• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you come across as rude, arrogant, self-centred, egotistical

"Show me a man with no ego and I'll show you a big fat loser"

-Donald Trump

Quoting Donald Trump??? :D:)

The American educational system must really have gone down the pan... :D

What about this one?

"Egotism - usually just a case of mistaken nonentity." - Barbara Stanwyck.

Good luck for tomorrow... :D

RAZZ

You quoted two people I've never heard of and I quoted a billionaire. I will go with the billionaire.

Set two alarms and still slept through the test by three hours. Power went off in my building but that does not explain my iPhones malfunction...

:):D :D :D :D :D

I think that fact that you haven't heard of the two people I quoted says more about you than me! :D

An MBA...???

You can't even wake up in the morning... :cheesy::D

RAZZ

DegenFarang, I wish you good luck and hope that no one will be able to discourage you from fulfilling your dreams.

You are 29, like the campus lifestyle and want to make some acquaintances, right?

I was at your age when I decided to leave my country (had worked in my home country for several years after graduating from the university) and go to Japan in order to do some postgraduate research in my field. I have never regretted this decision.

Well, let the educational aspect alone, as you write, having to deal with local students on a daily basis will be tremendously helpful in making friends (of both genders :) ), they will add you on Facebook (in my case it was mixi - a Japanese SNS), you will join parties together, go on trips, and so on. Hanging out in a campus canteen is also a good idea and being one of them - and not an accidental gaijin/farang - will give you some advantages: you are more likely to have common topics of discussion and they won't wonder what the guy is doing here if he neither studies nor works at our mahaa'lai.

Haven't you thought about applying for a scholarship (unless you own a successful business generating passive income or something like that)? I know it could be difficult in the LOS.

And I do recommend you to start learning the language if you haven't done it yet (I didn't read all your posts). Even if the classes are conducted in English, some knowledge of Thai will help in socializing.

I've taken some Thai language courses and been here four years and in the beginning dated some Thai girls who didn't speak much English - I'm not fluent, or even conversational, by any means - but I can speak some Thai. I can understand the gist of what people are talking about probably 40% of the time I listen, so that will be important I think.

As for the scholarship I wouldn't even want to begin to look - I doubt there is anything available from the Thai government for foreigners studying in Thailand - maybe some international Aid programs or something but I think my time would be better spent bickering with grumpy old expats on ThaiVisa, preparing for the GMAT or preparing my application. Money isn't really a big concern in choosing a school - I think education is a very worthy thing to spend it on.

This thread is an exercise in massaging someone's ego. An MBA from a Thai university is all but useless for a farang that wishes to work outside of Thailand. If one wishes to remain in Thailand, then yes it is of use. However, I would be thrilled to know how the OP intends to remain in Thailand. The types of jobs that he would qualify for are mostly restricted to Thai nationals. Does one really need an MBA to run a dive shop, a bar or a guesthouse?

Networking? Get real. Unless you offer an opportunity for a Thai to make easy money, fast, you will serve no purpose. What part of the concept of an insular society do you not understand? The typical Thai found in an MBA school has really never been exposed to other ethnic groups on an "equal' basis as are students in the USA or Europe. Walk into a school in the UK and you will see a mix of ethnic groups. Despite all the racial tensions, most English people are able to get along and work with others and to even trust other ethnic groups. Now go into a classroom in Thailand. Almost everyone is Thai. There has been no social acclimatization to non thai groups. If anyone thinks Thais are going to immediately change their social mindset because they are in an MBA class, they are delusional.

The whole concept of networking is bogus. Once you are working and in the real world, you will understand that networking is based upon the ability to deliver the goods, not on charming interpersonal skills. It's all about sales ability. Have a look at the typical MNE today. If you cannot grow your book of business, your client list, you are marginal. Everyone has to sell. it doesn't matter whether it is accounting, engineering, finance or admin, everyone is expected to help the organization grow. That's the reality. Business look for sales oriented people. There's an expression in my industry. Hero today, but zero tomorrow if the volumes and profits are not grown.

I have no desire to ever work for anybody else, in Thailand or outside of Thailand. So whether or not I could get a job here or elsewhere with the degree is irrelevant. The on exception to this I've mentioned, that is teaching, however that would be more of a community service and/or hobby activity and I certainly wouldn't be doing it to put food on the table.

I am not fresh out of University, I am 29. And if you can read between the lines of what I've just said, I've already had a great deal of success in the business world. I could write a book on networking. In a society like Thailand it is even more important than in the West - who you know here is absolutely everything. My classmates will some of the major future political and business leaders of this country. If you don't see how simply having access to them and having a rapport with them will be extremely helpful in the future, you don't know much about business or networking...or life in the fast lane.

