Does The India Consulate In Chiangmai Issue Tourist Visas?

kharmabum

Yes they do, and I got one there last year. The bizarre thing is that they had no interest in my Thai address and proof of residence - all they wanted was a UK address (I have UK passport). Three day turnaround if I remember.

why is that bizarre? are they only supposed to issue visas to non thais who are residents of thailand? i'd be a tourist when i apply. also, did you have to show proof of your adress in the U.K.? i ask, because even though I have a U.S. passport i don't live in the U.S. I live in South Korea. the reason i don't apply for the visa in south korea is that i read that they start from the day they're issued, not on the day you arrive in india, so half my time would be used up before i even got there.

p.s. was yours good for 6 months?

thanks again

Yes they do, and I got one there last year. The bizarre thing is that they had no interest in my Thai address and proof of residence - all they wanted was a UK address (I have UK passport). Three day turnaround if I remember.

why is that bizarre? are they only supposed to issue visas to non thais who are residents of thailand? i'd be a tourist when i apply. also, did you have to show proof of your adress in the U.K.? i ask, because even though I have a U.S. passport i don't live in the U.S. I live in South Korea. the reason i don't apply for the visa in south korea is that i read that they start from the day they're issued, not on the day you arrive in india, so half my time would be used up before i even got there.

p.s. was yours good for 6 months?

thanks again

Bizarre, because if I'd have needed proof that I lived in the UK I would not have been able to provide it. They asked for a UK address as it was a UK passport. If you have a US passport they will probably ask for a US address, but I was not asked for proof - simply gave the address of my parents. I only got a 3 month visa as it was cheaper and all I needed. I think they will give whatever you need, but best to take along your flight booking/ticket which if I remember they did ask for.

I recently received a multiple entry tourist visa valid for 6 months from date of issue from the Indian Consulate here in town and no plane ticket was required and the process was straight forward but did take 7 days and they will return your passport during this period. Note the Consulate is on Thung Hotel Road east of the river and not Chareonrat as many a web site list. Hours 0900-1200.

Good luck

Have received several business visas from Indian Consulate in CM. My understanding of their system is the visa application is processed by the Indian embassy in your country of origin (i.e the country that issued your passport). Apparently they do some kind of checks on you there (Who knows what......). That's why it takes seven days. Consulate here just accepts the application, then attaches visa in your passport once approved. Very efficient and courteous Thai lady who runs the office.