Crazy Tuk Tuk Tries To Run Me Off The Road.

ScubaBuddha

I sense this sensitivity here quite often on tv, but: has nothing to do with seeing a farang. Quite often they will try to jump the queu,on the road, in the shop, whereever, it really does not matter who is in front.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I sense this sensitivity here quite often on tv, but: has nothing to do with seeing a farang. Quite often they will try to jump the queu,on the road, in the shop, whereever, it really does not matter who is in front.

:)

This is exactly what happens and does so all over the world [and especially in so called developed countries!!] There are always going to be arrogant people , world wide, who have the desire to assert their will in all situations in life, beit on the road or just in the check out queue or as one often see's , right here on TV forum...Up to them...me i sit back and let em go...Jai yen yen..easy!

One disturbing trend though is the apparent desire by a few expats to need to use every single incident as an excuse to denigrate ALL Thais in general ..Quite sad to see.. IMO!! ALL Thais in Phuket are not the lowlifes that some people portay them as, just as ALL falang are not inflicted with the ''Superiority complex'' that is very apparent on this forum.

"Do you also automatically just let people cut the queue in front of you without pulling them ?? "

Yeah, pretty much... I'm very rarely rushed to reach a destination at a particular time and the queue jumpers are hel_l-bent to get to theirs, so I just say good riddance Dick Head! :)

In my opinion this is exactly the wrong thing to do. Why should law abiding courteous people have to sit in a queue for 30 minutes while someone at the front lets a bunch of rude people drive straight past and cut in front of them.

I never let people push in front of a whole queue if I can help it. I do this for myself and everyone behind me in a queue. Plus the fact that letting people get away with it means that not only will they do it more and more but the people sitting in the queue also then start to wonder why they didnt do it in the first place.

This is exactly what happens and does so all over the world [and especially in so called developed countries!!] There are always going to be arrogant people , world wide, who have the desire to assert their will in all situations in life, beit on the road or just in the check out queue or as one often see's , right here on TV forum...Up to them...me i sit back and let em go...Jai yen yen..easy!

So your happy in your role as the victim ??

One disturbing trend though is the apparent desire by a few expats to need to use every single incident as an excuse to denigrate ALL Thais in general ..Quite sad to see.. IMO!! ALL Thais in Phuket are not the lowlifes that some people portay them as, just as ALL falang are not inflicted with the ''Superiority complex'' that is very apparent on this forum.

No one is saying ALL Thais.. In fact I dont even see anyone saying ALL tuktuks.. But the fact remains, that a larger percentage of the tuktuk driving community act in an antisocial and bullying manner than of the general public. The more people tolerate this, and constantly back off in fear of reprisals the more a bully will push. These 'mafias' and cliques gain their power from intimidation if the society refuses to be intimidated their power evaporates.

But the fact remains, that a larger percentage of the tuktuk driving community act in an antisocial and bullying manner than of the general public. The more people tolerate this, and constantly back off in fear of reprisals the more a bully will push. These 'mafias' and cliques gain their power from intimidation if the society refuses to be intimidated their power evaporates.
That is your opinion, I don't think this is a fact.

It is not a popular opinion at the moment, but IMO: some tuktuk drivers act antisocial, but the (vast) majority are just working guys trying to make a living. And yes, they are friendly enough, no problem at all.

It is not a popular opinion at the moment, but IMO: some tuktuk drivers act antisocial, but the (vast) majority are just working guys trying to make a living. And yes, they are friendly enough, no problem at all.

You do not think that the tuktuk gang mentality makes them act in a more outright confrontational and antisocial manner than the general public ?? Really ??

Then your opinion of the 'general public' must be horrendous.

But the fact remains, that a larger percentage of the tuktuk driving community act in an antisocial and bullying manner than of the general public. The more people tolerate this, and constantly back off in fear of reprisals the more a bully will push. These 'mafias' and cliques gain their power from intimidation if the society refuses to be intimidated their power evaporates.

