Fishing In Or Near Bangkok

ashacat

Hi,

I currently have a guest staying with me from the UK who is looking to do a spot of fishing whilst here in Bangkok. He has not brought any of his equipment with him and he is 70 years old so he is not looking for anything too hardcore.

Can anyone recommend a lake/fishing area in or near Bangkok which has rods/equipment for rent? I live near the Emporium so Eastern Bangkok will probably be easier, although anywhere that is not too far from the centre should be OK.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Cat.

Most of the fishing parks stock catfish which put up one heck of a fight. The obvious choice would be Bung Samran, they stock other fish too and have equipment for rent.

Call them on 027349272 they also have guides available who can advise on tackle, bait and setup, perhaps even take over the rod if the fight gets a bit too much for your friend

I like many here boycott bungsamran because of their racial double pricing policy, There are so many good places to go fishing here without supporting bungsamran, the fact he has no tackle with him is not a problem.

pm me for details :)

Same here i boycott it too because of the racial double pricing. I used to go there but not anymore because of the double pricing. I doubt they care but its the only statement i can make.

• 2 weeks later...
I like many here boycott bungsamran because of their racial double pricing policy, There are so many good places to go fishing here without supporting bungsamran, the fact he has no tackle with him is not a problem.

Same here i boycott it too because of the racial double pricing. I used to go there but not anymore because of the double pricing. I doubt they care but its the only statement i can make.

Yes, I agree, can not be that the prices are same like in europe, or higher... but where to go else?

Yes, I agree, can not be that the prices are same like in europe, or higher... but where to go else?

There is a very good fishing pond at Phahonyothin Road opposite Boonthavorn and before Talad Thai. The fishing pond is called " Chae Nong" Price is reasonable . They charge 100 baht per rod and you get the fish free at 2 Kgs. maximum per fishing rod. Their pomfret are about 2 to 3 Kgs per fish. Pla Sawai or fresh water catfish weighing at a minimum of 2.2 Kgs . Great place , friendly people and non racial pricing.The only setback is you MUST purchased bread or fresh baits from them.But they are inexpensive. I fish there 3 times a week . I came to know this fishing place about 2 weeks ago.

Ngau nam is good but hard nice big fish but harder to catch as in bungsamran.

Sakuna is good too fish a lil smaller but more action then in bungsamran.

There's another nice spot called Fishing World in Minburi. Its a very large lake with only a few rafts which are spread very far apart from each other which are reached by boat.

I like it because it feels much more natural than many of the stocked ponds you come across here, but because of the fact that it is such a large lake you can quite easily blank here.

I usually use a float and bait ball method, bottom fished live bait, and spin, all from the raft. However, trolling is also reputed to be effective here but I have never tried it.

All sorts of fish including large Pacu, Barramundi, Snakehead, Catfish, and many others I cant identify.

(I cant remember the pricing policy however so check into it if that sort of thing bothers you).

There's another nice spot called Fishing World in Minburi. Its a very large lake with only a few rafts which are spread very far apart from each other which are reached by boat.

I like it because it feels much more natural than many of the stocked ponds you come across here, but because of the fact that it is such a large lake you can quite easily blank here.

I usually use a float and bait ball method, bottom fished live bait, and spin, all from the raft. However, trolling is also reputed to be effective here but I have never tried it.

All sorts of fish including large Pacu, Barramundi, Snakehead, Catfish, and many others I cant identify.

(I cant remember the pricing policy however so check into it if that sort of thing bothers you).

Its not the pricing that anoy's me i would be happy with bungsamran prices but i don't like dual prices... just cant accept those kind of things. Of all the places for fishing i have been to bungsamran is the only one with dual pricing.

There are some very good ponds in the Phuttamonthon Sai 2, Sai 3, Sai 4 areas too. This is just outside BKK past the new Southern bus terminal. Prices go from 40 baht a day up to 100 baht a day. Doesn't matter who you are, prices are the same for all. Most give you the first 2 KG of fish caught free. I have caught 4 - 5 KG Snake heads, 3 KG Pla Nin, a 4 KG Pla Duk(catfish) put up a fantastic fight. Several of the ponds have the "giant catfish" (Pla Buk) and many are well over a 100 KGs. The same ponds say there are "Amazon" fish there too, but I have not seen one caught yet, so can't be certain. There is a huge variety of fish in all the ponds in this area. Food on sale varies, but is generally cheap and tastes OK. Beer and such are not expensive either. Rods and gear available at most places I have fished for around 100 baht a day. Have attached a jpg of a catfish I caught recently. They couldn't work the camera, so I had them hold it. Took me well over an hour to bring the fish in, with the rig I was using. The other pic is a fish they call a Pla Gene. PM me if you want more details.

