Crazy Tuk Tuk Tries To Run Me Off The Road.

ScubaBuddha

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Report it to the Governor in any case. No time like the present.

:)

And tell him what,pray tell..Even if you did get to his office, does he care? He's one of the Bosses for cripes sake!!

Even going to the BIB[also bosses] but you may well get into the office.Then this scenario; BIB clerk... Make a statement please sir.

SCUBABUDDHA

OK i was driving and the Tuk-tuk passed me and made me angry and when a big truck came along i refused to yield, creating the possibility of a multi vehical collision,and potentially multi deaths {i hope you do realise the folly of your actions SB] because guess what YOU would have been found the culpible driver, by the Thai reasoning of you being falang!! GUILTY!!

Also, if the above scenario had played out [which easily could have], apart from having the legal ramifications, can you even start to immagine how you would be feeling right now if your desire to ''teach the low life tuk- tuk driver not to pass me in the wrong place''[which is basically what you did] resulted in deaths, and having someone elses blood on your hands.

Your actions are just as dangerous and crazy as the ''CRAZY TUK_TUK DRIVER" IMHO! Jai yen yen, people, please!!

I assume you were riding your bike? im the same as you scuba i get pissed off and its easy to do something daft. but you have to remember mate he is in a tuk tuk, and theyre crazy people sometimes drunk or on yaba. A lot of these toerags wouldnt thinnk twice about knocking you off your bike. Its best to just let them by and not get into any trouble keep your selves safe out there. :)

The incident highlights the rude, arrogant manners of many drivers on our roads. Ignoring it means they will continue to do it but trying to block them from getting back in could result in an accident or road rage plus any lessons will never be taken in by the offender. This queue jumping causes all the traffic behind to slow or stop.

Report it to the Governor in any case. No time like the present.

And tell him what,pray tell..Even if you did get to his office, does he care? He's one of the Bosses for cripes sake!!

Even going to the BIB[also bosses] but you may well get into the office.Then this scenario; BIB clerk... Make a statement please sir.

SCUBABUDDHA

OK i was driving and the Tuk-tuk passed me and made me angry and when a big truck came along i refused to yield, creating the possibility of a multi vehical collision,and potentially multi deaths {i hope you do realise the folly of your actions SB] because guess what YOU would have been found the culpible driver, by the Thai reasoning of you being falang!! GUILTY!!

Also, if the above scenario had played out [which easily could have], apart from having the legal ramifications, can you even start to immagine how you would be feeling right now if your desire to ''teach the low life tuk- tuk driver not to pass me in the wrong place''[which is basically what you did] resulted in deaths, and having someone elses blood on your hands.

Your actions are just as dangerous and crazy as the ''CRAZY TUK_TUK DRIVER" IMHO! Jai yen yen, people, please!!

happyinkathu, I'm afraid your version of events don't reflect reality, probably because I didn't describe the events in enough detail.

The tuk tuk had plenty of time to slow and drop in behind me like he did, he just didn't want to. If I really thought he had no choice but crash head on with the truck, I would have risked an accident myself by slowing or swerving to let him cut me off, of course. I should have mentioned this bit: With oncoming traffic approaching us at mach 4 heading northbound on Visit as it does, there was a sense of urgency to complete the turn and get across the oncoming lanes quickly lest I be T-boned. This is why Mr. tuk tuk did his wrong way maneuver in the first place, because he did not feel like waiting for other vehicles to clear, so him passing the que and attempting to jump in front of me would have impeded my progress across the oncoming lanes and put me at risk. I did what most Thai drivers, and even drivers in the states would have done in that situation, just carry on ignoring the other crazy driver and let him sort out his own problems which he has caused for himself. He was angry because he lost face, not because his, or my, actions nearly killed him, because they didn't. His reaction after that, trying to ram me, actively blocking every attempt to pass by stopping in front of me or driving 2kph in front of me, were really over the top compared to my actions, which was to ignore him and not let him potentially either push me off into the wall of 7-11 or cause me to get T-boned. The only thing I did wrong is flip him off.

I think you got what you had coming to you

and you deserved it for not following the Thai

rules of the road

Anyone who has lived here for any length of time

knows that when there is 1 lane for a turn, it turns

to three lanes right before the turn light turns green

Then they all politely merge once 3/4 the way around

the corner

The Thai way

Learn

rules of the road

the corner

The Thai way

Learn

There was nothing polite about what he was doing.

rules of the road

the corner

The Thai way

Learn

hmm, Iv been here 7 years done 3-400.000 km. There is no "turn light" in this place, vehicles crossing a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic speeding 60-120 kmh and havent seen anyone driving like this tuk tuk ever in this place. tuk tuk was giving OP the option to be rammed by oncomming traffic or just continue and not yield for tuk tuk. Wisely he continued.