"a larger percentage of tuktuk drivers", that would be more than 50%. Antisocial and bully for sure. Just to occupy most public parking and denying others to park there is sufficient. Fact established :)

The worst ones are those with rented tuk tuks (70-80% of all Phuket tuktuks). They have a very strong community supporting them, and do what they please.

livinlos

You seem to have a problem understanding life in general my friend..you watch far too many tough guy movies i reckon...your attitude to Thailand and Thais in general really makes me wonder why you stay here with all us ''inferior victims''.. Maybe something to do with the many well used cliches used, that i don't need to repeat .i'm sure you are well aware of them all, but wouldn't admit the truth anyway!

I am not a victim of anything..Just a really nice easy going tolerant old guy, who i might add has a h%$#% of a lot more''life experience'' under my belt than you probably ever will....Quite easy as i say... heres a recipe you could use, but i'm afraid you will come up rather short on the necessary ingredients, but try it..

RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE.

Take a big heap of intelligence, same amount of tollerance,a splash of good humour,a good amount of common sense, a dash of repartee, a huge amount of self confidence, a dash of humility ...Mix all these ingredients well...ingest and the result is .....

A VERY nice, well adjusted very happy person, living and enjoying every single day as i do and far,far from being a victim ... :D

No one is saying ALL Thais.. In fact I dont even see anyone saying ALL tuktuks.. But the fact remains, that a larger percentage of the tuktuk driving community act in an antisocial and bullying manner than of the general public. The more people tolerate this, and constantly back off in fear of reprisals the more a bully will push. These 'mafias' and cliques gain their power from intimidation if the society refuses to be intimidated their power evaporates.

You seem to have a problem understanding life in general my friend..you watch far too many tough guy movies i reckon...your attitude to Thailand and Thais in general really makes me wonder why you stay here with all us ''inferior victims''.. Maybe something to do with the many well used cliches used, that i don't need to repeat .i'm sure you are well aware of them all, but wouldn't admit the truth anyway!

I am not a victim of anything..Just a really nice easy going tolerant old guy, who i might add has a h%$#% of a lot more''life experience'' under my belt than you probably ever will....Quite easy as i say... heres a recipe you could use, but i'm afraid you will come up rather short on the necessary ingredients, but try it..

RECIPE FOR A HAPPY LIFE.

Take a big heap of intelligence, same amount of tollerance,a splash of good humour,a good amount of common sense, a dash of repartee, a huge amount of self confidence, a dash of humility ...Mix all these ingredients well...ingest and the result is .....

A VERY nice, well adjusted very happy person, living and enjoying every single day as i do and far,far from being a victim ... :)

happyinkathu, not only are you generalizing us, you are generalizing what you think we think about Thai people, Thai people in Phuket, and tuk tuk drivers. Don't. See how often you use words like "seems" or "appearent" or using logic like "you must watch tough guy movies." to support your points. Talk about the facts. Stop generalizing and stop projecting. You assume that we are unhappy because we come on here to vent a little and find some solace in knowing that we aren't alone in our frustrations we occasionally encounter living here.

You seem preocupied in convincing us all that you are happier than us and that in order for us to be HAPPY we need to think like you. But what you fail to realize is we are happy. I can say that I know, to varying degrees, some the other board members participating in this thread either in person or though much discussion in the forums and PMs. I wouldn't categorize them as unhappy or bitter either. And I know I am a very happy person. I love living here and I love much about the Thai people. I even know some tuk tuk drivers that aren't half bad.

It's the system I deplore and decry. A system that allows and even encourages some or the behaviors we are witnessing towards foreigners and Thai's by the members of the transportation monopoly. As was stated, no one said "ALL". In fact if we did it would be moderated out because it's not allowed. No one will say, "But I know some good Thai people in Phuket." Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious we all do. It's demoralizing to have to say that, but it's seems that's what you want us to do so you will stop generalizing and extrapolating words and feelings that aren't there. When you do, it really confuses you.

