Pm Not Support Thai Labourers To Work Abroad

george

PM not support Thai labourers to work abroad

OMAN: -- Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said today that he does not support Thai labourers to work abroad, but his administration would, instead, promote the export of skilled Thai workers.

"I personally do not support unskilled Thai nationals to work abroad, as it's likely they may be taken advantaged of and their payrolls are not high enough. If they can find jobs in the country, I'd like them to work locally", he told TNA reporter during his official visit to Oman today.

"If they've already worked in foreign markets and used to it, that's fine", he added.

The Thai leader said, however, that his administration would encourage skilled Thai workers, including nurses, carpenters, mechanics and chefs, to work abroad.

The Ministry of Labour would take care of Thai nationals working abroad, and would be instructed to provide them with basic knowledge of foreign languages they are needed to use in the countries, the prime minister disclosed.

Mr. Thaksin is paying official visits to Jordan and Oman, scheduled for 25-27 April, during which the TNA reporter are accompanying him and his entourage, which includes Foreign Minister Kantathir Suphamongkhon, Commerce MinisterThanong Bidaya and Energy Minister Viset Choopiban.

The trips are aimed at strengthening ties and cooperation between Thailand and the two Gulf states.

--TNA 2005-04-27

OMAN: --  Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said today that he does not support Thai labourers to work abroad, but his administration would, instead, promote the export of skilled Thai workers.

In the Middle East it is not good for Thai domestics, nor Filipina / Indonesian or others. Subject to rape, abuse, so on. But as for limiting the export of workers to skilled tradesmen ...... I used to send back about one third of the people provided by the recruiting company, as being useless. We tried to set up our own recruiting company, but this was against Thai law.

The vast majority of Thais working abroad are unskilled / semi-skilled. These are bringing in valuable foreign currency, instead of watching rice grow.

What does this man think? That he can compete with Filipinos in mechanical trades? Never. Compete with Malaysians at IT work? Never.

The Thai worker has one thing going for him - you show him what you want - exactly - wind him up in the morning and he will work all day. But don't ask him to think. (Don't ask the Filipino to think either - you will be in deep trouble!!)

"I personally do not support unskilled Thai nationals to work abroad, as it's likely they may be taken advantaged of and their payrolls are not high enough. If they can find jobs in the country, I'd like them to work locally", he told TNA reporter during his official visit to Oman today.

Hey Mr. Big, guess what? If these people could find decent jobs in Thailand, chances are very good that they would want to stay in Thailand. I doubt that many unskilled Thais take on a job in Oman, Saudi Arabia, or wherever out of some genuine desire to work abroad and experience that country.

OMAN: --  Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra said today that he does not support Thai labourers to work abroad, but his administration would, instead, promote the export of skilled Thai workers.

"I personally do not support unskilled Thai nationals to work abroad, as it's likely they may be taken advantaged of and their payrolls are not high enough. If they can find jobs in the country, I'd like them to work locally", he told TNA reporter during his official visit to Oman today

--TNA 2005-04-27

I really don`t know where Toxin is coming from.

He wants the unskilled people who are trying to better themselves and their families to work locally in Thailand for a pittance.

All other countries want to keep their skilled labour within their own country....but Toxin wants to export Thailand`s so called skilled labour force abroad.

This statement can only be him paying `lip` service to Oman as it just doesn`t make any sense.

The Ministry of Labour would take care of Thai nationals working abroad, and would be instructed to provide them with basic knowledge of foreign languages they are needed to use in the countries, the prime minister disclose
yeah tell me about it: every time some poor shmo here gets in to trouble, they are stuck and stranded : no language, and ripped off when sent home.....we just got a thai worker that sat for two months in the holding tank for non visa workers; we got his visa, he's here, and a good guy but the embassy did jack! also to other guys i know; they just sit and cool their heels and suffer and many times its the fault of the manpower companies who lie about having a visa for place of work (tomorrow, tomorrow etc, until they get nabbed)
The Thai worker has one thing going for him - you show him what you want - exactly - wind him up in the morning and he will work all day. But don't ask him to think.
(if you ask a thai worker to come up with new ideas for the same work etc, the ones with good heads on their shoulders do so; i work with somebody for 3 yrs and he thinks , same as the guy before him (4 years); and the new guy we just got for the chicken houses, etc etc, you are pretty snooty i should say... ) ...

