Ocean Life To Be Found At Pattaya Beach?

Dirk_brijs

is there any ocean life to be found at Pattaya beach or shore line

wondering if there are any kind of starfish, crabs, clams or shrimp are to be found in the shallow waters of Pattaya bay.

So tell me what you have seen walking the beach and or rocks around Pattaya (Wong Amat?) and where it was.

Especially wondering if people saw starfish at all yet here?

Yeah, down at Na Jomtien, down past Pinnacle Resort and keep going till the end of the road, a breakwater there and some rock pools, Starfish, Sea Urchins, Crabs and lots of useful bits of rope!! :) , for some bizzare reason i always seem to pick up a handy bit of rope when i have been there?? :D

Was swmming in the sea along Wongamat beach some months ago...suddenly I was surrounded with small flying fish which darted in and out of the water around me. The entire school moved on as quickly as they arrived.

Around Aug, I was on Dong Tan beach...many jellyfish washed on shore. One had a body (ie the transparent bit without the tentacles) of at least 2 feet in diameter.

I also see little crabs running in between rocks at Wongamat. Furthermore, locals seem to dig for clams near the water's edge.

Have not seen any starfish yet.

• 7 months later...

Some OT replies have been removed. :)

The OP is serious so please try to keep replies related to the topic at hand.

spoilsport...I just wanted to say something along the lines...would you consider E colis being marine life...:whistling:

during certain months lots and lots of brown/beige starfish at the town end of jomtien, many of them die on the sand in low tide...we keep throwing them back in the deep water, but there is too many...unfortunately the sea is more and more a garbage dump. the last few weeks the shoreline and the first 50 meters into the sea are lined with garbage and tons of disgusting condoms, clearly they are from sewage dumped in the sea. a shame.

would like to restart this thread

anyone ever saw starfish?

Yes, I have seen many as posted earlier. Na Jomtien is the place to find them. Various sizes.

One particular species is fairly large. Legs/tentacles/stars up to a foot long coming out from a body base of about 4 inches. Pinky orange colour.

I have rescued many of them when they get stranded at low tide. Sadly they are difficult to pick up as they disacrd a limb easily. This does not kill them it is a defence mechanism like lizards shedding their tales.

Onother type I found inside a broken beer bottle - it was a brittle star red in colour with about 8 inch long legs - fast moving as well for this sort of animal.

Low tide at Na Jomtien also reveals "Sand Dollars' these are a kind of flat burrowing sea urchin - they are dark grey flat disc about 2 inches across and a five legged pattern on the surface. When you pick them up they feel "hairy' and you then see the thousands of hairs/legs moving on the surface of the animal.

Loads of small hermit crabs and billions of tiny pea crabs sift through the mud/sand and leave tiny discarded mud balls.

Hope this helps.

Sadly - the beach can be a mine field or trash. But worth the effort if you are really interested in seeing these creatures.

:jap: