More Tuk-tuk Trouble In Phuket

webfact

Capitalism, suppy and demand baby. If more people would start walking to where they need to go then the tuk-tuk buisness would lose money and then they might lower there prices.

Can any of you say you would have told the tousist "no 150 is too much", if you were the tuk-tuk driver? NO you would not have, you would have gotten AS MUCH AS YOU COULD! Just like this driver.

That said, this tourist agreed to a price then reniged on the deal. If he negotiated a bad price, oh well. Next time he would now to go for a cheaper rate. Once an agreemant has been reached one should do the honorable thing and keep your end of the bargain. There is a term for trying to renig and renegotiate contracts after they have been signed, wont mention it here, use your imagination.

The violence is another matter, but if the tourist indeed did kick him, then he got what was coming. And i hope he gets charged also!

OMG, another trip to Cloud Cuckoo Land. What logical reason would a tourist kick a thuggish tuk tuk driver as a first strike? I suppose it is possible that he kicked in self defense after being attacked. I can't believe ANYONE thinks there is even any chance the driver is being truthful. Truly amazing.

Edited by Jingthing

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Agreed to pay 150 baht for the ride...reached destitnation want to pay only 100 baht....now who is trying to rip off who :)

I have seen many such incidents especially in Chiangmai where farangs argue over a few bahts after a ride in a ' songtaew ' or a trishaw peddeled by old man. :D

Look folks, nobody is claiming it was smart to do anything that might anger one of these scamming hot headed tuk tuk drivers. That was a mistake. However, the tuk tuk driver's violent assault was not justified. Like I said before, instead of calling his mafia thug buddy, he could have merely said fine I am going to call the police now. Chances are the Canadian would have paid then. If not, he would have paid when the police arrived. Granted, it might take some time for the police to come and beating up the Canadian was quicker "instant justice" for the thug driver. But there is no excuse for this criminal behavior at all. Those obsessing about how the Canadian should have just eaten the rip off fare are not really relevant, of course it was a mistake. However, this would not be an international news story without the violent assault by the driver and now the outrageous and obviously fabricated charge by the driver. It would have been settled quietly between a few individuals, in a CIVILIZED way. There's the rub isn't it, the civilized part?

Edited by Jingthing

I can't count the number of times I've hopped on a motorcycle taxi here in Bangkok, agreeing to a price for the destination, then upon getting there it's 60 baht instead of 40 because 'lod dit maak'. Would the people here who supported the tuk-tuk driver say it's justifiable for me to break the guy's nose for ripping me off? I mean, seriously now.

Anyway, hope this guy gets the appropriate punishment for assault.

Such a low amount to be "ripped off" for the customer should have just chalked it up as a learning experience. Anyway, this was a breach of contract. In this case, the Tuktuk driver should have just called the tourist police on the passenger, instead of beating him up.

I also think that once the passenger agreed to pay the 150 Baht fee. He should have paid the fee. Then take it as a cheap lesson. Was he ripped off. Yes he was!

The passenger only paying 100 Baht instead of the agreed upon 150 Baht. Does not entitle the Tuk Tuk driver to call a friend and assault the passenger, or assault the passenger himself. This was a very cowardly assault.

I for one will not visit Phuket. Despite having wanted to visit. I have been disuaded by the current climate on the island.

For me transporation in Phuket is a basic necessity. So until the Thai authorites clean up the situation with transportation. I won't visit there.

Obviously fares need to be set in a fair way. Meters should be installed, if they are not used licenses should be lost, and fines impossed. Tuk Tuk drivers should receive training in order to get a license. It should be made clear. If you assault a customer, you will permanently loose your license, fines, costs and other penalities may likely be impossed.

TAT needs to take a good look at these recurring problems. They are creating a disgrace for Thailand as a nation.

The hot potato has now landed in the Canadian ambassador's lap. Hopefully he can tear himself away from his important golf game business and do something on Mr. Anwar's behalf. The treatment of Mr. Anwar by the authorities might create a diplomatic headache for Thailand. This could actually be a good thing in the long term. C'mon, let's hear it for Ronnie Hoffmann who took on the ambassador job last September. (Couldn't have come fast enough because I was never impressed by his predecessor Dave Sproule. On paper, the ambassador looks like a good prairie boy and a career diplomat. It is interesting that he came via the Afghanistan posting so he should have experience working in a mileu rife with corruption. :) C'mon Ronnie, go on down to Phuket and give the world a sign that the embassy is going to protect its nationals. And please don't send Patsy Atkinson because I think the locals might just piss themselves laughing. I have this depressing vision of her going oh hellooooo, so nice to meet you. You know we must object to the beating of Mr. Anwar. Please promise not to do that again, ok, Thanks ever so much. Have a nice day, ok.