I started this thread not because I dislike Thais in general, Thai's in Phuket, or even all tuk tuk drivers. Nor did I post it to seek approval for my actions. I know I did wrong, despite my debate on what degree I was wrong. I posted it to show yet another example of how out of control some of these tuk tuk guys are. They are fueled by the belief that they can do no wrong. Something needs to change, and change soon or I fear the next big headline grabbing incident is going to really hurt tourism here, which, like may expats living here, I rely on as well as the Thais. As soon as the embassies start issuing travel warnings like they did with King Power at the airports, it will be too late. The damage will be done.

Another story confirming my decision to no longer visit Phuket.

Indeed, I am flying to Phuke-it this morning, spending the night in Phuke-it town and off to Koh Phi Phi tomorrow.

I have a few undecided nights to spend in the region before I head back to Isaan, but doubt I will be staying at on of the Phuke-it beaches :)

happyinkathu, not only are you generalizing us, you are generalizing what you think we think about Thai people, Thai people in Phuket, and tuk tuk drivers. Don't. See how often you use words like "seems" or "appearent" or using logic like "you must watch tough guy movies." to support your points. Talk about the facts. Stop generalizing and stop projecting. You assume that we are unhappy because we come on here to vent a little and find some solace in knowing that we aren't alone in our frustrations we occasionally encounter living here.

You seem preocupied in convincing us all that you are happier than us and that in order for us to be HAPPY we need to think like you. But what you fail to realize is we are happy. I can say that I know, to varying degrees, some the other board members participating in this thread either in person or though much discussion in the forums and PMs. I wouldn't categorize them as unhappy or bitter either. And I know I am a very happy person. I love living here and I love much about the Thai people. I even know some tuk tuk drivers that aren't half bad.

It's the system I deplore and decry. A system that allows and even encourages some or the behaviors we are witnessing towards foreigners and Thai's by the members of the transportation monopoly. As was stated, no one said "ALL". In fact if we did it would be moderated out because it's not allowed. No one will say, "But I know some good Thai people in Phuket." Because it doesn't need to be said. It's obvious we all do. It's demoralizing to have to say that, but it's seems that's what you want us to do so you will stop generalizing and extrapolating words and feelings that aren't there. When you do, it really confuses you.

I started this thread not because I dislike Thais in general, Thai's in Phuket, or even all tuk tuk drivers. Nor did I post it to seek approval for my actions. I know I did wrong, despite my debate on what degree I was wrong. I posted it to show yet another example of how out of control some of these tuk tuk guys are. They are fueled by the belief that they can do no wrong. Something needs to change, and change soon or I fear the next big headline grabbing incident is going to really hurt tourism here, which, like may expats living here, I rely on as well as the Thais. As soon as the embassies start issuing travel warnings like they did with King Power at the airports, it will be too late. The damage will be done.

Great post Scuba :)

Great post Scuba :D

:) YEh ..great post Scuba... ''and so say all of us'' NOT !...Funny thing is, all the comments above were made directly to your mate L/los , not to you.......HUH !!

You like so many ''frequent'' posters misread the post or simply ''pick out'' a snippet and reply to that.

Here is as i posted..'' the apparent desire by a few expats '' a few, a few, a few !! Is that generalising? Wakey, Wakey.

Also i stand by what i said about a FEW of TV frequent posters regarding weapons.

I have been involved in the past in many armed situations [ read my post re; self defense and my mate getting 18 years] and have trouble understanding the self defense [ need a gun, baseball bat on the back seat , mace etc, etc] mentality of some of these guys.

Useing the expression ''too many tough guy movies'' is a truism, because in reality, down and dirty out on the street it is nothing like how these expats think it is.I would say that near all who talk the talk would sh#t themselves big time if the confrontation really occurred.

Bit like you huh..long, strong on the horn, then the flip, both very offensive and challenging behaviour[ even tho now you say you acted in the heat of the moment] fair enough..but?

