Community Magazine-losing It's Edge?

I can't be the only one that has seen a marked change in this mag over the last 2 years...Only last month they report an accident involving "construction vehicle+probable excess speed" and yet all I ever see are back-slapping restaurant reviews (without a single bad word said) for their advertisers and not an inch of investigative journalism.Stick someone on the ring-road for a day with a digital camera and capture the real issues such as the break-neck speed of the lorries or the disfigurement of the whole island with thoughtless advertising on every available coconut tree.....

This is a real shame because when it was launched I had high hopes but now it has just become another corporate sponsorship vehicle...(Don't believe me?? - go back and find the issue about bar-girl culture-Every photo was taken in Lamai and Chaweng isn't mentioned once in the text - why?? because the surrounding pages were all filled with expensive adverts for spa's and resorts in (you've guessed it) CHAWENG!!!!

Come on Community,stop being a corporate whore and get your hands dirty!!!! :o

Khun Jean or ValentinoXXX - you with me on this one???

I thought the same thing. When it first came out the magazine was vocal over issues such as the state of the roads, and exposing mistakes no matter who made them. Now it does seem to have moved into more of an advertising rag like the other free pamphlets. Maybe it said too much...

the magazine also believes foriegners should pay more for songthaew rides than locals , because foriegners are richer than locals .

the magazine , like you say , has lost its balls to the advertisers and is no better than any of the other giveaways advertising yet another world beating italian restaurant , another international tailor shop , another world famous interior design shop and another fantastic housing project (computer generated drawings) , all on a lawless island with sh1tty roads , occasional electricity and water and some of asias greediest , laziest and most untrustworthy people.

the magazine , like the island whose community it claims to represent , has become lazy , greedy and second rate.

thankfully its free.

Absolutely agree. You see it many times, something starts with a good idea until money is becoming a problem, employees or freelance journalists kan not be paid the right amount. Advertisers suggest something and to keep it alive they will do it.

I give this magazine a year before it will disappear or somebody takes it over and revives it and then the cyclus starts again.

Experience has taught me, their style of magazine will actually become even more viable, financially. It has probably the best layout and graphic design of almost any mag in thailand and key advertisers like that. Advertisers want to believe they're appealing to the top % of the mass demographic (not to the avg Joe and Nok) and the more 'hi class' looking/sounding a mag is, the more a mag can charge for ad rates and the more each competitor will long to be 'seen' in it (including Expat businesses, not just 'Hi So' Thai businesses) - regardless if in reality anyone's actually reading it cover to cover.

Ironically, it IS often the avg Joe & Nok whom are looking to buy that house, business, eat at that restaurant etc. Just bcoz you don't drive around in a mercedes or have an elite card doesn't mean you don't have money but apparently, you're not reading the mag or ads anyways, so why do co's advertise?

It sounds a bit backwards but the fact is, the top mags in TIT can't afford to concentrate if the reader is actually reading it, as long as the advertiser says 'hey, our Ad looks great and we believe the mag looks like it appeals to our target'. (paradoxically, is anyone actually reading their Ad tho??) Regardless, the advertiser is unwittingly dictating the style of the mag to a larger degree, not the reader. (they pay, we don't).

Bottom line? Don't blame the mag, they're just doing what they must to be financially viable, regardless if they wanted it to go this way (this applies to mags generally in Thailand).

Naysayers, try making your own mag that truly reflects your community, warts and all - it would perhaps be more popular and more read than any other but you'll find it an uphill battle to coax advertisers in this truly 'upside down' market.

Edited by bahtandsold

Community magazine, leaves a lot to be desired.An editor who is a frustrated wanna be headmaster. The reporting is haphazard with no follow up.Such a magazine could be used in great length to further the community needs & issues.

Ok so we are FARANGS living here, does that mean according to the editor that we have no voice at all & any constructive criticism we give is just brushed off.