Ron Hoffmann (BA Honours, University of Manitoba, 1984; MA [international Affairs], Norman Paterson School of International Affairs, Carleton University, 1990) worked as special assistant to Ontario’s minister of the environment and as policy adviser in the Office of the Premier of Ontario prior to joining the Department of External Affairs and International Trade in 1989. He has since served abroad in The Hague, Johannesburg, Beijing and London. In his posting in London, Mr. Hoffmann was minister (political affairs and public diplomacy). At Headquarters, he has served with the Export Finance and Capital Projects Division, the Trade Planning and Coordination Division, the Africa and Middle East Trade Development Division, and as director of the Defence and Security Policy Division. From 2001 to 2002, he served as senior departmental assistant to former foreign affairs ministers John Manley and Bill Graham. Mr. Hoffmann is currently ambassador to Afghanistan. He and his wife, Andrea, have two daughters, Elise and Ingrid. Mr. Hoffmann succeeds David Sproule.

The guy should have paid 150 baht and been on his way. Don't protest over a buck and a half. One thing I've learned in foreign countries is to pick your battles. Are the tuk tuk drivers in Phuket rude? Yes. Are they thugs? Yes. Is there another way to get around in Phuket if you don't have a car or motorbike? No. So negotiate the fare and pay what you agreed to. Case closed.

You are my hero - why couldn't the guy have spoken to an oracle like you first and saved himself a beating. I bet he wishes he had access to your wisdom. :)

Can any of you say you would have told the tousist "no 150 is too much", if you were the tuk-tuk driver? NO you would not have, you would have gotten AS MUCH AS YOU COULD!

Clearly, your idea of getting repeat customers differs from mine....

Simon

I thought Phuket was supposed to be full of warm and kind hearted locals who got huge pleasure out of serving the local tourist throng.Big spending tourists in grossly over priced third world resorts like Phuket and greedy'importe locals dont mix!!! The tuk tuk situation will never get better because why should it???

50 B to most tourist is peanut money but to the tuk driver, it is food for the family. No wonder he is angry enough to resort to violence. Foreigners should know better than to pick on the poor. Price was agreed and a contract sealed. No court will defend you. What you expect? That the driver will allow you to take food off his family? Be sensible & smart.

I for one will not visit Phuket. Despite having wanted to visit. I have been disuaded by the current climate on the island.

TAT needs to take a good look at these recurring problems. They are creating a disgrace for Thailand as a nation.

Agreed. I haven't been to Phuket for seven years now and will not be visiting again. Even my Thai friends here in the north have no desire to go there as the scams and the expense are heard about before any positive story.

The worrying thing is that a lot of the two week holidaymakers from back home (wherever yours may be) have no idea that Phuket is not really representative of Thailand as a whole. Collectively, we can do a better job than TAT will ever do. Warn your family and friends about what to avoid if they come here i.e. Phuket, Duty-Free, Airport Limo's etc

And for the tuk-tuk apologists, do you seriously believe Mr Anwar would have provoked two drivers by kicking one in the torso? It's just their way of lessening any sentence(as if :) ) and/or forcing the foreigner to pay the fine to be able to leave the country and thus have the charges dropped.

Anwar was fined 1000 baht for being impolite, passport was returned and he flew out at 2pm.

What a joke.

WHAT A joke... The picture show his stomach not his chest with a red mark, and if that was from ONE kick, Anwar must have huge feet/legs.

Also if the TUKTUK was telling the truth why was he first charged and refused bail? This is a crock of S*!t. I can't believe the police/local courts can be bullied by the TUK TUKs.

Mr infernalman7, your kind is among the worst there is. When we as humans just dont care any more to stop all kind of shit that we are experience here in Thailand, than we are in big trouble. I do not care a bit if Thailand do not care.... But for every complaint you make, it will rub off in some thais face in one way or another.

OK, to complain to a tuc tuc driver is stupid, but why not go to the hotel, why not go to the travelagency where you bought your tickets and why not go to the police.

