Suitcase To The Uk

tolsti

Good afternoon

I am looking to return to the UK towards the end of May for a while. As my return date is undecided I reckon to take my worldly belongings with me. Nothing much and no electicals but certainly more than even the most generous airline would allow as hold baggage.

So the question is and I ask for help here, can anyone recommend an agent in BKK who could arrange for a hard shell suitcase (big samsonite) filled with clothing (personal and used) with an all up weight of appx 35 kgs door to door BKK to Southern England. All customs declared etc and personal use only.

Hope this is the right forum but Mods feel free to move if you wish. I'd be grateful for any advice (polite that is!!)

Good afternoon

I am looking to return to the UK towards the end of May for a while. As my return date is undecided I reckon to take my worldly belongings with me. Nothing much and no electicals but certainly more than even the most generous airline would allow as hold baggage.

So the question is and I ask for help here, can anyone recommend an agent in BKK who could arrange for a hard shell suitcase (big samsonite) filled with clothing (personal and used) with an all up weight of appx 35 kgs door to door BKK to Southern England. All customs declared etc and personal use only.

Hope this is the right forum but Mods feel free to move if you wish. I'd be grateful for any advice (polite that is!!)

Only 35 kgs ? Why can't you take that on the plane with you ? Depending on your ticket, you may have to pay a little more for excess weight. When I went through Bkk last December, I had 50 kgs total. On China Airlines, no charge. On the Thai/Emirates code share I had to pay for being 30kgs over my limit.

Cheaper and quicker to pay the excess than to have it shipped by other means. I've put guys through here that were 8-10 kgs over the limit and the airline just shrugged and let them on with no charge at all.

Good afternoon

Only 35 kgs ? Why can't you take that on the plane with you ? Depending on your ticket, you may have to pay a little more for excess weight. When I went through Bkk last December, I had 50 kgs total. On China Airlines, no charge. On the Thai/Emirates code share I had to pay for being 30kgs over my limit.

Cheaper and quicker to pay the excess than to have it shipped by other means. I've put guys through here that were 8-10 kgs over the limit and the airline just shrugged and let them on with no charge at all.

Thanks Kerry... sorry I should have been clearer....I will be taking another case with me which will be on the limit. That's why I am looking at this route. I'll be taking as cheap a flight as poss (9R excepted) and may end up transiting through Moscow so I am also looking to reduce the lost bags permutations.

For only 35kgs I would try a courier company.Many will not take personal effects, but if you tell them that they are samples...then no problem.They offer a door to door service that includes customs clearance and all other ancillary charges that you normally get from air Freight companies.ie:lump sum payment only, without being extorted at the other end with transfer,customs clearance and delivery fees.

Use "Unaccompanied baggage" service - Thai Airways has a website for its freight service. Probably cost you B 100 per kilo or thereabouts.

You have to take the Unaccompanied Baggage to their Freight Office at Don Muang the day before you fly.

Use "Unaccompanied baggage" service - Thai Airways has a website for its freight service. Probably cost you B 100 per kilo or thereabouts.

You have to take the Unaccompanied Baggage to their Freight Office at Don Muang the day before you fly.

At THB100kg, it would be much cheaper than a courier.might just pay to see what the charges are at the UK end though.

At the airport-TERMINAL 2, directly opposite the entrance doors you will see a "BAGGAGE FORWARDING COMPANY" they are kind of near where you pay your departure tax. :D

They will do it all for you at reasonable prices...by distance I would imagine. A friend used this service and was very pleased with the results. :o

Arrived just fine about 6 days later. :D

Forgot the price but I remeber thinking..."that is not half bad..."

:D

Edited by slapdashkitty

At the airport-TERMINAL 2, directly opposite the entrance doors you will see a "BAGGAGE FORWARDING COMPANY"  they are kind of near where you pay your departure tax.    :D

They will do it all for you at reasonable prices...by distance I would imagine.  A friend used this service and was very pleased with the results.  :o

Arrived just fine about 6 days later.    :D

Forgot the price but I remeber thinking..."that is not half bad..."

:D

Thanks for all the suggestions.... I'll look into them all.

One of my buddies has to take 50 - 80 KG of stuff with him (tools) and flies a lot...

Its often cost effective to fly biz class or even first on certain airlines as the allowance goes up. Plus you get a good seat into the bargain.

One thing to be aware of if you decide to go the excess baggage route... The maximum weight for a single piece of luggage going into Europe is 32kg. If you try to check in a 35kg suitcase, they may ask you to repack it (I had this on an intra-Europe flight a couple of years ago.)

The Health & Safety law changed in early 2003 and since then, this limit has been in place.

One thing to be aware of if you decide to go the excess baggage route... The maximum weight for a single piece of luggage going into Europe is 32kg. If you try to check in a 35kg suitcase, they may ask you to repack it (I had this on an intra-Europe flight a couple of years ago.)

The Health & Safety law changed in early 2003 and since then, this limit has been in place.

What a great forum this is..... ask a question and you get all sorts of helpfull answers. Thanks everyone. I have been looking at flights and found Etihad @ 30,900 Baht Biz Class one way so I reckon with that, a positive smiling attitude and smart appearance I should manage it all OK...... unless of course "anyone knows better" I'll have to ditch some stuff anyway..... not too much call for shorts and flip flops in the UK!!

Try to avoid 'Excess baggage' thats far more expensive than the 'Unaccompanied baggage' method.

(A UK couple got charged 500 quid for their excess 30 kilo suitcase recently - bringing grub to their son in Thailand. )

That a sweet fare for Ettihad business class though. Cheaper than the Economy fares I got quoted yesterday.

Let us know what you eventually choose !

• 2 weeks later...

went to Etihad today to book..... very friendly and helpful.

Turns out BKK - AUH does not have a full business class service at the mo... will do from October. Instead they offer a premium economy to AUH and then business onwards to LGW. Premium econ offers (they say) biz class service but seats are not as big and no personal TVs. But they gave a price reduction so I've ended up paying 27400 for the trip. As regards the baggage allowance they said we normally don't bother you if you have upto 40kgs. Point is that they were up front about all this and didn't just leave it to me to find out. Happy so far..... I'll tell you how it all goes later.

BTW they have some special offers on at the mo.... says 40 000 for 2 people to Europe.

Well, here I am in the UK after a pretty amazing flight. Starting with the check in

at Don Muang everything went like clockwork. The Business cClass ticket took care of the over weight problem ( I reckon I had about 55 kgs). Then I went into the newest Royal Orchid lounge for a couple of beers and a snack beore boarding on time. Inflight service was full business class as they had changed the aircraft and it was real treat. Good food, industrial strenght G + Ts :o and spot on service. 2 meals later and it was Abu Dhabi.... into the the lounge there for an hour and a half and then on to LGW. Once again, the full works and great food. On time into LGW and bags on in 15 mins from arrival ( priority tags worked).

I would not hesitate to use Etihad again and warmly recommend them for service and price. These guys are going to start winning awards soon.