Phuket First Time

thaifever2007

Hi,

First time in Phuket. Did a search, but all too confusing as I don't know what area to stay. I want to be within a 10 minute walk to the nightlife (what's the name of it, is it Patong?). I also want to be within a 10 minute walk to a nice beach. How much for a transfer from the airport to the hotel?

Thanks

Yes Patong is the main night life area, Bangla Road becomes the walking street after 6pm. That's where many bars and all the go-go's and most the clubs are. Most everything in Patong you can walk to in 10 minutes. Kata and Karon beaches are less crowded and cleaner, have plenty of nightlife, but no disco's or nightclubs, and it means that from Patong you would probably have to utilize the dreaded tuk tuks to get there, which I urge everyone to avoid if possible. A quick glance through Phuket forum and you will see what I mean about the tuk tuks.

My Ex-gf is a reservationist at a very nice hotel resort in Patong which is 200m from the beach and walking distance to Bangla, and it's in the price range you are looking. If you are interested PM me and I can put you in contact. If her hotel is full or doesn't meet your requirements, she can help find what you are looking for.

Have fun!!

Come out of the Airport ignore all the taxi touts , turn right , you should get a taxi for about 500/600baht to Patong. You can get a room for 6/7/800 baht a night , with air con fridge TV hot/cold shower, and it would only be 5 mins walk from the beach. If not just ring this number.

Here is a number for you to ring 089-4742422 or 089-4746492 fax (076)296411

I have been using This company for years, reliable and trust worthy, they have booked every thing for me from boat trips to Elephant shows all reasonable priced , I am in no way associated with this company just a very happy customer.

Thaivisa has a hotel booking service.

Also look at Agoda.

There are loads of hotels in your price range or less.

You didnt say what time of year you are coming, but in low season, you can get a great deal in a top hotel for that sort of money.

Just so you know, Patong beach is not what a lot of people would consider a nice beach. I for one would rather spend the day hanging from a tree by my testicles than sit on Patong beach. So if the night life is important to you (your on holiday, why wouldn't it be) stay in Patong but try to get to some of the more remote beaches during the day. It would be a shame for you to be on Phuket for a while and only go to Patong beach every day. Have a gooden.

Just so you know, Patong beach is not what a lot of people would consider a nice beach. I for one would rather spend the day hanging from a tree by my testicles than sit on Patong beach. So if the night life is important to you (your on holiday, why wouldn't it be) stay in Patong but try to get to some of the more remote beaches during the day. It would be a shame for you to be on Phuket for a while and only go to Patong beach every day. Have a gooden.

Whilst the idea of watching you hang from a tree in such a way is truly appealing, it has to be said that Patong Beach (the beach itself) is actually a very very pleasant beach so the OP should not be misled on this point.

Whilst the idea of watching you hang from a tree in such a way is truly appealing, it has to be said that Patong Beach (the beach itself) is actually a very very pleasant beach so the OP should not be misled on this point.

What ever floats your boat! Unfortunately I don't swing that way. Or should I say 'hang'.

The first and last time I was in the sea at Patong beach, what was undoubtedly human faeces floated inches away from a mate, right past his back. I didn't tell him because I knew he was the squeamish type, he would have had a hissy fit and ran off up the beach screaming.

Besides the notoriously unclean water, beaches that have hardly no available sand, due to the amount of beach chairs, have never appealed to me. I want to be able to see and use the beach, not just wedge myself in somewhere like a sardine. The picnic area next to the beach, at the northern end, however, I think is very pleasant.

• 2 weeks later...

you will get a cracking hotel for 2500 thb, i usually pay around 1000 - 1500 for a nice guesthouse or hotel with pool right on beach road directly across from the beach, best thing for you to do as i allways do is book something online for 1-2 nights then walk along the beach road and ask about for somewhere cheaper if its the budget your concerned about. theres loads !! dont worry, i never ever book a hotel beforehand , well maybe once or twice and that was just because i had friends with me who had never been to los, i just jump on the flight and look around myself when i get there.

Sun Hill is a good hotel. but not close to the action..

Summer Breeze hotel, great management and staff.. Right on Sansabai.. Only downside is no pool but you get comped coupons for Baan Benjamins pool a 100m away.

Honourable mention to Orchid guesthouse or Patong Villa.

• 5 weeks later...

Have a peep at the ‘Tripadvisor’ website and type in hotels in Patong. Usually, there are reviews attached to the hotels which can be quite useful. Some even offer a transfer service from the airport, saving you the hassle of dealing with the chimp touts.

When I was last there in September 2009, Patong had definitely seen better days with regard to service and friendliness, but that’s just an observation. If you’re on the tap and up for a wee bit of badger-watch, you should be okay but take care not to drink at the same well too often and get around a bit before the island becomes one giant landfill site.

Have a peep at the 'Tripadvisor' website and type in hotels in Patong. Usually, there are reviews attached to the hotels which can be quite useful. Some even offer a transfer service from the airport, saving you the hassle of dealing with the chimp touts.

When I was last there in September 2009, Patong had definitely seen better days with regard to service and friendliness, but that's just an observation. If you're on the tap and up for a wee bit of badger-watch, you should be okay but take care not to drink at the same well too often and get around a bit before the island becomes one giant landfill site.

Who are you talking to??

The OP asked his question on the 3rd of January.

He's already been, had a fantastic time, gone back home, and is now planning his next trip to phuket.

I've stayed at Amanta house before http://www.amantahouse.com/roomrates.htm It's close to the things you describe. Right now the rooms are running at 1950 baht. Large room with an American queen size bed and the staff are extremely nice. I wrote a good review for them on tripadvisor.com. While I was there the rooms were very clean and it's nice and quiet at night but only 10 minutes walk to either Bangla (nightlife) or Patong beach. Patong beach is alright, I can't complain. Phi Phi island and Maya Bay (part of Phi Phi island) are breathtaking though. It's worth the boat ride if you want a truly spectacular beach.