Great pity.The $$$$$$$$$ always takes over.Sorry the BAHT.

Glad to see I'm not alone and in reply to a previous post I'd love to "start my own" but that somewhat misses the point...Initially they talked themselves up as virtual "saviours" of the "Community" they claimed to represent and then let us down;maybe they need a re-launch as "KISS-ASS MONTHLY" :o

Another example comes to mind: They huffed and puffed about the style of some of the buildings on the island and then went and painted their ring-road office bright <deleted>' yellow!!! :D

Maybe we can coax a response from them....(nah, don't be silly,they're all out on a free lunch!!) :D

Experience has taught me, their style of magazine will actually become even more viable, financially. It has probably the best layout and graphic design of almost any mag in thailand and key advertisers like that. Advertisers want to believe they're appealing to the top % of the mass demographic (not to the avg Joe and Nok) and the more 'hi class' looking/sounding a mag is, the more a mag can charge for ad rates and the more each competitor will long to be 'seen' in it (including Expat businesses, not just 'Hi So' Thai businesses) - regardless if in reality anyone's actually reading it cover to cover.

Ironically, it IS often the avg Joe & Nok whom are looking to buy that house, business, eat at that restaurant etc. Just bcoz you don't drive around in a mercedes or have an elite card doesn't mean you don't have money but apparently, you're not reading the mag or ads anyways, so why do co's advertise?

It sounds a bit backwards but the fact is, the top mags in TIT can't afford to concentrate if the reader is actually reading it, as long as the advertiser says 'hey, our Ad looks great and we believe the mag looks like it appeals to our target'. (paradoxically, is anyone actually reading their Ad tho??) Regardless, the advertiser is unwittingly dictating the style of the mag to a larger degree, not the reader. (they pay, we don't).

Bottom line? Don't blame the mag, they're just doing what they must to be financially viable, regardless if they wanted it to go this way (this applies to mags generally in Thailand). 

Naysayers, try making your own mag that truly reflects your community, warts and all - it would perhaps be more popular and more read than any other but you'll find it an uphill battle to coax advertisers in this truly 'upside down' market.

SAD BUT OH SO TRUE, your response is absolutley spot on

SAD BUT OH SO TRUE, your response is absolutley spot on

Wonder how this also translates to website's advertisers in TIT? For example, TV has the top 'farang' traffic in Thailand according to Thai stats and can therefore absolutely drive traffic to any advertiser. Yet, lame boring 'conventional' sites (which frankly spoon corporate pablum) :o of course have blue chip advertisers coming out there ying yang, despite the fact noone's even looking comparitively.

Back on topic - For the record, Community Mag has probably THE best graphical Layout and design of any mag in Thailand (Chiang Mai CityLife being up there as well).

If anyone wants a community tell-all expose mag, you'll have to make your own. Expect to spend approx 2-4 mil in the first year and then pray for advertisers and just try not to sell out just a bit.... :D

Edited by bahtandsold

I can't be the only one that has seen a marked change in this mag over the last 2 years...Only last month they report an accident involving "construction vehicle+probable excess speed" and yet all I ever see are back-slapping restaurant reviews (without a single bad word said) for their advertisers and not an inch of investigative journalism.Stick someone on the ring-road for a day with a digital camera and capture the real issues such as the break-neck speed of the lorries or the disfigurement of the whole island with thoughtless advertising on every available coconut tree.....

This is a real shame because when it was launched I had high hopes but now it has just become another corporate sponsorship vehicle...(Don't believe me?? - go back and find the issue about bar-girl culture-Every photo was taken in Lamai and Chaweng isn't mentioned once in the text - why?? because the surrounding pages were all filled with expensive adverts for spa's and resorts in (you've guessed it) CHAWENG!!!! 

Come on Community,stop being  a corporate whore and get your hands dirty!!!! :o 

Khun Jean or ValentinoXXX - you with me on this one???

I got your back on that one, totally agree

Edited by Noodles