the only things this will do is raise those giagantic payments to manpower agencies to even higher amounts, the workers will mortgage even more land, and than lose it to the banks when the companies screw them over, etc... and i dont think , at least in israel, anyone wants a thai nurse.... we need basic agricultural labourers.... a few chefs (at the moment the sky is closed to cooks, israeli gov't has been trying to shift thai workers w/o visas to the restaraunt sector and give visas but they've been foisting basic thai workers on restaraunts and thses guys for the most part can only cook 'issaan' not gourmet thai...

and lastly, what on earth are nomchai, sompong, lek, pavin et al going to do if they dont work overseas??? they obviously wouldnt be here if they had work there that would amount to anything in the way of salary for school medical etc... like, on top of the drought and lack of rice etc... no money from overseas.... not even thai farmers logic here.... i agree that foreign workers suffer abuse etc but that is not the reason this man is changing the rules this is a deeper plan of keeping poor people poor and in 'their' place

'if they can find jobs' yeah right, i had a friend who is an amazingly hard worker and intelligent sit at home for 7 months, working odd jobs trying to find a decent job for himself (no education etc etc); now he is in the states in a not wonderful situation but hey, 8$ an hour is good pay when there is pay (with 7,000,000 baht debt to bank of course for visa etc in manpower company)

this is a deeper plan of keeping poor people poor and in 'their' place

I've been saying this for years. The Thai political/military/industrial elite has a vested interest in keeping the majority of the Thai populace poor and stupid. This is one of the main reasons why the education system is so utterly attrocious. Decently educated people have options, and would not seek to work in sweat-shop factories (owned by, guess who?) or as servants for a pittance. Decently educated people may even begin to question the self-enriching cronyism which passes for government in their country.

Edited by Rumpole

--TNA 2005-04-27

Skilled at what?

Can Khun Toxin or anyone name one skill Thai workers have which is needed in any other country? I can't even think of any skills Thai workers have for domestic use, most skills are imported to Thailand.

Anyone?

Toxin must have a screw loose or he has been in his Thai bubble too long.

this is a deeper plan of keeping poor people poor and in 'their' place

The Thai political/military/industrial elite has a vested interest in keeping the majority of the Thai populace poor and stupid. This is one of the main reasons why the education system is so utterly attrocious. Decently educated people have options, and would not seek to work in sweat-shop factories (owned by, guess who?) or as servants for a pittance. Decently educated people may even begin to question the self-enriching cronyism which passes for government in their country.

So we have lip service being paid to public education.

Typical, disgusting, manipulative, shameless, and par for the course.

Nothing to see here.

Stay with me now...

"I personally do not support unskilled Thai nationals to work abroad, as it's likely they may be taken advantaged of and their payrolls are not high enough. If they can find jobs in the country, I'd like them to work locally", he told TNA reporter during his official visit to Oman today

--TNA 2005-04-27

I really don`t know where Toxin is coming from.

He wants the unskilled people who are trying to better themselves and their families to work locally in Thailand for a pittance.

All other countries want to keep their skilled labour within their own country....but Toxin wants to export Thailand`s so called skilled labour force abroad.

This statement can only be him paying `lip` service to Oman as it just doesn`t make any sense.

Right.

Utter nonsense not intended to be heard, much less analyzed, by his domestic audience.

Just lies.

Face.

(Of course we do have TNA duly reporting any pearl of spittle that emanates from Himself, but that's another story.)

Lip service to the Omanis.

Ok, here it comes -

--TNA 2005-04-27

Skilled at what?

Can Khun Toxin or anyone name one skill Thai workers have which is needed in any other country? I can't even think of any skills Thai workers have for domestic use, most skills are imported to Thailand.

Anyone?

Toxin must have a screw loose or he has been in his Thai bubble too long.

Well, if you are opening a Thai restaurant, you might consider hiring a Thai chef.

While I don't find Thai massage "all that", there may be an argument made there.

Though while we're on the subject of things Thai, er, workers are skilled at...

...and massage...

...and lip service...