The Thai way.

He learned it years ago.

hmm, Iv been here 7 years done 3-400.000 km. There is no "turn light" in this place, vehicles crossing a 2 lane road with oncoming traffic speeding 60-120 kmh and havent seen anyone driving like this tuk tuk ever in this place. tuk tuk was giving OP the option to be rammed by oncomming traffic or just continue and not yield for tuk tuk. Wisely he continued.

The Thai way.

He learned it years ago.

Not being impolite, just a clarification..have you really done 3-400.000 ks in 7 years or is this a typo?

I'm impressed if you have done 40-60,000 ks perannum on Thai roads.Are you maybe moonlighting as a taxi driver?? :)

Your the one missing the plot. It was clearly intended for self defense only.

No im not missing the plot at all and i can quantify this statement....Your words ''it was clearly intended for self defense"" can only mean only this;

If i am threatened i produce ''the bat'' yes? For self defense. Yes? Which is going to mean you may have to injure someone. Yes?

If so then as i posted immediately applies....

You stand up to one or two,as you say show that you can defend yourself, great and a quick ph.call and you have 5-6, you stand up to them[but very unlikely for Joe Average] another call then you have 7,8, 9 a hundred even! Then what? You are in a no win situation

End of story...better to ignore their presence , and get on with life....unless that is, you do have a death wish. Life is too short for this sort of bull s##%%##

If you aren't killed or are only hospitalised think what happens when you go to court SB ...take a look in the mirror, you are a falang,

therefore you are the instigator and automatically the guilty one..Yes. And the best lawyer money can buy will not change this.

I'm not in any way having a go at you but it is pure logic and factual.

Dont take this the wrong way please, but my immpression of you is ''of a younger guy with too much testosterone flowing'' . This is normal ,but in reading some previous posts, you do come across as a very confrontational guy , thats your choice, but remember ''if you go look for trouble, trouble will soon find you""[saw this on a post somewhere] but very true. Jai yen yen mate.

Whats happening to phuket it really is becoming very dangerous for farangs now, tourists and expats alike. The thais , (tuk tuk drivers , jet ski operators , shifty bargirls , corrupt police ) are scaring their breadwinners away.I know thai people cannot alway think straight , but you think someone in the government should realize the damage being done and try to do something about it. :)

Your the one missing the plot. It was clearly intended for self defense only.

No im not missing the plot at all and i can quantify this statement....Your words ''it was clearly intended for self defense"" can only mean only this;

If i am threatened i produce ''the bat'' yes? For self defense. Yes? Which is going to mean you may have to injure someone. Yes?

If so then as i posted immediately applies....

You stand up to one or two,as you say show that you can defend yourself, great and a quick ph.call and you have 5-6, you stand up to them[but very unlikely for Joe Average] another call then you have 7,8, 9 a hundred even! Then what? You are in a no win situation

End of story...better to ignore their presence , and get on with life....unless that is, you do have a death wish. Life is too short for this sort of bull s##%%##

If you aren't killed or are only hospitalised think what happens when you go to court SB ...take a look in the mirror, you are a falang,

therefore you are the instigator and automatically the guilty one..Yes. And the best lawyer money can buy will not change this.

I'm not in any way having a go at you but it is pure logic and factual.

Don't take this the wrong way please, but my immpression of you is ''of a younger guy with too much testosterone flowing'' . This is normal ,but in reading some previous posts, you do come across as a very confrontational guy , thats your choice, but remember ''if you go look for trouble, trouble will soon find you""[saw this on a post somewhere] but very true. Jai yen yen mate.

Your assuming alot here. Of course avoiding confrontation is always the best course of action. I admit flipping him off was not and example of me adhering to this rule. (A result of frustration built up over years from these fuc_kers I think) Getting distance from the angry Thai is what I tried to do after my momentary lack of judgment. I wouldn't stick around long enough for him to call even 1 friend. I don't think I in any way "went looking for trouble" that day. I am not a confrontational person at all. Quite the opposite actually, but will admit I do sometimes probably let certain things effect me too much, and this guys behavior was one of those things.

