How To Apply For A Stand On The Sunday Market ?

ManilaLover

You wont be allowed to. You're not Thai. Also dont have work permit. And work permits dont allow competition with Thais in this sector ( crafts). However perhaps you can befriend one vendor and rent part of his stall. Be careful of inspectors though..... Might screw up your visa!!!!

You wont be allowed to. You're not Thai. Also dont have work permit. And work permits dont allow competition with Thais in this sector ( crafts). However perhaps you can befriend one vendor and rent part of his stall. Be careful of inspectors though..... Might screw up your visa!!!!

What you're saying makes sense. Although a few Sundays ago I say a non-thai person selling glass pipes and bongs. Maybe he was just sitting there, but he had a fanny pack and gave off the impression he owned the stand.

Thanxx, but:

A: My partner is a local

B: I did not say I'm gonna sit there myself

Or should I just go sit in the middle, wearing sunglasses and play my instrument :)

If this is for your partner who is Thai, I don't understand why you would ask this question in a foreigner forum for a thing that none of us our legally allowed to do.

Your wife speaking Thai to one of the vendors would probably get you a faster and more accurate response.

I don't know about the Sunday market (I suspect that the amphur office would know), but I do know of a few other markets and yes there is a head office for each one. Some of the fees are as low as a few thousand baht a day.

Don't just set up on the street without permission, you will lose everything. Inspectors don't always show up, but I have seen one old Thai lady loose her lot because she was set up without permission. I don't know if she ever got things back, but she wasn't too happy.

Sorry that I couldn't help

Good luck.

i always thought the walking street markets were free to vendors, just roll up and sell yr wares but no copied stuff

i could be wrong thou

The spaces are rented out cheaply, but I am told there are waiting lists. Take a Thai and ask at the Town Hall on the river by the white chedi and the US Consul.

Make it clear which weekend market you are talking about. The best known is Rachadamnoen "walking street" on Sundays, and the other 2 on Saturdays are Wualai Road and Bumrungrad Road, the section north west of the British Council/Consul.

The latter was started for Thais selling things unconnected with "traditional Thai culture", thus you get western items like old ad hoardings, sewing machines, car parts, tools, toys etc. Personally, I find it the most interesting - and the least well known among expats and tourists.

Strongly advise non-Thais not to set up at all, especially by oneself. Not even playing music. The powers-that-be will assume you are out to collect money and you freedom and visa will be in jeopardy. And that's not a nice place.

i always thought the walking street markets were free to vendors, just roll up and sell yr wares but no copied stuff

i could be wrong thou

The best known is Rachadamnoen "walking street" on Sundays, and the other 2 on Saturdays are Wualai Road and Bumrungrad Road, the section north west of the British Council/Consul.

This market is mostly on the road joining Kaeo Nawarat Rd and Rattanakosin Rd at  the lights near McCormick, and like you said, is not well known amongst the expats. There is also a market behind Carrefour in the Chiang Mai Business park but I'm not sure which day it is (weekend) catering mostly to young Thais - fashion and accesories. One of my many sisters will be here in a few weeks time so I imagine I'm going to find myself being dragged around such places - it's the only time I ever see Walking street.  :)

Edited by KevinHunt

I used to love going to the Sunday, early evening, walking street market. When it first started, and was relatively small, it was great way to end the weekend. Now that is has grown to such a size I find it an ordeal to shepherd my visitors through it,its shoulder to shoulder, anyone else have the same feelings ?

i could be wrong thou

The spaces are rented out cheaply, but I am told there are waiting lists. Take a Thai and ask at the Town Hall on the river by the white chedi and the US Consul.

Make it clear which weekend market you are talking about. The best known is Rachadamnoen "walking street" on Sundays, and the other 2 on Saturdays are Wualai Road and Bumrungrad Road, the section north west of the British Council/Consul.

The latter was started for Thais selling things unconnected with "traditional Thai culture", thus you get western items like old ad hoardings, sewing machines, car parts, tools, toys etc. Personally, I find it the most interesting - and the least well known among expats and tourists.

