How To Install Thai Fonts On The Iphone?

PattayaParent

^then how do I enable Thai fonts?

Consider that mine was purchased in US 2 years ago with FW 1.1.4 installed and the only language besides English that I've found to install that is on the 'phone is Japanese although my brother in law di successfully install Vietnamese from an Internet download after a week of trying.

If you are running the latest firmware (3.1.2) and your primary language setting under "International" is "English", then you need to go to Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards and enable "Thai"

Thereafter you will be able to select keyboards using the key immediately to the left of the spacebar on the soft keyboard.

All iPhones have Thai fonts built-in.

Possibly "all iPhones" purchased in Thailand.

I have been buying Macs and iPod for decades, and none have had Thai font's pre-installed.

Probably any of the little shops that sell iPhones can install the font. Don't ask True though!

Edited by Curt1591

All iPhones have Thai fonts built-in.

Possibly "all iPhones" purchased in Thailand.

I have been buying Macs and iPod for decades, and none have had Thai font's pre-installed.

Probably any of the little shops that sell iPhones can install the font. Don't ask True though!

I thought that the international fonts reside in firmware. Are you suggesting that if you update to the latest firmware version via iTunes, you will not then have an available Thai font? Why do you think it necessary to visit any shop?

If you are running the latest firmware (3.1.2) and your primary language setting under "International" is "English", then you need to go to Settings>General>Keyboard>International Keyboards and enable "Thai"

Thereafter you will be able to select keyboards using the key immediately to the left of the spacebar on the soft keyboard.

I only have

English

English (UK)

French

German

Italian

keyboard options.

Settings: General: International: Language: and then pick from a full list for just about any language in the world. This is for phone language (that you see while moving around your phone)

For keyboards I go to:

Settings: General: Keyboard: International Keyboards: pick from a huge list

PATTAYAPARENT, ya the problem is your old out of date firmware, why are you still at 1.1.4? THAI was added in 3.0, you need to update to 3.0

Edited by Sabum

I only have the same languages available that I have keyboards available for.

Anyway the company IT guy found something on the web to install Thai fonts which was partly successful, it worked for SMS messages and parts of websites BUT it destroyed the Vietnamese fonts capability which fortunately was recovered on deleting the Thai fonts.

I only have the same languages available that I have keyboards available for.

Anyway the company IT guy found something on the web to install Thai fonts which was partly successful, it worked for SMS messages and parts of websites BUT it destroyed the Vietnamese fonts capability which fortunately was recovered on deleting the Thai fonts.

Interesting.

You could also upgrade to the 3.1.x firmware which has Thai built in out of the box, without any tricks, or any problems. Just works. Free in iTunes :)

Edited by nikster

^ Would I have to JailBreak the iPhone again after I've upgraded the Firmware?

Sure. But it's very easy with Blackra1n. Takes only a second. Blackra1n is great.

If you don't want to do yourself you can always give a shop a few 100 baht to do it for you. I paid 300 baht once, which I think is fair. Some want 1000 which is ridiculous.

^ Would I have to JailBreak the iPhone again after I've upgraded the Firmware?

Sure. But it's very easy with Blackra1n. Takes only a second. Blackra1n is great.

If you don't want to do yourself you can always give a shop a few 100 baht to do it for you. I paid 300 baht once, which I think is fair. Some want 1000 which is ridiculous.

I agree Nikster....

Well worth upgrading your software...

1) Many new software enhanced features - MMS, landscape keyboards etc, GSM triangulation, compatible with all Apps....

2) Shouldnt take more than 5 minutes with Blackra1n

I already said you had to update to 3.0 to get thai fonts. Anyway, do not go and try to update to official 3.0 THEN unlock/jailbreak, either google and learn how to do it (it is easy but YOU MUST FOLLOW THE STEPS EXACTLY) or pay a guy at MBK to do it. Do not update and then try to do it, updating is part of the process and you need to do it the right way or it wont work.

Chances are you have a 1st generation unlocked and jailbroken iPhone. With the app store there isn't much point in jailbraking the phone anymore but you will need to unlock it to use it in Thailand. iClarified has a easy to follow tutorial. Once you've upgrade to iPhone OS 3.0 you will have built in Thai fonts and a host of other improvements.

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4255