But when the little tuk-tuk driver ''wants to chat'' you run for your mates security with your tail suitably between your legs..Wheres the gun, dam_n wheres the goddam gun!! On ya mate!

PS.. and then you have the audacity to post..Crazy tuk- tuk tries to run me off the road!Think about it S/b.

<snip>

Getting back to the OT, I have long time ago learned not to take on the Tuk Tuks. I just let them get by as quickly as possible.<snip>

Agreed. Treat them like moto-cy's - let them get past and they'll be off, out of your way.

<snip>

Getting back to the OT, I have long time ago learned not to take on the Tuk Tuks. I just let them get by as quickly as possible.<snip>

Agreed. Treat them like moto-cy's - let them get past and they'll be off, out of your way.

And the same applies for instance for tourist-filled busses and minivans that drive at breakneck speed to Phangnga Bay, on the Khokkloy-Phangnga road.

Aaaaahhhh, the silence is deafening...so nice when realisation hits home and all relax again :) ..

All the tough talk guys go back to what they know about..pizzas, best restaurants, dogs etc. Thanks for the input though chaps, is healthy to sort things out amicably..

PS ..i just pray theres no more Hollywood actions contemplated, by all. Be happy guys..

Aaaaahhhh, the silence is deafening...so nice when realisation hits home and all relax again :) ..

All the tough talk guys go back to what they know about..pizzas, best restaurants, dogs etc. Thanks for the input though chaps, is healthy to sort things out amicably..

PS ..i just pray theres no more Hollywood actions contemplated, by all. Be happy guys..

I'm still here. I'm not going to argue with you like a schoolchild. You didn't post anything worth a response but OK, I'll bite despite the increasing odds that you are jsut a troll.

I made the gun comment as a bit of toungue in cheek, a fantasy we all have probably had one time or another. Believe me I know the responsibility. I carried everyday for 7 years as part of my job

You clearly still don't get the details of this accident despite me explaining them. More assumptions on your part. I still don't think you understand that when he initially overtook me, my choice was to let him force in which would have come at risk of myself either getting T-boned or put into the side of 7-11. You also mentioned that honking was wrong of me. This is an instinctive thing when someone is coming across your bow about to collide with you, is it not? Is that not what the horn is for? To avoid accidents? I don't accept or deserve any blame for that.

Ayway, you go ahead on claiming your "happy" while slaggin off all the established and reputable members like I see you doing on this thread and others. You will be banned soon as I suspect your other identities were here previously.

I am very happy. Thanks. :D

Edited by ScubaBuddha

:) The real point i was making SB is the all too often used ''FOR SELF DEFENSE'' explanation given by people who feel the need to carry a weapon.

As i posted already the conseqences of such actions i wont do say again.

But here is my first hand account of what can happen and did happen to a good mate;

In the late 60s we were in an outlaw m/c club...all staunch and tough and bullet proof and full of attitude and booze.

Many members'' packed ''guns ,clubs , knives ,good ol knuckledusters etc. I chose not to for my own reasons.

Anyway in the pub as usual on a saturday and my mate goes outside to pee [mid afternoon, fairly sober] and he is confronted by a ''bikie hater''and given an unprovocked punch to the head.

This guy maybe 6' and 200lb,... my mate ,about the size of your average Thai ,5' and 120 lb. Mate goes OK f-#$%$#@ you and pulls a 6'' knife FOR SELF DEFENSE

The big guy goes..c'mon,c'mon tough guy,what ya gonna do? And starts swinging...little mate goes SH$%# and stabs him [ ]once in the gut. One split second of SELF DEFENSE ended in 18 years in max security prison. This is what happens when people go armed only FOR SELF DEFENSE !!

He spent every[ single day[/ f those 18 years regretting the fact that he went armed.Thats why im saying that being armed is a crazy move! The potential consequenses are not worth it! :D

Or.....your friend saved his own life by carrying a weapon. As I said, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I admitted multiple times that I shouldn't have flipped him off, even in the original post. Not sure how many more times you want me to say it. It was stupid and I wasn't thinking, and it's not something I normally do.