Yeah, I won't take "a younger guy with too much testosterone flowing" the wrong way. lol

Your assuming alot here. Of course avoiding confrontation is always the best course of action. I admit flipping him off was not and example of me adhering to this rule. (A result of frustration built up over years from these fuc_kers I think) Getting distance from the angry Thai is what I tried to do after my momentary lack of judgment. I wouldn't stick around long enough for him to call even 1 friend. I don't think I in any way "went looking for trouble" that day. I am not a confrontational person at all. Quite the opposite actually, but will admit I do sometimes probably let certain things effect me too much, and this guys behavior was one of those things.

Yeah, I won't take "a younger guy with too much testosterone flowing" the wrong way. lol

:) The real point i was making SB is the all too often used ''FOR SELF DEFENSE'' explanation given by people who feel the need to carry a weapon.

As i posted already the conseqences of such actions i wont do say again.

But here is my first hand account of what can happen and did happen to a good mate;

In the late 60s we were in an outlaw m/c club...all staunch and tough and bullet proof and full of attitude and booze.

Many members'' packed ''guns ,clubs , knives ,good ol knuckledusters etc. I chose not to for my own reasons.

Anyway in the pub as usual on a saturday and my mate goes outside to pee [mid afternoon, fairly sober] and he is confronted by a ''bikie hater''and given an unprovocked punch to the head.

This guy maybe 6' and 200lb,... my mate ,about the size of your average Thai ,5' and 120 lb. Mate goes OK f-#$%$#@ you and pulls a 6'' knife FOR SELF DEFENSE

The big guy goes..c'mon,c'mon tough guy,what ya gonna do? And starts swinging...little mate goes SH$%# and stabs him [ ]once in the gut. One split second of SELF DEFENSE ended in 18 years in max security prison. This is what happens when people go armed only FOR SELF DEFENSE !!

He spent every[ single day[/ f those 18 years regretting the fact that he went armed.Thats why im saying that being armed is a crazy move! The potential consequenses are not worth it! :D

Whats happening to phuket it really is becoming very dangerous for farangs now, tourists and expats alike. The thais , (tuk tuk drivers , jet ski operators , shifty bargirls , corrupt police ) are scaring their breadwinners away.I know thai people cannot alway think straight , but you think someone in the government should realize the damage being done and try to do something about it. :)

I just avoid Phuket like the plague these days. It's about the worst part of tourist Thailand. You don't even get most of this sh*t in Pattaya! (Jet skis excepted, they're a national menace).

:) The real point i was making SB is the all too often used ''FOR SELF DEFENSE'' explanation given by people who feel the need to carry a weapon.

As i posted already the conseqences of such actions i wont do say again.

But here is my first hand account of what can happen and did happen to a good mate;

In the late 60s we were in an outlaw m/c club...all staunch and tough and bullet proof and full of attitude and booze.

Many members'' packed ''guns ,clubs , knives ,good ol knuckledusters etc. I chose not to for my own reasons.

Anyway in the pub as usual on a saturday and my mate goes outside to pee [mid afternoon, fairly sober] and he is confronted by a ''bikie hater''and given an unprovocked punch to the head.

This guy maybe 6' and 200lb,... my mate ,about the size of your average Thai ,5' and 120 lb. Mate goes OK f-#$%$#@ you and pulls a 6'' knife FOR SELF DEFENSE

The big guy goes..c'mon,c'mon tough guy,what ya gonna do? And starts swinging...little mate goes SH$%# and stabs him [ ]once in the gut. One split second of SELF DEFENSE ended in 18 years in max security prison. This is what happens when people go armed only FOR SELF DEFENSE !!

He spent every[ single day[/ f those 18 years regretting the fact that he went armed.Thats why im saying that being armed is a crazy move! The potential consequenses are not worth it! :D

PS i did accidently omit the fact that the guy died of his wound....just so no one needs to ask..very sad for all.

If I knew I was going to take a beating, I would want the satisfation that I could cause some damage before I was overwhelmed, but hey.......that's just me.

Yeeehhh right, the guy takes your bat and returns your compliment with 100%.

Have you ever really felt the pain of multiple fractures..i have and if you think that , that sort of pain would be overcome by the fact that you ''caused some damage'' you are in for a HUGE shock.And after the event ie for the comming 3-6 months of ops and physio you soon realise your folly.

Believe me a'' severe beating'' you have watched on cable is far, far removed from actually taking a beating in real life.

