Used Books.

james.d

Hi all,

I have amassed over 100 english language books mostly thrillers and all still in good condition, however my shelves (and the wife) are starting to groan at the amount. Anyone know any bookshops that might be willing to take them off my hands at a knock down price?

Thanks in advance,

James

There is a new second hand book shop opened up in Khao Sarn....Sort of opposite Silk Bar...

Leave it on a park bench, a coffee shop, at a hotel on vacation. Share it with a friend or tuck it onto a bookshelf at the gym -- anywhere it might find a new reader! What happens next is up to fate, and we never know where our books might travel. Track the book's journey around the world as it is passed on from person to person.

Taken from their website.... google bookcrossing...

Have a look some people have started already in Thailand..

Edited by sanook2me

Walk just a bit out of the KS Road area to Thammasat University. Go into the main library - Pridibanomyong - and donate them.

The library has a massive collection of English language books, ranging from serious research material up to romance novels.

I own several second-hand bookstores and I can tell you that old paperback thrillers are worth practically nothing. People are bringing in container loads of them almost daily and Thailand is swamped with them and they are very difficult to sell.

I buy new thrillers by popular authors in good condition for around 100 baht, but old ones are a dime a dozen.

Edited by Ulysses G.

Walk just a bit out of the KS Road area to Thammasat University. Go into the main library - Pridibanomyong - and donate them.

The library has a massive collection of English language books, ranging from serious research material up to romance novels.

sounds interesting...are lending privileges available for the general public?

I have a load of books that I want to unload and rather than haggling with used bookshop owners would prefer to donate them; a good selection of quality crime novels (Ruth Rendell, PD James, Ian Rankin, etc) plus a number of technical books that could benefit english proficient mechanical engineering students...

if they were to pick them over then I would take the rest and deposit in the nearest skip for others to apply 459oF...

Hi James

If you're ever in Kanchanaburi there's a new place called Mangosteen Cafe and Books which could be interested. If they are as good as you say then should pay for your transport and a couple of nights break in this lovely part of Thailand. The bookshop here used to be in Jolly Frog where it got a very good reputation and is now just outside the same soi.

Edited by greeneking

sounds interesting...are lending privileges available for the general public?

I have a load of books that I want to unload and rather than haggling with used bookshop owners would prefer to donate them; a good selection of quality crime novels (Ruth Rendell, PD James, Ian Rankin, etc) plus a number of technical books that could benefit english proficient mechanical engineering students...

if they were to pick them over then I would take the rest and deposit in the nearest skip for others to apply 459oF...

You can go into the library, 20 baht per day and scanned picture ID, and use all their facilities, including all the different libraries on campus if you might be doing some research.

It is possible to get a membership which will permit borrowing, but it's been a while since I checked costs. If I remember correctly, the joining fee (annual?) is about 3000 baht, and then there's another deposit, perhaps something similar, which is refunded when you surrender your card. You are then able to borrow a limited number of books (2?) for a limited period of time (2 weeks?) before returning or renewing.

As you can see, my memory on the details is vague, but it is possible to join the university library. However, it might be easier to find a student or faculty friend who could borrow for you. That way you wouldn't be restricted in number of books or time period.