Or.....your friend saved his own life by carrying a weapon. As I said, better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.

I admitted multiple times that I shouldn't have flipped him off, even in the original post. Not sure how many more times you want me to say it. It was stupid and I wasn't thinking, and it's not something I normally do.

Ok S/B i think this has run its course..i do understand, but i really worry about the under lying risks of other naiive ''self defense''. know it alls. Its a dangerous game to play, i think you agree huh.{ The old ''not thinking'' will bring you unstuck every time huh ]

We can agree to dis-agree on some points and agree on others..Take care out there...the odds are stacked against us westerners. :D

No, they do not share the common values shared by working people, their values are dog eat dog, intimidation wins, corruption wins, a `I`m a member of the biggest gang in the island and I can do what the hel_l I like` mentality, a `screw em because another sucker comes along every minute` mentality. These are not values shared by most working people.

No, they do not share the common values shared by working people, their values are dog eat dog, intimidation wins, corruption wins, a `I`m a member of the biggest gang in the island and I can do what the hel_l I like` mentality, a `screw em because another sucker comes along every minute` mentality. These are not values shared by most working people.

Shit! I know people on the dole who behave better in public.

I have had my fair share of problems on the roads here. I don't like people pushing in, and I do my best to not let them do it. I mean only the ones who are in the wrong lanes and driving on the wrong side of the road as many do. Why should I let them in? I have been waiting in line in the correct lane, then some arsepiece comes along in the wrong lane and tries to force his self in front of me. &lt;deleted&gt;, I won't have it and I do me best to block em.

I think the only thing the OP did wrong was to flick the finger, not smart but considering what the tuk tuk driver did I think the OP should be cut some slack.

• 1 year later...

Whats happening to phuket it really is becoming very dangerous for farangs now, tourists and expats alike. The thais , (tuk tuk drivers , jet ski operators , shifty bargirls , corrupt police ) are scaring their breadwinners away.I know thai people cannot alway think straight , but you think someone in the government should realize the damage being done and try to do something about it. :)

I moved to Thailand in 2003, choose Phuket since I knew and worked with some guys living there. Did not know any better, but have to admit I never felt at ease, comfortable with all the scams etc going on. After the Tsumnami many airlines were pulling out and I could not always get a suitable flight from Phuket to catch my connection in Singapore. Started having to fly to Bangkok, where I would end up speaking to guy who lived "down the road" in Pattaya. Met up with some a few months later and was shocked (Pleasantly). Taxis cheaper, rented villas vastly cheaper, bars etc all cheaper so moved to Pattaya late 2005.

Have been back Phuket a few times to see former work colleagues but the whole attitude from many 'Phuket' Thai's appear downright hostile when compared how the Thai's in Pattaya potray themselves in their dealings with you.

Reading the increasing post's from BM's on the day to day happenings in Phuket, it no longer comes across as an idealistic place one would wish, to retire too anymore.

I have been here 2 yrs and learnt very quickly never to get involved with Thai's on the roads, just smile and let it go, these people do not care about you and would leave you on the side of the road dead or injured, they would not look back with any remorse!! I am sure all Thai's are not like this but I am thinking a very high percentage are!!

I have been here 2 yrs and learnt very quickly never to get involved with Thai's on the roads, just smile and let it go, these people do not care about you and would leave you on the side of the road dead or injured, they would not look back with any remorse!! I am sure all Thai's are not like this but I am thinking a very high percentage are!!

A very high percentage of Thais would leave you by the side of the road dead?

How could you live among people that you believed that was the case about? I couldn't.

I would say the percentage is very very small. :)

How could you live among people that you believed that was the case about? I couldn't.

Of course their are many many decent honest Thai's, road rage that ends in murder, people that run from the scene of accidents leaving the people and carnage behind, I have never had any confrontation with Thai's on the roads and I do not drive fast enough to endanger my or any ones life so I feel quite safe, the trouble here is that life is so cheap, and you are right hopefully it is just a minority that would do this callous thing...

