Need Help Trip Plan To Hua Hin

ray23

Hi Ray. This might be the best way to go. You miss the nightmare that is Rangsit and the road works on the 346. Only thing you have to watch is the junction from the 1 to the 9 its not to clear when you are looking at the sign, i think it shows Kanchanapisek road not route 9.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source....532104&z=8

Hope this helps. if you need to know any where to stay in Nakhon pathom etc let me know. Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Lot better then anything I would have came up with.

I will work on getting that porker in the GPS, got a lot of time right now, hope to be riding next month.

Cheers Ray- best time of the year to get out and ride! Give a call if/when you're around Bangkok and perhaps we can meet up. I may be headed up your way on the 15th to hit the MC Lobo Bkie Party in Nong Khai on the 16th. Will you be around? Happy Trails! Tony

Yep I will be at that one 50 Klms hard to pass up :)

Ah cool! Then I'll look forward to seeing you there. May also try my luck at getting across the Friendship Bridge to Laos as I've read reports on GT Rider that some guys are being let across despite the fact that the bridge is supposed to be off limits to motorcycles. Happy Trails! Tony

Tony and/or Allan: are bikes allowed on Route 9? If so that saves me a ton of problems getting to Hua Hin this weekend from SriNakarin Road :D I could jump on 9/ Kanchanapisek at Ramkamhaeng and take it all the way around to Rama 2. Saves me doing the Pattanakan / Soi 71 /Rama 4 / Sathorn / Taksin Bridge route :)

Netfan. I have been on the 9. not sure if allowed. but i had no problems in the 3 times that i have used it. I tend to stay in the outside lane anyway. most plod will not run across 3 lanes of traffic to get ya. if in doubt you can use the service road at the side. Not sure where you are coming from but we are talking about the standard highway, not elevated. The route i gave Ray was the same route i used back from Khon Kaen bike week.

Allan

Thanks Allan - i would be getting on over at the chonburi expressway / ramkamhaeng area, which is where its the eastern ring road, and google says is a toll road. and it looks like the service road dead ends in a few places before it hits pahon yothin. i might give it a go anyway just to see what happens...

Edited by Netfan

Netfan,

Have you tried riding down Bang Trat, straight over Sukhumvit to the river and get the ferry across. Then you can ride up Suksawat to Rama 2.

All legal and no hiding from BIB.

If you haven't and are interested and If you can't figure it out on Google maps let me know.

Tony and/or Allan: are bikes allowed on Route 9? If so that saves me a ton of problems getting to Hua Hin this weekend from SriNakarin Road :D I could jump on 9/ Kanchanapisek at Ramkamhaeng and take it all the way around to Rama 2. Saves me doing the Pattanakan / Soi 71 /Rama 4 / Sathorn / Taksin Bridge route :)

That section of the ring road IS a toll road so bikes are definitely not allowed. (There was a period of time when it was under construction and before the toll gates became operational when we could ride bikes on that road- never once saw a BiB).

straight over Sukhumvit to the river and get the ferry across. Then you can ride up Suksawat to Rama 2.
Forget the ferry. Just take Saphan Wong Wan from Pu Chao Saming Rd. You come out just a few clicks from the Rama II turnoff. Okay, it's not exactly allowed but you see bikes on it all the time as there are no tolls. If the BIB try to stop you (and I've never seen them on there) just blow by as it's rather wide. Edited by RusticCharm

straight over Sukhumvit to the river and get the ferry across. Then you can ride up Suksawat to Rama 2.
Forget the ferry. Just take Saphan Wong Wan from Pu Chao Saming Rd. You come out just a few clicks from the Rama II turnoff. Okay, it's not exactly allowed but you see bikes on it all the time as there are no tolls. If the BIB try to stop you (and I've never seen them on there) just blow by as it's rather wide.

OK. I've used the bridge in a car but didn't know what it or the road was called. I just went over did a U turn and went back. Can't remember if there is a sign for no bikes though. I suspect as there is no toll booth there are no BIB.

I have to pass within 500m of the ferry to get there so the extra twisty stuff on Phrapadeang is about the same for me as going down Sukhumvit or Thang Rotfai Sai.......and over, both end up in the same place. Your's is better going east. Especially at night :)

OK. I've used the bridge in a car but didn't know what it or the road was called. I just went over did a U turn and went back. Can't remember if there is a sign for no bikes though. I suspect as there is no toll booth there are no BIB.
Yeah, signs banning bikes and also signs stating video cameras in action but I've yet to see any. The BIB are occasionally on Suksawat near the junction here (and are very eager!) but as it's an 4 lane highway it's easy to blow by. Just hold back the temptation to give them the finger, as they're armed!  :) If you follow the turnoff to Doa Khanong at the bottom of the bridge, this will point you in the direction of Rama II.

The BIB are occasionally on Suksawat near the junction here (and are very eager!)

I'll have to check the signage because I get onto that short bit before Suksawat coming from Phrapadaeng. I haven't noticed any signs. That's also how I get to Phrapadeang not seen any signs there either but...

ok, thanks for all the suggestions, i ended up taking the way i knew, which was awful on friday morning at 9 a.m. - an hour to get over taksin bridge from rama 9 / sri nakarin. Neal, thanks for the info on the ferry, i know about it, but with sri nakarin being such a mess, it makes the trip to the ferry almost a long. its just one of those things that goes with living out here - although it does cut 25 , 30 minutes off a trip to pattaya :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah, signs banning bikes and also signs stating video cameras in action but I've yet to see any. The BIB are occasionally on Suksawat near the junction here (and are very eager!) but as it's an 4 lane highway it's easy to blow by. Just hold back the temptation to give them the finger, as they're armed!  :) If you follow the turnoff to Doa Khanong at the bottom of the bridge, this will point you in the direction of Rama II.

Saw two HD riders last night on the Industrial Ring, Suksawat to Rama II. They made it.

Head scarves, black masks, mandatory waist coat with "colors". Too dark to see the keys hanging from the belt loop.

Funny thing was that one guy almost got creamed by a car as either he or the bike did not want to negotiate the 75 deg three lane wide corner onto the bridge. So he anchored up and crossed lanes cutting off a car going faster than he wanted to.