Australia. Visa Labels

Visited the local DIAC office in Cairns on the 11/01/2010 to have the visa 100 affixed in her passport and was advised that by the end of 2010 no more visa labels will be inserted in foreign passports. Asked about the airline policy of having a visa the officer replied that it was going to be an airline problem and they were expecting a lot of visa holders to ask to have the visa inserted and to be told is no longer required.

She was also advised that she was entitled to apply for Australian Citizenship 3 years after the date her visa 100 was issued. DIAC have the actual date on their database.

Can see all sorts of problems at airports without visa labels in passports. Presumably airlines will have some sort of limited access to the visa data base.

Under new legislation, the residential qualifying period for the conferral of Australian citizenship is now 4 years lawful residence in Australia prior to application and which must include 12 months as a permanent resident.

In other words time spent, lawfully, in Australia on temporary visas count as part of the 4 year qualifying period.

Absences of up to 12 months are allowed during the 4 years, including no more than 3 months absence in the 12 months prior to application.

Can see all sorts of problems at airports without visa labels in passports. Presumably airlines will have some sort of limited access to the visa data base.

Under new legislation, the residential qualifying period for the conferral of Australian citizenship is now 4 years lawful residence in Australia prior to application and which must include 12 months as a permanent resident.

In other words time spent, lawfully, in Australia on temporary visas count as part of the 4 year qualifying period.

Absences of up to 12 months are allowed during the 4 years, including no more than 3 months absence in the 12 months prior to application.

Applicants granted permanent residence after 01/07/2007.

https://www.ecom.immi.gov.au/citz/startIntervalCalc.do

If you were granted permanent residence on eg 1/ 8/ 2007 you would be able to apply for Australian citizenship 3 years from that date, subject to any periods ouside of Australia which you would make up. The last year ( year 4) you must be in Australia on a continuous basis.

The date for application is on the DIAC database.

Any periods spent in Australia before permanent residence is granted no longer counts as permanent residence.

Edited by david96

I imagine that the airlines will be able to check electronically as they do with other nationalities. As a UK citizen I don't need a visa but I do need to apply online for permission to travel, the airlines have always checked this when I have checked in and whilst I have always printed off the confirmation from the Australian website I have never been asked to show it.

That said, I can still see problems at check in with visa nationals.