I have avoided doing business in Thailand because of the requirement to have a 51% Thai partner for any business - and for the corrupt government which I don't understand. Making good relationships with just the right one or two of my Thai classmates will solve both of those problems - and will allow me to go into business here.

What would I have to offer them? An understanding of how to market to Farang (for people who want to go into business in the tourism or expat services industries), an understanding of American and European culture and tastes (for exporters), entrepreneurial ideas (something that might seem simple to you or me but Thai's tend not to be great in this department) and if all else fails - there is always plain old money i.e. starting capital for a business.

I'm actually quite glad I've gotten so much negative feedback in this thread - it has strengthened my resolve and made me far more sure than I previously was that this is the right decision.

I understand the reluctance of starting a business because of corruption, politics, etc. But, you do realize, as a U.S. citizen, you can own the majority of shares with a "Treaty of Amity" company don't you? Also, no need for Thais to hold the majority of shares for a limited number of other types of businesses.

Anyway, the subject is your education, good luck with whatever it is you choose to do.

Edited by beechguy

I understand the reluctance of starting a business because of corruption, politics, etc. But, you do realize, as a U.S. citizen, you can own the majority of shares with a "Treaty of Amity" company don't you? Also, no need for Thais to hold the majority of shares for a limited number of other types of businesses.

Anyway, the subject is your education, good luck with whatever it is you choose to do.

I've heard of it but never really looked into it. Just read the Wikipedia page. Is that really as easy as it sounds? I've never come across an American who owned his own business here - everybody I have met who has owned his own business has had a Thai partner.

What's the catch?

I've heard of it but never really looked into it. Just read the Wikipedia page. Is that really as easy as it sounds? I've never come across an American who owned his own business here - everybody I have met who has owned his own business has had a Thai partner.

What's the catch?

This guy has got to be a troll :)

One minute he's 28, then 29.

Been here 4 years, but was already a great success with his "multi-million" dollar business??? Is American but hasn't heard of the "Treaty of Amity"???

Give me a break... :D

RAZZ

What's the catch?

This guy has got to be a troll :)

One minute he's 28, then 29.

Been here 4 years, but was already a great success with his "multi-million" dollar business??? Is American but hasn't heard of the "Treaty of Amity"???

Give me a break... :D

RAZZ

Funny, I was just thinking you are a troll. You do nothing but follow me around and critique every post I make.

If I said I was 28 it was either an old post (made when I was 28) or a typo. Most likely the former, or you are mistaken.

If I refuted you questioning my business success versus how long I've been in Thailand it would only prompt more questions or cynical responses - the answers to those questions I would probably be unwilling to make for legal and/or tax reasons. You can either believe me or not, In any case, I've reached the limit to how much I'm willing to share on an open forum in that department.

I said I had heard of the Treaty. I just don't know all of the details about it. The other reason I said I don't want to do business in Thailand is the corrupt government. Being able to own my own company does not make me immune to corruption - it just removes the possibility of my partner whacking me to keep half the money.

What business do plan on going into that you are going to be able to make use of your Bangkok University political contacts?

Evidently you didn't read the thread. I am applying to one school: Sasin @ Chulalongkorn

Whatever business I go into I'm sure making contacts at Sasin will be very helpful. Courses look great as well, excited to take several of these:

First year

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/mba/firstyear.html

Second year

http://www.sasin.edu/programs/mba/secondyear.html

Edited by DegenFarang

For someone who purports to have been in the glorious “Land ‘O Thais” the duration you have alluded to (4+ years); sadly you seem to ask some pretty stupid questions as well as come off with some equally stupid answers to advice given.

A person would be hard pressed indeed to find a poster with more hare-brained schemes about how to live in thailand "for a long time", than the posts made by the illustrious poster known as; "DegenFarang".

A simple perusal of his posting history and his ultra-biased posting penchants shows he's truly grasping at proverbial straws to find a way to stay here. One day he's renouncing his US citizenship in favor of becoming "Latvian". The next he's converting to Judaism. After that it was the 10 million baht investment visa or buying a 'thai-elite card'. Now it is attending an Thai University (based solely on the attractiveness of the student body) to continue his marginal education.

Honestly, I’ve truly lost count of all the angles he's tried to work to stay here. Of course all the while residing here on an ED visa to learn the thai language, yet freely admitting he doesn't attend class because and I quote a previous post of his; "everyone I know here speaks engrish". I believe he needs to talk to people other than "time-share" or "rent-2-own" gurlz from the nefarious nite-life areas. Perhaps he might even broaden his horizons a little, because the last time I checked (which I do periodically :D ) these people speak frickin' THAI.