I was once advised (it seemed in all seriousness) by a Thai that if hitting and injuring a bike rider or pedestrian.. Its far better to make sure you kill them as the blood money is less than the hospital costs. :o

Personally I think a lot comes down to the stress levels, my opinion and experience is Thais under pressure or stress dont handle it well (applies to workers, builders, anything) and the density and pressures of the island ramps that up.. Get out where theres a lower volume of people and things seems far different.

I was out on a few days ride around the mekhong area and unluckily had 2 flats in a series of days.. Both times the next car that passed stopped, checked we were ok, no questions asked loaded the bike onto the truck, took us to the nearest town, found a mechanic who could do tubeless tyres, and spent time going out of their way with no implication of cost or anything. Now both times I gave them a grand which was also initially refused. I wouldnt have that kind of total flat out genuine assistance in the majority of the world.

I was once advised (it seemed in all seriousness) by a Thai that if hitting and injuring a bike rider or pedestrian.. Its far better to make sure you kill them as the blood money is less than the hospital costs. :o

Yes, that is the same worldwide. The same advice you'll be given anywhere, and I have been given in many different places.

Slightly off topic as not Tuk Tuk driving but still Tuk Tuk behavior:

Couple of months ago was out in Patong with my friends and our Thai GF's - all out having a good time and admittedly a little drunk, had been to the club on top of Junk Ceylon and were walking back to Bangla on the pavement, we stopped to discuss where we were going to go next near some of the Tuk Tuks and were told to move.

I said in polite Thai we dont need a Tuk Tuk and we are just deciding where we are going next (still stood on the pavement)

Agressive Tuk Tuk driver then starts shouting and telling us to move.

Being slightly drunk and thinking I am stood on a pavement for the public and not blocking the road/ Tuk Tuk access or anything and wanting to sort out with friends where we are going I said to the Tuk Tuk driver wait a few minutes we are just talking.

At that point he starts pointing at me (very disrespectful in Thai culture and shouting), he the proceeds to push me. So I shout at him to stop it and what the hell does he think he is doing.

He pushes me again so I grab his arm (having spotted the BIB across the road) and start to pull him towards the BIB shouting "Help" and also to him that we can sort it out with the cops.

Obviously his mates all come round as I am pulling him towards the cops and grab him and pull him back.

At that point I realise what I have done, plus the GF is going nuts (At me!) and so we walk away (rather quickly) and go for a beer to cool down. Where I get shouted at by all the Thai GF for standing up to the Tuk Tuk driver..... I know I am stupid but NOT WRONG!!

The point is that I was perfectly in the right to stand where I was, not blocking his business (on a public path anyway) and got assaulted because I stood up to him - why do they get away with it so much?? Its a known problem.

The solution is simple -

1. Taxi licenses for the drivers
  2. Force them to have Full 1st Class Insurance and a road worthy certification for the vehicle (Like and MOT in the UK)
  3. A 3 strikes and your out rule - if they have a complaint made - one strike/ over charge - one strike/ have an unsafe vehicle - one strike/ drive badly - one strike
  4. 3 of them and they lose the license for 6 months. Then have to reapply, only have a limited amount of licenses available so competition is high to get them and it forces the current holders to comply with the rules or they loose their business.
  5. A central parking place for them off the main roads - with booths where you can go and they call the next Tuk Tuk in the queue to come collect the clients - No parking problems and a central place for all drivers and complaints to go to.
  6. The same can be applied to the private taxis as well - yesterday I saw a rice rocket (Completely modified Honda with front skirts, lowered suspension, spoilers, neon and racing stripes etc WITH A TAXI PLATE and a sticker saying TAXI on the car - &lt;deleted&gt;???

Who can we speak to to send complaints or questions about the Tuk Tuk behavior is there an official route to complain?