Setup Adsl Modem

Seismic

I have had a lot of problems over the past few months with True hispeed (Ha), dropped connections mainly, intermittent throughout the day, but worse in the late evening. I have had True techs out three times, first two times they replaced the adsl modem for tests but as that didnt work they put back my old adsl modem. The third time they claimed there was a line problem to the DSLAM and they had fixed it.

The problem is still evident. So in an attempt to eliminate everything else I have done the following.

Bought a Hi-Spec Splitter for the phone line.

I have replaced my Belkin WiFi router with a Cisco Linksys WRT610N wifi router.

Disconnected the other phones (both had good splitters on them).

None of that seems to have worked, I have a spare Dlink DSL520B ADSL+2 modem and I would like to try that instead of the Billion 5200SR2 adsl modem that True installed.

However I could not seem to get it to work, either with the Wifi router in place or direct into my PC. I assume I should be able to configure it the same as the Billion, but I dont know the settings inside the billion modem. Is there anyway I can connect into the billion modem and check the settings used ??, or alternatively does anyone know how I should configure the D-Link so that it sees the internet connection.

my setup is

Billion modem into Linksys WRT610N into PC. crossover cable from modem to linksys and then supplied ethernet cable from linksys into PC.

• 5 months later...

Some thoughts...

Is the Billion just a modem or a router as well?

To check: in your current setup check the connection settings of the Linksys: does it actually establish the ADSL PPP connection, or does it just obtain an IP address from the Billion. Same question asked differently: did you have to enter your TRUE username/password in the Linksys or not?

I assume the Billion is a router as well, and the Linksys knows nothing about the actual ADSL connection. If so, keep going... (otherwise report back)

If you connect your PC directly to the Billion, does your PC get an IP assigned when set to DHCP? (set the PC to DHCP and check your IP address via ipconfig or otherwise)

If not, try assigning an address (to your PC) manually in the TCP/IP settings, try 192.168.1.10 and 192.168.0.10. Each time do a ping 192.168.x.1 and 192.168.x.254 on the command line to check if the router is accessible. If you find it, access the web interface via http://192... in the web browser.

Username password is probably admin/1234.

If the Billion is only a modem and no router, report back here.

If none of the above works, please try to answer my questions step by step and report back what actually happens.

If you need more info to execute the suggested steps, just ask.

Otherwise wait for somebody else to answer, maybe he/she has a more straight forward approach or already knows some of the answers out of experience with TRUE.

welo

This topic might help you later.