I am convienced that if 100.s of turistst come in during a month and complain about the same thing, of course it will rub of in the face of the chief of the police..

So I do not agree at all that people shall leave the country instead of making a complaint, by complaining you are changing, maybe not in your little world, but it does in mine.

For the rest of what you write I do agree, of course leaving your homecountry as a tourist you shall try to adapt and take responsibility for your own actions. In this case honour your own contract that you signed. If not you´re rightfully in deep problem (not violence of course).

Glegolo

Nah I didn't say that complaining is not going to do anything. But complaining here on Thai Visa will not do much at all, since the message is not even reaching any of them.

I do feel that its probably the bitchiest move to just call all the Thais unintelligent monkeys. I feel very disgusted with this attitude of some people. Seriously like they are so much more civilized that they are entitled to call the people of the country you have a privilege to stay or live in monkeys.

Let's face it....the only reason they want to fight is to get physically close to men! Why don't they just "come out"?

Insulting them by accusing them of being gay is pretty ignorant. It implies there is something wrong with being gay. We should only be so lucky if they were all gay. We aren't so lucky.

My apologies for trying to throw some much needed humour into the debate!

Anwar was fined 1000 baht for being impolite, passport was returned and he flew out at 2pm.

What a joke.

Nothing but blackmail to return the passport and his freedom. :)

Anyway, I think he does not want to visit Krabi anymore. :D

And let that be a lesson to all of you!

What a joke.

Nothing but blackmail to return the passport and his freedom. :)

Anyway, I think he does not want to visit Krabi anymore. :D

Aftr 15 pages I may have lost the plot, but this is the first post I've seen that has used such terminology

Mr infernalman7, your kind is among the worst there is. When we as humans just dont care any more to stop all kind of shit that we are experience here in Thailand, than we are in big trouble. I do not care a bit if Thailand do not care.... But for every complaint you make, it will rub off in some thais face in one way or another.

OK, to complain to a tuc tuc driver is stupid, but why not go to the hotel, why not go to the travelagency where you bought your tickets and why not go to the police.

I am convienced that if 100.s of turistst come in during a month and complain about the same thing, of course it will rub of in the face of the chief of the police..

So I do not agree at all that people shall leave the country instead of making a complaint, by complaining you are changing, maybe not in your little world, but it does in mine.

For the rest of what you write I do agree, of course leaving your homecountry as a tourist you shall try to adapt and take responsibility for your own actions. In this case honour your own contract that you signed. If not you´re rightfully in deep problem (not violence of course).

Glegolo

Nah I didn't say that complaining is not going to do anything. But complaining here on Thai Visa will not do much at all, since the message is not even reaching any of them.

I do feel that its probably the bitchiest move to just call all the Thais unintelligent monkeys. I feel very disgusted with this attitude of some people. Seriously like they are so much more civilized that they are entitled to call the people of the country you have a privilege to stay or live in monkeys.

To learn that the passenger is now being further victimized by the driver with the help of the cowardly BiB is really making my blood boil, not that I can do anything about it.

How I'd love to be in an alternate reality where in court the judge throws the book at this mustachioed thug and makes him liable for all Mr Anwar's bills and loss of earnings, slap a hefty fine on him for wasting court time by filing false charges and add a month or two on his sentence for the same thing - putting him out of business for the foreseeable future. I better stop, I'm even making me self laugh thinking this could ever happen.

If you lot think there's going to be any kind of justice meted out here don't hold your breath. This is Thailand. This place is my home, but it's quite mental and regularly unjust with cases like this. I can't change anything about it and my love for my better half and this beautiful country make me have to swallow it. Though it is a bitter pill sometimes.

As some people have already stated Mr Anwar has absolutely no reason to kick the driver whatsoever - why would anyone do that? Especially a tourist on an R&R break. I am positive he did not kick the driver and if he did.....

Is Mr Anwar some kind of ninja? Have any of you lot tried getting your leg high enough to kick someone in the abdomen!? Have a go yourself, not actually kicking someone mind. It's pretty hard considering he managed to leave some "bruising". As already proposed I don't think the driver got those injuries from a kicking at the hands of Mr Anwar.

I'll say this again - given the fact this is the second story within a very short time-frame makes me believe the problem lies with the organized thuggery in Phuket and NOT the inability of unwitting tourists to play by their disgusting rules. It needs to be eradicated by the local government in conjunction with the BiB.... I better stop, I'm making myself laugh again. This is a serious issue.

