New: Chaing Mai Weather Forecasts

george

I,m afraid i don't have great faith in the Thai weather forecasting system,however ,I am prepared to give it a go and look forward to the predicted rain on Thursday

Maybe you want to wait a few days and compare the results. These forecasts are not made by Thais. Looking forward to see your feedback.

Cheers

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

First thing we did ... when we saw the announcement about the weather service on TV (applause !) ... was to compare TV's current forecasts with the current WeatherUnderground forecasts for Chiang Mai :

We were relieved to see they were pretty different (two days ago) because our experience has been that the WeatherUnderground forecasts for CM are ... mmm ... kind of a "meteorological fantasia."

We have even hypothesized that the source of WeatherUnderground data for CM may be a local Thai "Mor Doo," or fortune-teller. Or might be a retired farang naval officer basing his predictions on the navel maneuvers on display at the Spotlight Bar.

best, ~o:37;

p.s. please, King of the Nagas, King Mucalinda, hear our prayers; make it rain on Thursday, please, and if your really sexy daughter with the wings, Rani Nagakanya is available, could you put me down for a dance with her for one eternity ?

Well.... I had a look. No posting of hi AND LO (!!) on the daily forecast ? That's silly. Here in the cold season we track the cold as well. And then in the hot season we look to the low to know how much we can expect to cool off at night. So there's some room for immediate improvement, though I welcome a specific CM focused weather attempt like this. It could prove to be a very nice thing. But again, stating daily Hi and Lo is STANDARD. Standard.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how it pans out over the year. But otherwise yeah, tmd does me just fine. They predicted that December rain we had fairly well, though it kept getting pushed back till it finally came.

when it rainys do u ppl ride ur motosai?

ive never ridden on rain b4, but with wet oily roads, its gonna be very slippery?

In the rainy season when it rains a lot, the roads are not overly slippery.

HOWEVER, and this is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT to take note of, the very first rain after a period of drought turns the roads UNBELIEVABLY slippery. Especially if it's light rain and/or soon after it starts, all the accumulated grime and dust forms a thing layer of sludge that's seriously slippery. You can see cars and bikes slide around when this happens.

Best not to go out until it either dries up, or until a lot more rain falls to wipe it all clean. Or if you must drive, then take it VERY slow and hope that no pick up trucks slide into you.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

ive never ridden on rain b4, but with wet oily roads, its gonna be very slippery?

I do. Roads that are suddenly made wet by rain after a long period of dryness can be quite slippery for some time after, as the accumulated dust and oils mix with water and form a slippery solution (usually a matter of just hours, at most, but it depends on, among other things, how much rain there is). Once into the rainy season, though, for example, roads that are rained on almost every day are generally not particularly slippery.

I,m afraid i don't have great faith in the Thai weather forecasting system,however ,I am prepared to give it a go and look forward to the predicted rain on Thursday

Maybe you want to wait a few days and compare the results. These forecasts are not made by Thais. Looking forward to see your feedback.

Cheers

George dont keep us in suspense where does the info come from ? being an ex farmer of sorts I am very interested in rainfall patterns especially in the north where we go for months without any precipatation.

To answer your question, a big NO. It is dangerous enough when the roads are dry. The brakes get wet

and the roads are very slippery. The Thais seem to drive faster in the rain, strange but true. Take a baht

taxi and you will have no regrets. Live and learn, keeping yourself safe is the top priority in Thailand.

Safe riding :)

Cheers

George dont keep us in suspense where does the info come from ? being an ex farmer of sorts I am very interested in rainfall patterns especially in the north where we go for months without any precipatation.

We will announce the sources next week when we have all the bricks in place. More content will be added shortly so we need to coordinate who is responsible for what. Thanks for your patience in the mean time.

They predicted "heavy rain" for today. Did I miss it?

If you click on the link for "Chiang Mai" they give you detailed forecasts for every 6 hour period.

The current forecast is for "rain" and "heavy rain" starting tonight (01:00am Thursday) and raining continuously thru Saturday afternoon (13:00). The high temp forecasted for tomorrow is 22° and for Friday 23°.

I'd offer 10-1 odds that that doesn't happen but I bet I still won't get any takers.

I'll stick with the TMD weather forecasts.

They predicted "heavy rain" for today. Did I miss it?

If you click on the link for "Chiang Mai" they give you detailed forecasts for every 6 hour period.

The current forecast is for "rain" and "heavy rain" starting tonight (01:00am Thursday) and raining continuously thru Saturday afternoon (13:00). The high temp forecasted for tomorrow is 22° and for Friday 23°.

I'd offer 10-1 odds that that doesn't happen but I bet I still won't get any takers.

I'll stick with the TMD weather forecasts.

1 am is not tonight its early Thursday morning ! I think we are all getting a bit excited, so hot today,hit 28 at my place , could happen !!!

OK you win I lose but still nothing on the east side of town. :)

And nothing at all in Hang Dong. However George has been vindicated ,if its raining where you , all skeptics should offer him a grovelling apology or we may not find out where this information is coming from.