 2 days before I spoke to a native Brit.

JJ

your post reply sums it up for me, as l have had similar stuff happen, well done. It's those of us that are in or have been in the thick of it that understand what's happened to England.

Ok, I'll bite...

I can't speak for the rest of England, only London where i was born and bred. For example, a few weeks ago I was taking a late bus home from work and talking to my g/f in Thailand on the phone, she said 'I hear people talking, where you now honey?' 'on the bus babe' 'oh...not sound same you'

'no babe I'm the only English person on the bus' 'HUH??? you country or not you country?'

I tried to explain it to her but, as you can imagine, it was difficult. You can walk down Stratford High Street and the only English you will hear is from the Africans!

What has happened in my part of the world, rather than the accepted view in some people's minds that all 'these people' have kind of invaded, is the people I grew up with have all left, not necessarily to other countries, in East London they've all abandoned the areas they grew up in and moved out into the suburbs (mainly Essex).

Various reasons, poor housing, memories of tough, sometimes very violent upbringings which leads to a desire to provide something better for their children. Anyway, they've pretty much all gone, leaving these areas open to others to move into. Now, if you examine the origins of the people who replaced them you will find exactly the same reasons for their arrival.

I remember my childhood with a certain nostalgia, as I'm sure many people do, but I have to say that it was a very violent, poor and deprived area before the latest wave of immigrants. There has been immigration in East London for hundreds of years.

Now I'm sure many other communities in my country have experienced similar trends and there are many many reasons for what has happened. I don't know what the answer is, or even if there is one. It can be said that immigration into the UK has, in the past, made it more successful, but this has to be tempered with all the associated problems. The idea that some kind of 'repatriation' would somehow, magically transport us back to a wonderful world where everyone could leave their front doors unlocked, and kindly bobbies would give you a clip round the ear for scrumping is a) nonsense and :) not going to happen.

I know London is different in that it is an ever changing place and nothing seems to stand still or remain the same. But it's hard to hear people complaining about how it 'ain't like it used to be' when they are the ones who have abandoned their roots and buggered off to Essex!

I'm now in the position similar to someone in an imbalanced relationship.

I love my country deeply but sometimes I feel it doesn't love me back.

And what do you do when you love someone/something and they, or it, doesn't love you back? You move on, sometimes with a broken heart. Sometimes with the feeling that you're starting again. I'm sure it's the same for the people who come to England.

Life often doesn't go the way you want it to and the same can be said of your country.

Just my two penneth

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I've deleted the worst of the childish name calling, and the over the top racist posts. Several posters have also been removed. This is an emotional issue to many but that does not mean you can resort to the type of behaviour that was displayed by some here. Our thanks to those who tried to keep it civil and intelligent but the rot has set in and it's time for this thread to go.