New Rider In Chiang Mai

witold

Trying to escape USA cold weather, I came here, rented Kawi ER6 from Mr Mechanic and I'm exploring the area a little bit.  Nice twisty roads and interesting for me.  

Back in the USA, I have 2 sportbikes and 1 supermoto. (Yamaha R6, Gsxr 600, and KTM 690 SMC)  I like to ride.  :)

Are there any motorcycle specific "must do" things in this region?  Mae Sa Valley Samoeng loop is very nice.  Are there any biker hang outs, etc?  

Vito

How could you rent from Mr Mechanic and not know about the Golden Triangle Riders? gt-rider dot com

By far the most comprehensive motorcycle site for Thailand and beyond. Check it out- you will find everything you are looking for and more!

Happy Trails!

Tony

Get yourself a gt-rider map and if you need some motivation, checkout some of Tony's trip reports. :D

Aw, shucks, yer too kind :D

I seem to recall you posted up a pretty nice trip report recently as well. :)

Ride On!

Hey isn't Tony that pesky guy who always showing off those good trip reports and being a closet ER6N whore :D

I had to look twice and I realised you guys were talking about Chiang Mai to Phayao. I first thought I you guys were mentioning Chiang Rai to Phayao, which would have to be one of the boringest pieces highway road I've had to travel on. Will definitely keep the CM-PHAYAO-CM loop in the back of my mind though, thanks :)

As for actual riding I always think there are two things to know that may not seem obvious...

Cow shit/buffalo shit means cows/buffalo on the road around the next corner...

Tree branches on the road are the Thai equivalent of safety traingles/traffic cones... slow down, take care...

and also, there is no such thing as 'my side of the road, your side of the road', only my bit of road and your bit of road...

I would venture that the roads East of CM are better than the roads West, because they carry less traffic... do your best to ride on as many 3 and 4 numbered roads as you can... single and two digit roads are for getting from A to B and carry much more traffic...

And don't believe anything Tony writes, he is a dirty liar :):D:D

Cheers,

Daewoo

I had to look twice and I realised you guys were talking about Chiang Mai to Phayao. I first thought I you guys were mentioning Chiang Rai to Phayao, which would have to be one of the boringest pieces highway road I've had to travel on. Will definitely keep the CM-PHAYAO-CM loop in the back of my mind though, thanks :)

Yes Garry, CM-Phayao is a great ride. Rather short if you just go CM-118-120-Phayao. Better IMHO to go this way: CM- north 107 to Chiang Dao, hang a right (east) on the 1150 to Phrao, then on over the next mountain range to Ban Pong, right (south) on the 108, left (east) on the 120 to Phayao. An awesome full day ride! Next day ride on to Nan and some of the very best motorcycle roads in Thailand.

120709Rt1180aZm.jpg

Happy Trails!

Tony

You can check out my posting over at GT-Rider about the "dirt in Samoeng" for some short and well maintained dirt roads around the Samoeng valley to see how your bike handles off the pavement. If it is a bit sloppy then switch to a D-Tracker, a mini SM bike well suited to the north. I also posted some routes that take a bit longer, but still get you back into Chiang Mai the same day. All the roads are on David's Mae Hong Song Loop maps. As long as it stays dry without rain, you can take the D-Tracker just about anywhere off the pavement. Just go slow going downhill without the knobby tires. For some high mountain views the road from Samoeng up to Wat Chan is hard to beat.

Best times to ride, and I know this is hard, are before 10:00AM and after 3:00PM. Best to be heading west in the AM and east in the PM for the best lighting with the sun at your back and not in your face.

Edited by Johpa

As for actual riding I always think there are two things to know that may not seem obvious...

Tree branches on the road are the Thai equivalent of safety traingles/traffic cones... slow down, take care...

and also, there is no such thing as 'my side of the road, your side of the road', only my bit of road and your bit of road...

Good advice.

