Fertilizing Rubber Trees

Gonsalviz

There seems to be a lot of people on here growing rubber so hopefully you'll get a reply from one of them.

I've noticed a lot of rubber around our way going very dry, dropping leaves , so unless there going to water them I can't see the point in fertilizing but I know nothing about rubber. Its just an observation.

Fertilizers not cheap though, I've just bought a bag for 800 baht for 50kgs.

Pretty much agree with the previous reply posts.

For young trees, chemical fertilizer which is weighted with nitrogen is best for most soil types, something along the the ratio, 2:1:1.

If the land consists of extremely sandy soil which has been extensively farmed, previously. Then possibly something with a ratio of 1:1:1 for young trees.

IIRC, for 1-2 year old trees the correct application rate is about 25 kgs/rai. 50 Kgs/rai is for mature trees.

Most chemical fertilizer loss is due to excessive rain or excessive sun(evaporation of nitrogen especially.) Definitely avoid heavy rainy periods. Sub-surface placement is usually best to prevent losses and will also help keep most of the roots below surface. Also, several light applications is usually better than one heavy application.

Avoid placing the fertilizer too close to the young trees. Let the roots grow and search for the fertilizer.

For young trees, chemical fertilizer which is weighted with nitrogen is best for most soil types, something along the the ratio, 2:1:1.

If the land consists of extremely sandy soil which has been extensively farmed, previously. Then possibly something with a ratio of 1:1:1 for young trees.

IIRC, for 1-2 year old trees the correct application rate is about 25 kgs/rai. 50 Kgs/rai is for mature trees.

Most chemical fertilizer loss is due to excessive rain or excessive sun(evaporation of nitrogen especially.) Definitely avoid heavy rainy periods. Sub-surface placement is usually best to prevent losses and will also help keep most of the roots below surface. Also, several light applications is usually better than one heavy application.

Avoid placing the fertilizer too close to the young trees. Let the roots grow and search for the fertilizer.

NPK: 20-10-12.

How old are the trees?

Planted just last rainy season.

About 200g per tree will be ok I`m sure your relatives know how to apply it to the topsoil. Clear grass/weeds around the tree, mix it in with the first couple of inches of soil around 2-3 feet from the tree,

Why are they not getting this info locally?

C35B.

How much do you pay for a 50g bag of fertilizer chang50baht and would you fertilize now ?

Yes I would fertiize now. just make sure you try to get the fertilizer a few inchs under the soil. When(rubber) trees are young you probably would fertiize 3-4 times per year. My wife would sometimes supplement the fertilizing in between with 'shivapahp' or 'kee wua'(ask your wife) . My rubber trees are nearly 5 years old now and are 2-3 times thicker than other surrounding farms who have not stuck to a regime of fertilization, so I cannot stree enough the importance of this.

Of course it all depends on wether you can afford it or not.

Cost of fertilizer. Not sure at the moment. Went up to 1400BT+ Year before last when the Chinese (where most bags come from) put 100% export tax on all their fertilizers. Between 950-1000BTat the moment I think. Shop around. If you find it cheaper than that you`re doing well

C35B :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All

I was just interested in reading this about Fertilizer from you guys, I am up in Nong Khai at the moment and was talking to a few Farrang the other day, who have either wives or wives family members involved with Rubber tree growing.

The topic of fertilizer came up and I got the impression that they were paying around !000 Bht per 50 Kg bag, any way one chap said he was using Bio Fertilizer with was a lot cheeper and another guy mentioned that a lot of people were using basically cow Manure (weather this was the Bio Fertilizer mentioned I do not really know).

The cow manure worked out at around 350 Bht for one Rai of trees,a lot less than half the price of conventional fertilizer.

Now given over the period of time from young trees to mature trees this would equate to a hel_l of a saving.

What do you guys thing about this why isn't every body going over to this?(Im sure it cant all be a bed of Roses)

My partner does not own any land with rubber trees at the moment but we/she may want to in the future, just doing a lot of reading and some research.

Regards

TB

Sure, cow manure (KEE WUA) can be used, but only to supplement the fertilisation regime that you must adhere to if you want your rubber trees to grow up nice and healthy. You have to make sure your trees get the right amount of NPK. Higher in nitrogen in there early years.

C35B.

My Local place is selling 50kg's of something or another around 350 baht. All I can make out is the english. Super Organic & trace Elements. It does mention about 15 elements including the usual NPK but there's no percentages. I was thinking maybe its just Sh&t. No pun intended.

Probably not Ideal for Rubber but I'm going to try it as a general Fertilizer.