The mind truly wobbles :) , at the posts he's made. I have never met a <deleted>-wit like this in almost 5 years here. :D

FWIW; I wish him all the luck in the world, and I ask him only;

When you leave the glorious "Land 'O Thais" (which we can only hope you do VERY SOON); Please turn out the light. :D

BTW: Concerning the Amity Treaty between the US and Thailand;

There is a nifty thing called Google (dunno if you know about it or not :D ) available on the internet ; a simple entry of “Amity Treaty US Thailand” yielded 265,000 hits in 0.33 seconds. While every hit may not be relevant, I believe there is more than enough good information out there about it to at least know the basics.

I wouldn't be able to travel to very many countries with a passport from Yemen though, so that would defeat the purpose. I certainly don't want to live there - probably the next country the US goes to war with.

And having an Israeli one will be plain sailing then?

• 2 months later...

Bangkok University is Thailand's largest private university and used to be its most expensive (I think ABAC now is). The students tend to be from extraordinarily wealthy families, Chinese Thai, and there are a large number of foreign students from Asia, Europe and US, who tend to be retained.

Its reputation for quality is variable, depending on the area. But the same applies to other universities, e.g. Chula's EL program is not well regarded and there are many complaints about the quality of CU's postgraduate teaching. Some students report that they changed from ABAC to BU's English language programs because the teaching at the latter is superior. It has a good reputation in Business English (undergrad), Communication Arts - including post graduate.

A post graduate friend of mine from Mahidol described BU as the best 'social university' in the kingdom. Not sure what he meant - networking, parties, short skirts, models, TV soap opera stars?

As a third year BUIC student i got to say - its expensive, although cheaper then abac. I am not sure bout the Thai program prices but i do realize school is mostly about money. BMW's Mercs or just pimped out hondas. I see Nam Cha and Dtang Mo running around all the time (sluts;; wooo) and me and some of my richer friends smoke ice and horse in the bathrooms or the student lounge. Sometimes i feel upset when i am in class and the18 year old slut in front of me has her iphone, blackberry, and her dog who is chilling in his Prada dog carrying case and they are having a real time facebook photo shoot when i am trying to focus on the teacher incoherently reading gibberish from the slides. hel_l lets get drunk and high as fuc_k and go party, seems like the A's and B's are still easier enough to get. Can cheat easily and openly in exams, and if it really gets hard you can just buy the degree if you REALLY want too.. think its around 80 - 100 thousand though.. Oh well. I ve heard some terrible shit about the ABAC prof's ie camboadian, burmese, indian, which actually is all fine but just - super sub par teaching skills. BU has a few foreign teachers, some great, some ok, and some who just go with the flow. Now that P'petch has taken over after the passing his father I have seen some great changes starting to come.... and the rama4 campus is awesome compared to moving out to the (albeit) nice abac bangna campus.. which usually involves hardcore drug parties at the bulildings/dorms around there. What can ya do though.. studying is fun but some times its hard. safety first.. 70 percent OF my first year friends are dropped out/ switchd to thai program or just bought their BA..interesting and fun, and those uniforms dont hurt at all either. what can ya do ? keep on rockin in the free world lol!!

As a third year BUIC student i got to say - its expensive, although cheaper then abac. I am not sure bout the Thai program prices but i do realize school is mostly about money. BMW's Mercs or just pimped out hondas. I see Nam Cha and Dtang Mo running around all the time (sluts;; wooo) and me and some of my richer friends smoke ice and horse in the bathrooms or the student lounge. Sometimes i feel upset when i am in class and the18 year old slut in front of me has her iphone, blackberry, and her dog who is chilling in his Prada dog carrying case and they are having a real time facebook photo shoot when i am trying to focus on the teacher incoherently reading gibberish from the slides. hel_l lets get drunk and high as fuc_k and go party, seems like the A's and B's are still easier enough to get. Can cheat easily and openly in exams, and if it really gets hard you can just buy the degree if you REALLY want too.. think its around 80 - 100 thousand though.. Oh well. I ve heard some terrible shit about the ABAC prof's ie camboadian, burmese, indian, which actually is all fine but just - super sub par teaching skills. BU has a few foreign teachers, some great, some ok, and some who just go with the flow. Now that P'petch has taken over after the passing his father I have seen some great changes starting to come.... and the rama4 campus is awesome compared to moving out to the (albeit) nice abac bangna campus.. which usually involves hardcore drug parties at the bulildings/dorms around there. What can ya do though.. studying is fun but some times its hard. safety first.. 70 percent OF my first year friends are dropped out/ switchd to thai program or just bought their BA..interesting and fun, and those uniforms dont hurt at all either. what can ya do ? keep on rockin in the free world lol!!

Outstanding! Now, let's see a show of hands. Everybody who is ready to send their daughter to BU raise your right hand.

Anyone? .... .... .... anyone?

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Wow, what a great place to learn :)

LOL