Never going to Phuket.

Never taking a tuk-tuk.

Peeing in the wind with my movement.

Edited by ManInSurat

Not defending the actions of the driver by any means but didn't the guy agree to 150 then offer 100. Probably not a good idea in any foreign country over 50 baht.
Agree, the fare had been negotiated so be it, there are two sides to the story. The fact that the driver had been refused bail indicates he is known to the police, that could favor the complainents story.

...the price the driver "negotiated" shoud let him loose his and the operators licence. Thats very bad profiteering and somebody must them make a end.

... for the rest, any month in jail will teach him to respect foreigners.

This makes my blood boil, the fact that they then victimized the tourist more... I just emailed my family telling them to change their trip plans to see me here in Phuket, I would rather meet them in Cambodia, or Chang Mai, as Phuket does not deserve tourist revenue.

Edited by MyphuketLife

What's new is that there is growing resistance to being victimised because of one's race

I'm actually a bit surprised that this was even newsworthy. This kind of stuff goes on all the time does it not? Tourist gets scammed, beat up and extorted. Rah rah so what else is new.

What's new is that there is growing resistance to being victimised because of one's race
I'm actually a bit surprised that this was even newsworthy. This kind of stuff goes on all the time does it not? Tourist gets scammed, beat up and extorted. Rah rah so what else is new.

I don't think this is a race or even a tourist thing, these guys victimize tourists of all races, and even victimize fellow Thai's.

UPDATE

Canadian confesses, pays fine at Phuket Court

PHUKET: Canadian tourist Ivan Bob Anwar, who was involved in a punch-up with a Patong tuk-tuk driver earlier in the week, has been ordered to pay a 1,000 baht fine after confessing to assault charges.

Mr Anwar, 51, paid the fine at Phuket Provincial Court earlier today after pleading guilty to charges of assault against tuk-tuk driver Tassanarit Damthong, 30.

The charges against Mr Anwar followed similar charges filed by the Canadian against Mr Tassanarit on Tuesday, the day the altercation took place.

Mr Tassanarit's preliminary hearing took place yesterday at Phuket Provincial Court, where he was granted bail.

He will have to appear in court at a later date to face his assault charges.

As for Mr Anwar, he paid his fine and got his passport back from police this morning.

His case was fast-tracked through the court so he could return home and not have to extend his trip.

At the time of writing, he was expected to fly out of Phuket this evening bound for Bangkok, intending to catch his connecting flight to Tokyo.

Mr Anwar has for years worked in Japan as an English teacher.

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2010-01-07

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

How about this idea? Make the tuk tuk mafia illegal. Have the province take over all the existing tuk tuks. Train and hire TOURISM AMBASSADOR DRIVERS complete with white gloves, clean fashionable uniforms, and complementary cold beverages. Make the tuk tuk service FREE. Make the drivers government workers. Pay for the service with an increased hotel tax. Ban all past Phuket drivers from eligibility for the jobs. Instead hire lovely polite young men and women, perhaps even reforming some prostitutes (who can be very polite people). Also, no more tuk tuk mafia territory turf wars. For the sake of EFFICIENCY the new tuk tuks are never restricted where they can pick up passengers. They take to Hotel A, they can pick up at Hotel A, they don't have to run back to their mafia stand for the next customer. Such a radical move would transform a huge negative into a huge positive. The tuk tuks instead of being a curse would become a tourist attraction.

Edited by Jingthing

How about this idea? Make the tuk tuk mafia illegal. Have the province take over all the existing tuk tuks. Train and hire TOURISM AMBASSADOR DRIVERS complete with white gloves, clean fashionable uniforms, and complementary cold beverages. Make the tuk tuk service FREE. Make the drivers government workers. Pay for the service with an increased hotel tax. Ban all past Phuket drivers from eligibility for the jobs. Instead hire lovely polite young men and women, perhaps even reforming some prostitutes (who can be very polite people). Also, no more tuk tuk mafia territory turf wars. For the sake of EFFICIENCY the new tuk tuks are never restricted where they can pick up passengers. They take to Hotel A, they can pick up at Hotel A, they don't have to run back to their mafia stand for the next customer. Such a radical move would transform a huge negative into a huge positive. The tuk tuks instead of being a curse would become a tourist attraction.

Make a mafia illegal, you must forget you are in Thailand :):D