Chiang Mai To Sukothai

roger1999

I need to travel from Chiang Mai to Sukothai and return two days later. I just found out there are no more direct flights and I'm not willing to fly via Bangkok. I'm scared of buses here but I may not have a lot of options. Any ideas? I'm looking for safety, not trying to save cash. Thanks.

I've made the trip by bus several times and it's really OK, bus leaves around 9am and gets there about four/five hours later, only other option is to rent a car and drive (not a bad road) or take a taxi (expensive) and not any safer than the other alternatives. An extravagant way to make the trip would be to fly to Bangkok and then take Bangkok Airways to Sukhothai, but jeeze..!

Edited by chiang mai

Why not get a van and driver? He would pick you up at home/hotel, drive as slow as you wish, you would have transportation while there, and then he would bring you all the way back to your residence. Departure time, travel around Sukhothai, going to meals, work/pleasure during the day, return time to your home: all at your direction and convenience.

Could also take along 10 of your closest friends and neighbors for no extra cost. Take gifts for the people in Sukhothai and bring souvenirs home.

Wonderful way to travel around.

• 2 months later...

That train to Phitsanulohk... is that the final destination? And how long is the taxi ride from there to Sukothai?

Looking to take a trip down there next Tuesday if I can.

[/quote

I think the fastest train leaves about 0830 and arrives at P'Lok around 1500.

It's a few years since I've been there, but I just wandered around and got buses to Sukothai and Sri Sachanalai, which is more natural in my opinion - but both places are great!

Might be starting to get very hot in that neck of the woods.

I see fares from Chiang Mai to Sukothai on google...both Bangkok Airlines and Thai Airlines.

Fares are stupid expensive. Really about what you would pay to fly to Bali, or Vietnam, or even Taiwan.

Take the bus, or ride a motorsai or drive a car there.

I am still in shock seeing the airfare quoted...frikkin' ridiculous.

I see fares from Chiang Mai to Sukothai on google...both Bangkok Airlines and Thai Airlines.

Fares are stupid expensive. Really about what you would pay to fly to Bali, or Vietnam, or even Taiwan.

Take the bus, or ride a motorsai or drive a car there.

I am still in shock seeing the airfare quoted...frikkin' ridiculous.

The websites of Nokair show no flights from CM to THS. Thai Air no flights to THS. Bangkok Air one flight from Bangkok to THS none from CM. So flying to Sukothai is not an option from Chiang Mai.

Train to Phitsanulohk and then bus or taxi.

Well, that's nice when you're a tourist, doign it for the experience, but the train takes for-ev-ver to even get to Phitsanulok, and then you still need to get to the bus station and find a bus. I don't think that's a realistic option for anything other than sightseeing. (And I do like that train ride, don't get me wrong)