Strongly advise non-Thais not to set up at all, especially by oneself. Not even playing music. The powers-that-be will assume you are out to collect money and you freedom and visa will be in jeopardy. And that's not a nice place.

Have you done a search for it on this forum. I did supply this information to somebody last year but I lost it. There you can find the office. That said, there is (or at least used to be) a very long waiting list. A good alternative is to look for a space at a Wat. They get lots of pedestrian traffic too. When my wife did it. they charged her 50 baht rental for the day.

Hi again. Well if your partner Thai then go through her. Sure go to Amphur office next to White Chedi and do it that way. Can't think that it would cost 1000B a day. But if you have a Thai sitting there you could also. It just has to appear that falangs are not taking jobs away from Thais. Always go through your Thai contacts to get things done. It's quicker, and I think Thais think that you are acting appropriately in their eyes. This is always important to take the polite appropriate way thus avoiding any possible personal conflict or creating disturbance, possibly putting anyone in a position to lose face. This is most important in Thai society. If you follow this rule you will always be accepted and loved because you really respect and follow one of Thailand's deeply held 'ways of being'.

<snip> There is also a market behind Carrefour in the Chiang Mai Business park but I'm not sure which day it is (weekend) catering mostly to young Thais - fashion and accesories. One of my many sisters will be here in a few weeks time so I imagine I'm going to find myself being dragged around such places - it's the only time I ever see Walking street.  :)

I *still* haven't seen the Sunday walking Street market that everyone talks about. Unfortunately I have not been able to avoid two other markets because they are close to home:

The One behind Carfour that you mention is open Thursdays Fridays and I think has now been extended to include Saturdays. Now that you mention it, yes indeed most of the products are trendy things—clothes, fashion accessories, shoes, earrings. I had completely failed to notice this and now understand why my daughters keep wanting to go there! I sit at a place called Dink (yes, Dink!) while they shop. Cold beer (hence the name?) and over-priced, small portion 'fusion' snacks while I wait.

There's another market (Mondays, Tuesdays) at the Meechok Plaza, the open area around Rimping. When this market first opened about two years ago, I'd asked one of the vendors and was told she'd paid 50 baht a day for her stall. I once saw a Farang selling belts there.

I'd be surprised if there weren't waiting lists of vendors at any of these temporary markets.

<snip> There is also a market behind Carrefour in the Chiang Mai Business park but I'm not sure which day it is (weekend) catering mostly to young Thais - fashion and accesories. One of my many sisters will be here in a few weeks time so I imagine I'm going to find myself being dragged around such places - it's the only time I ever see Walking street. :)

I *still* haven't seen the Sunday walking Street market that everyone talks about. Unfortunately I have not been able to avoid two other markets because they are close to home:

The One behind Carfour that you mention is open Thursdays Fridays and I think has now been extended to include Saturdays. Now that you mention it, yes indeed most of the products are trendy things—clothes, fashion accessories, shoes, earrings. I had completely failed to notice this and now understand why my daughters keep wanting to go there! I sit at a place called Dink (yes, Dink!) while they shop. Cold beer (hence the name?) and over-priced, small portion 'fusion' snacks while I wait.

A falang selling belts. Amazing. Probably because it was a smaller place, different from Walking Street at Tapae. Ordinary Thais dont care about those rules. Dink is of course world famous. ( There is no r sound in Thai).

There's another market (Mondays, Tuesdays) at the Meechok Plaza, the open area around Rimping. When this market first opened about two years ago, I'd asked one of the vendors and was told she'd paid 50 baht a day for her stall. I once saw a Farang selling belts there.

I'd be surprised if there weren't waiting lists of vendors at any of these temporary markets.

<snip> There is also a market behind Carrefour in the Chiang Mai Business park but I'm not sure which day it is (weekend) catering mostly to young Thais - fashion and accesories. One of my many sisters will be here in a few weeks time so I imagine I'm going to find myself being dragged around such places - it's the only time I ever see Walking street. :)

There is also the Tesco Khamthieng market on Wednesday's?? and the San Khampaeng walking street market on Saturday night which is pretty good.