The cows are especially a surprise the first time. They sometimes block your lane, or both lanes. Don't honk at the cows, just go around them slowly.

Good advice.

The cows are especially a surprise the first time. They sometimes block your lane, or both lanes. Don't honk at the cows, just go around them slowly.

We have our own road hazards in Chiang Rai.

Get out of the way ya dopey buggers..!!
One consolation though, the Buffalo's over here are like big puppies, not like the 'psychopathic smash you into the ground until you're a bloody pulp' buffalos in Africa or Australia :)

post-6366-1263354199_thumb.jpg

Yes Garry, CM-Phayao is a great ride. Rather short if you just go CM-118-120-Phayao. Better IMHO to go this way: CM- north 107 to Chiang Dao, hang a right (east) on the 1150 to Phrao, then on over the next mountain range to Ban Pong, right (south) on the 108, left (east) on the 120 to Phayao. An awesome full day ride! Next day ride on to Nan and some of the very best motorcycle roads in Thailand.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks Tony, taking note of all this. I'm looking forward to riding a lot of roads this year given time and the purchase of my new beasty :D

Edited by Garry

Can't go wrong with the CM-Pai-Mae Hong Son-Mae Sariang-CM loop. Just allow some time, there are many curves  :)

This was indeed a very legit loop.  I am glad I survived it.  I left CM after noon, because when I glanced at the GTrider map I thought I could cut it short at Khun Yuam (and start heading to CM at that point.)  As you know this isn't the case and the sun was about to set when I got to that area.  I followed the rest of the loop in the dark, unfortunately.  Almost run out of gas.  Got pretty lucky in that respect.  But yes, a great loop indeed.  

I will give CM-Phayao route a shot... Any others?

Thank you guys for the responses.  This is the sort of info that is invaluable to me.  

Are there any specific routes or things I should not miss as I start moving south towards Mae Sot?  

p.s nice bike collection in the US there! shame you cant rent them here in chiang mai

Kawi Er6 is a pretty darn good bike.  The only thing that sucks on it is suspension, can only adjust preload on the shock. I wish I could play around to set it up better for these bumpy turns, but otherwise it is a great bike.  I presume it is a big success in Thailand.  Good value for money and capable enough.  

Is there such a thing as motorcycle trackdays in Thailand?  Where you can go on a racetrack and go as fast as you want on the circuit?  

Thank you guys for the responses.  This is the sort of info that is invaluable to me.  

Are there any specific routes or things I should not miss as I start moving south towards Mae Sot?  

p.s nice bike collection in the US there! shame you cant rent them here in chiang mai

Kawi Er6 is a pretty darn good bike.  The only thing that sucks on it is suspension, can only adjust preload on the shock. I wish I could play around to set it up better for these bumpy turns, but otherwise it is a great bike.  I presume it is a big success in Thailand.  Good value for money and capable enough.  

Is there such a thing as motorcycle trackdays in Thailand?  Where you can go on a racetrack and go as fast as you want on the circuit?  

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Pirelli-Sbk-...eb-t328326.html

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Track-Dates-...ry-t240442.html

http://www.bira.co.th/n5-static.php?q=ourservice

http://video.google.com/videosearch?hl=en&...ved=0CB0QqwQwAw

Oops, I really should've searched before asking.  Too bad I will not be here for Pirelli day.  That seems like a really nice event.  

I also find it surprising that the prices are - again - more expensive than in the US.  I would think that track days would be cheaper.  (cheaper land, cheaper insurance, etc)  

Oops, I really should've searched before asking. Too bad I will not be here for Pirelli day. That seems like a really nice event.

I also find it surprising that the prices are - again - more expensive than in the US. I would think that track days would be cheaper. (cheaper land, cheaper insurance, etc)

Track days are incredibly cheap here in Thailand- if I remember correctly BIRA, Nakhon Chaisiri and Kaeng Krachan circuits all charge 1000 Baht or less for a half day riding in the morning. The Pirelli Race Day is a big event, hence more expensive.