Send My Ubc Signal To Another Tv

thaiowl

I have a UBC box downstairs and a TV in my bedroom upstairs. I bought a sender/receiver from Hong Kong which sends the signal from the UBC box to my upstairs TV. It works fine for 5-10mins, then cuts out. If I turn off the power to the sender (transmitter) and then reconnect the power, it works OK for another 5-10mins until the same problem reoccurs. I thought it was a fault with the sender and got a replacement. However, the problems still occurs. Does UBC have a way of blocking transmission of its signal? Any suggestions how I can solve this problem?

It's probably overheating. It's just a simple RF transmitter/receiver, and if it's poorly made/ventillated, it can overheat very easily.

As Ajarn says, the second UBC installation in a house is fairly cheap. It also allows you to watch two different channels (in two TVs).

We have a similar RF Transmitter/Receiver setup for our second TV set, that was unofficially provided by a UBC guy on his day off... :o

I believe that it cost about THB 4,000 and generally works fine, except when the neighbour uses their microwave oven :D

The installation cost for a proper 2nd service point installed by UBC is THB 7,500 with additional monthly payments of around THB 280.

We didn't bother with the 2nd service point as I felt the installation charge was a real rip-off, especially when you consider that no additional dish or calibration is required, just a bit of cabling….

Rags

It's probably overheating.  It's just a simple RF transmitter/receiver, and if it's poorly made/ventillated, it can overheat very easily.

As Ajarn says, the second UBC installation in a house is fairly cheap.  It also allows you to watch two different channels (in two TVs).

It does have the symptoms of overheating (i.e. cutting out). The transmitter sits on top of the UBC box, which is quite hot. I'll try putting it somewhere else and see what happens.

It's probably overheating.  It's just a simple RF transmitter/receiver, and if it's poorly made/ventillated, it can overheat very easily.

As Ajarn says, the second UBC installation in a house is fairly cheap.  It also allows you to watch two different channels (in two TVs).

Actually, I wasn't referring to another box.... And that ain't cheap at all, last time I checked. I meant the infrared sending unit that sends the (single) UBC signal to another TV. I think it's 1300 baht for the unit, 500 baht for installation. I have a couple of them in my house, but I didn't get them from UBC. You can purchase them in many electronic parts stores, but getting it from UBC will insure free help if there's a problem

You continue to use your standard UBC remote control.

Actually, I wasn't referring to another box.... And that ain't cheap at all, last time I checked. I meant the infrared sending unit that sends the (single) UBC signal to another TV. I think it's 1300 baht for the unit, 500 baht for installation. I have a couple of them in my house, but I didn't get them from UBC. You can purchase them in many electronic parts stores, but getting it from UBC will insure free help if there's a problem

Now I've moved the transmitter away from the warm UBC box, it's stopped cutting out....thanks a lot (I should have thought about overheating). I'm intrigued by the infrared unit you mentioned. Do you mean I can buy such units from UBC (one for each TV) and watch a different station on each TV with just one UBC decoder? Or do you mean I can watch the same UBC channel on each TV? I would love to have each TV able to receive all UBC channels (I have 5 TVs) but it's not worth buying a decoder for each TV. I wonder what hotels do. They don't have a decoder for each room, so they must have a box that sends all channels to the coaxial jack in each room.

The UBC decoder box can get very hot... I've seen the plastic casing melt (yes, melt) into little depressions of the feet of something placed on top of the box.

I was saying that a second point was cheap in terms of the added monthly fee... the installation fee is certainly not cheap.

The installation cost for a proper 2nd service point installed by UBC is THB 7,500 with additional monthly payments of around THB 280. 

The 280 baht for the 2nd set only seems to be an option on the Silver or Gold packages.

http://www.ubc.co.th/eng/GetUBC_Pricing.aspx shows it's 2,000 for a second set on the Platinum package. - Doesn't sound right - but it could just be TiT.

Personally we went for a cabled system linking two TVs to the satellite. - the other TVs just get the Thai channels...

Now I've moved the transmitter away from the warm UBC box, it's stopped cutting out....thanks a lot (I should have thought about overheating). I'm intrigued by the infrared unit you mentioned. Do you mean I can buy such units from UBC (one for each TV) and watch a different station on each TV with just one UBC decoder? Or do you mean I can watch the same UBC channel on each TV? I would love to have each TV able to receive all UBC channels (I have 5 TVs) but it's not worth buying a decoder for each TV. I wonder what hotels do. They don't have a decoder for each room, so they must have a box that sends all channels to the coaxial jack in each room.

Spoke too soon....transmitter still cuts out, even though I've moved it away from the warm UBC box. My last thought is I am using an adapter which converts the tranmitter's three pin plug to a two pig plug to fit the the Thai elec. system. Could losing the earth connection from the three pin cause it to cut out? If not, then I give up and will buy another transmitter system from Panthip etc.

With all the channels I just wish they would supply a decoder that

will change channel in sync with my vcr.

Especially when they bu**er around with the times of the F1 qualifying.