Marriage Registration Overview

I am a US citizen planning on getting married in Bangkok. I want to make this process as efficient and quick as possible to minimize time away from work. I understand I have a lot of questions embedded in this post and I really appreciate the efforts of anyone willing (and able) to answer them. My understanding is that the process goes something like this (according to local sources and other thaivisa posts):

1) Get an affadavit for freedom to marry from the US embassy

• seems easy and quick to do as an individual
  • cost of $30 ~= 1000 baht

2) Get the affadavit translated

• seems easy to do
  • US embassy lists different translation sites: Translation places
  • Q1: Apparently takes about 2 hours. Is this correct?
  • Approximate cost of 400 baht

3) Get the translation certified as a legal document by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Chaeng Wattana road

• Supposedly have express service complete within 1 day for 800 baht. A friend told me he got this done without express service and everything took only about 3 hours.
  • Q2: What have others experienced with the time to get this done?
  • Q3: If you choose normal service, is there a fee?
  • Q4: Is this express service still available? (I read it has been discontinued)
  • Q5: I have read that a new version of the tabien baan is required for this. Does it matter if it's an old or new one?
  • Q6: Are there any other documents required beyond the English and Thai versions of the affadavit? I would assume passport, but I haven't been able to verify this.
  • Q7: Is it required for the foreigner to be present? If the translation services can (supposedly) get this done for you, could I just have the fiance take care of this part for us?

4) Go to a local Ampher to register the marriage

• Q8: I hear Bang Rak is the place for foreign-Thai couples to get this done. Is this true?
  • Q9: 2 witnesses are required, but office staff can (and will) stand in for you. Is this true?
  • Q10: Thai documents required are tabien baan and 2 copies of ID card. Are copies of passport and a copy of tabien baan acceptable for this?
  • Foreign documents required are copy of passport, copy of visa entry stamp, and the affadavit in both English and Thai (with stamp from MOFA)
  • Supposedly the cost is only 40 baht (although there is an (nice?) optional folder for 450 baht).
  • Q11: What is the approximate time on this part?
  • Q12: Supposedly you should also request form kor sor 2 while you are doing this. Why?

Since steps 1 and 2 seem pretty straight forward, this is the most important question here: Q13: If I have steps 1 and 2 finished already, is it possible to complete steps 3 and 4 in 1 day?

1. Make appointment on-line for US Embassy service

2. Yes - they should be able to arrange registration also for added fees.

3. Express service no longer available. You do not have to be present. You do not have a home register so can not be required. There will be a fee.

4. Any District Office can be used but Bang Rak speak good English and very popular for Thai and foreigners both. Two needed but office or waiting applicants can do it - nice to buy them lunch for the service. Expect original home register will be required (it used to be) but not sure as ID card is supposed to be more important these days. ID card must be presented. The Kor Sor 2 is now required by most immigration offices for extensions of stay based on marriage (double check the marriage certificate is real).

• 5 months later...
Get the translation certified as a legal document by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs on Chaeng Wattana road
my apology, i should make thing clearer .....once i enter the building is there any office i must go to or just straight forward to the reception.

They were still located intown when I had registrations made and was an outside sala type place. Believe it is upstairs in the new passport building which is very modern and open with information booths so will not be a problem finding.