Retirement Papers Process Confusion !

15 October 2009 I went to Malaysia and requested and received two months TR visa.

14 December 2009 requested received at immigration Bangkok extension till 13 Jan

16 December 2009 presented at immigration Bangkok my complete retirement file and papers requesting a retirement visa.

9 January 2010 received at Bangkok non O visa …until 13 March 2010 !!! I expected to recieve my retirment visa !

I was informed to request then again…...an extension......

When will I get my retirement visa ?

Of course on 16 December 2010 at my initial request I had more than the required 800 KBth in the bank. Do I need to keep it above 800 KBath till I get my retirement visa ?

FYI I meet all retirement critria's.

1. You now have the prerequisite non-immigrant "O" visa which you received from immigration on 9 January 2010.

2. A couple of weeks before 13 March 2010 go to immigration and apply for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

3. You need to meet all the requirements for the retirement extension at that point in time, especially the 800K baht in the bank part.

4. You do not get a retirement visa, you get an extension of your permission to stay in Thailand based on retirement.

Edited by InterestedObserver

Yes, you can apply from 30 days before your curent prmission to stay ends in March. Applying early won't cost you any days, as the extension will start fom the day your curent permission to stay ends. Until you have your 1 year extension approved, you need to keep the money in the bank.

A point of emphasis, when using the bank deposit method do not let your bank balance drop below 800k baht for two months immediately prior to receiving your first extension of stay based on retirement, three months for subsequent extensions. The 800k baht must be on deposit in Thailand for the specified length of time prior to receiving a retirement extension of stay. This may be the reason the OP did not receive his retirement extension when he first applied, that and the fact that he did not have the required non-immigrant visa in his passport.

… 9 January 2010 received at Bangkok non O visa …until 13 March 2010 !!! I expected to recieve my retirment visa !...

A non-immigrant visa is a prerequisite for the application for extension of stay for the reason of retirement (retirement extension). As you had arrived in Thailand with a tourist visa, the immigration office first had to change your visa status from tourist to non-immigrant and this non-immigrant visa gave you a new permission to stay for 90 days. Only now that you fulfil this particular requirement for the retirement extension will you be able to apply for the retirement extension during the last 30 days of your current permission to stay.

--

Maestro