(...vainly searching for the "BAN ME PLEASE" smily...)

jb

In the Middle East it is not good for Thai domestics, nor Filipina / Indonesian or others. Subject to rape, abuse, so on. But as for limiting the export of workers to skilled tradesmen ...... I used to send back about one third of the people provided by the recruiting company, as being useless. We tried to set up our own recruiting company, but this was against Thai law.

The vast majority of Thais working abroad are unskilled / semi-skilled. These are bringing in valuable foreign currency, instead of watching rice grow.

What does this man think? That he can compete with Filipinos in mechanical trades? Never. Compete with Malaysians at IT work? Never.

The Thai worker has one thing going for him - you show him what you want - exactly - wind him up in the morning and he will work all day. But don't ask him to think. (Don't ask the Filipino to think either - you will be in deep trouble!!)

Fully agreed.

Well, if you are opening a Thai restaurant, you might consider hiring a Thai chef.

While I don't find Thai massage "all that", there may be an argument made there.

Though while we're on the subject of things Thai, er, workers are skilled at...

...and massage...

...and lip service...

(...vainly searching for the "BAN ME PLEASE" smily...)

jb

You have made a gallant effort, more than I could come up with.

But I don't think it is what Toxin had in mind as "skilled"

I personally think that most countries in the world, including Thailand needs the skills that labourers possess. Of course, elites in most countries deny this because they want to keep wages low.

The greatest demand is for the highly skilled laborers--carpenters, mechanics... etc.

People sometimes almost loose their mine to degrade others but they never think their own handicap. yes it is true that most third wolrd country are not industrials yet unlike the western but not all of them are stupid as other think. This is a balance of nature theres should be a smart guys and the stupid ones to revolve the life in this world. The people of third world are the skilled worker around the world, if you don't accept those people handicap then, you better do the job by yourself and avoid hiring those people you think its not fit for the job. :D

All the leaders in this world are trying to induce such technic nor implements such rule for the benefits of their people, country and their future generation. :o

The Ministry of Labour would take care of Thai nationals working abroad, and would be instructed to provide them with basic knowledge of foreign languages they are needed to use in the countries, the prime minister disclose
The Thai worker has one thing going for him - you show him what you want - exactly - wind him up in the morning and he will work all day. But don't ask him to think.
(if you ask a thai worker to come up with new ideas for the same work etc, the ones with good heads on their shoulders do so; i work with somebody for 3 yrs and he thinks , same as the guy before him (4 years); and the new guy we just got for the chicken houses, etc etc, you are pretty snooty i should say... ) ...

Not being snooty - or disparaging.

I have employed Thai labour since the 1970's, as well as Filipinos, Pakistanis, Indians, indonesians, Ethiopians, Somalis, Malaysians and about another 30 nationalities. On one project alone we had 25 different nationalities and cultures.

My point is that the Thai worker (labourer / semi-skilled / carpenter / drain-layer / soon) is good. But do not let them manage things - utter confusion, grasshopper management, panic. I put this down to the 'education' system here in Thailand, where everything is learnt by rote, no encouragement to think for oneself.

Repeat after me ............... Do not diverge, do not question. Keep your place.

Can Khun Toxin or anyone name one skill Thai workers have ...

the thais are the undoubted world leaders in the intricate carving of vegetables and bars of soap......

.......and their flower arranging skills would put many to shame.

Can Khun Toxin or anyone name one skill Thai workers have ...

the thais are the undoubted world leaders in the intricate carving of vegetables and bars of soap......

.......and their flower arranging skills would put many to shame.

Thai cuisine, massage, boat building, wood carving, imitation of brand names, improvisations, ie the variety of motorised samlors from Ko Si Chang to Prajuap Khiri Khan, long tailed boats, Thai boxing.

"I personally do not support unskilled Thai nationals to work abroad, ...", he told TNA reporter during his official visit to Oman today.

"If they've already worked in foreign markets and used to it, that's fine", he added.

--TNA 2005-04-27

That is a fine statement Mr.Toxin, thank you very much. :o

"This is one of the main reasons why the education system is so utterly attrocious."

back to education for a moment. I used to teach in a high school in the states, we had about half a dozen Thai kids there. Except for the one who came to the states to play golf, they were very bright students. One girl had already won a scholarship to uni after being in the country 2 years. makes me think it takes a lot of work to dumb them down.