Walk away..easy! :)

Ops car still has red plates, cant easily be tracked by BIB, so should be safe for now

Good luck..i would be keeping a low profile for a while all the same...Its a small world..And Thai -eyes are everywhere..

So you just live in fear ?? No thanks I'll take my chances..

Good on you mate.....This is why you have had so many incidents in Thaland i figure.

Movie quotes are easy.... Another Clint Eastwood one you could use..[ Go ahead, make my day..]

There is a name for people who understand the ramifications, but choose to be irrational...can't say it on here probably...anyway i guess you have been told many times before what it is.

No... the ones livin' in fear are those who are afraid they're manhood is in question if someone does something to invoke their ire... the ones who fear that giving way to an erratic driver will somehow diminish their superior driving skills, the ones who are so afraid that they must carry a weapon to defend themselves from the unseen villains lurking in the shadows... that, mon ami, is livin'(LOS) in fear.

(by 'ScubaBuddha)

Yesterday as I was driving in from Chalong to Rawaii/Naiharn, I was in a que behind 2 or 3 other cars waiting to turn right from Visit rd. (4024) onto Saiyuan Rd at the 7-11 when a tuk tuk came up the que's right side on the wrong side of the road, attempting to bypass the que to get to Saiyuan.

The oncoming traffic was clearing and the cue proceeded to make the turn. As we all make the turn onto SaiYuan, Mr. tuk tuk is on still on my right side a bit ahead of me, and still on the wrong side of the road. Now there appears a large construction truck coming straight at him in the opposite lane. Neither the car in front of me nor myself allowed the tuk tuk driver to force us on to the shoulder, so he was forced to either stop in the oncoming lane or drive head-on into the big truck.

Well I have been driving in Thailand for near on 20 years now and your action/s where, what you made them to be. Me, I let them jump the queue if I saw

"Now there appears a large construction truck coming straight at him in the opposite lane."

and would let him go about his business. I am in no hurry to get ....... Are you? :)

Sawadee :D

P.S. Please read me signature below :D

No... the ones livin' in fear are those who are afraid they're manhood is in question if someone does something to invoke their ire... the ones who fear that giving way to an erratic driver will somehow diminish their superior driving skills, the ones who are so afraid that they must carry a weapon to defend themselves from the unseen villains lurking in the shadows... that, mon ami, is livin'(LOS) in fear.

I have no particular issue with giving way to an erratic driver or two, I am no longer a hard driver on 4 wheels, the roads and its users here doesnt lend itself to it.. But when an entire profession of road users seem to think they can gang mentality and bully boy themselves through every traffic situation, cutting people up and abusing them as they go, then no, they will find that there isnt the gap they wanted to pull into. After all they drove themselves into the situation.

Do you also automatically just let people cut the queue in front of you without pulling them ??

Edited by LivinLOS

"Do you also automatically just let people cut the queue in front of you without pulling them ?? "

Yeah, pretty much... I'm very rarely rushed to reach a destination at a particular time and the queue jumpers are hel_l-bent to get to theirs, so I just say good riddance Dick Head! :)

Good on you mate.....This is why you have had so many incidents in Thaland i figure.

A couple of brushes over a decade hardly 'many incidents' in my book..

Sorry you didn't get the gist of my reply to your comment ''So you just live in fear?? No thanks i'll take my chances..''

You have used this type of ''tough talk'' and similar terminology in multiple posts ,not just this one.

Hence, my reply.

But this post from mikebike portrays the facts better than i can...Thanks M/b

"Do you also automatically just let people cut the queue in front of you without pulling them ?? "

Yeah, pretty much... I'm very rarely rushed to reach a destination at a particular time and the queue jumpers are hel_l-bent to get to theirs, so I just say good riddance Dick Head! :)

I actually meant in non road based situations.. Like the ATM or checkouts.

I personally am a stickler for being fair, I pretty much always indicate if I think someone was there first and I was somehow noticed and step out to keep the correct order (I dont if its basically a scrum) but I find Thais commonly see a farang and just assume they can push past and get the first service.. A quick reminder in Thai of who was there first and the 'push in front of the tourist' thing nearly always goes away.

So yes, theres social rules, and if everyone sticks to them everyone gets through it not only sooner, but with the least conflict and need for agro, hence I tend to hold people to the rules.. Someone tries to queue jump a long line of traffic just because hes being a nobber and theres no way I make room for them, yet a car trying to edge out of a junction through a traffic queue and I would always yield to give them a break.