• 3 weeks later...

Its not the pricing that anoy's me i would be happy with bungsamran prices but i don't like dual prices... just cant accept those kind of things. Of all the places for fishing i have been to bungsamran is the only one with dual pricing.

Lake Monsters also has dual pricing at the extreme, but thye wont even let their own fish there except one day a month (although this might have changed). Im sure sooner or later some good CLEAN fisheries with fair pricing policy will come into being, Scooner (Sakuna) is a reasonably tidy fishery if the setting is a bit plain, but good for a day out and introduction to the Thai fishing scene without breaking the bank.

• 7 months later...

Lake Monsters has always had dual pricing and at times Palm Tree Lagoon has too...unfortunately most the Thai ran places that haveanything other than Sawai and Mekong to target have a dual pricing policy in place...its just maybe you dont get to hear about it so readily...dont blatently put it on a board as you walk thru reception!

You boycot the lake because they do what virtually everyone else does in this country, do you eat and drink, because there is double pricing there to, if you wanted to fish a lake like Bungsamran in the UK it would cost you so much more than Bungsamran charge,

You boycot the lake because they do what virtually everyone else does in this country, do you eat and drink, because there is double pricing there to, if you wanted to fish a lake like Bungsamran in the UK it would cost you so much more than Bungsamran charge,

I don't live in any tourist area. I get charged here the same as a Thai. No dual pricing where i live. Sorry we dont all live in tourist spots where we get ripped off. You cant compare bungsamran with UK because average wages are also higher in the UK. If you compare be honest about how you compare.

I boycot it most of the time i make one exception and that is when my father and brother come next month. But I will try to get in for Thai prices (i sometimes do by showing my thai DL and speaking passable thai). Its not a money issue.. (though i could use the 600 bath on other stuff). I dont like dual pricing for residents... for a tourist i can understand it a little bit.. but only a little bit.

I have been allowed to go into BSR 2 times for Thai prices after showing the DL other people have similar experiences. I just hate dual prices, but if you dont mind them be my guest. I also doubt that not going there by me and others makes much of a dent in their profits.

I am like Rob in that I refuse to go to BSR because of the dual pricing. The actual pricing is not the issue. If it were say 2k for everyone then fine by me but not 2k for some and 400 for others. (I do not know the current rates and those figures were raised purely as an example)

Saying that it would cost twice as much in so and so country means <deleted> to me. In most other countries it would be twice as much for everybody.

If you are on holiday and it is a once in a lifetime chance for you, well that is up to you. I live and work here so I vote by not going. I last fished there years ago, can't rememeber exactly but there wasn't any dual pricing then. It was not as well known back then though.

Anyway, like Rob says, they certainly won't miss us as there are more than enough punters willing to pay foreign rates.

When my dad came to Thailand a few years ago, I even took him to the Grand Palace despite the "Thais free foreigners pay" policy because it was a once in a lifetime chance for him. I had lived in Thailand 20 years and up to then and had adamantly refused to go because of the entry policy. So you can see there are exceptions to the rules we set ourselves. :D

Edited by GarryP

You'd pay less at a commercial fishery in the UK than BSR.You can say that it's acceptable because your fishing for large fish,but there are other fisheries that hold fish of the same weight and only charge the same has Thai's.I,ve

also found the staff there to be less than appreciative of your custom.

So many people whinge about duel pricing so why the <deleted> are you in a country that uses that everyday and every where??? no I don't like it and yes I do have the choice to go somewhere else that choses to charge me a different price, I accept it because I decided to live here in Thailand, I would not boycot any where because I would die of starvation not have a drink or not be able to indulge in my fishing passion. get over it and move on, thai's will charge what they think they can get away with it!!!!!! but it's up to you, stop WHINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So many people whinge about duel pricing so why the <deleted> are you in a country that uses that everyday and every where??? no I don't like it and yes I do have the choice to go somewhere else that choses to charge me a different price, I accept it because I decided to live here in Thailand, I would not boycot any where because I would die of starvation not have a drink or not be able to indulge in my fishing passion. get over it and move on, thai's will charge what they think they can get away with it!!!!!! but it's up to you, stop WHINGING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You call it wining.. most of us call it having principles. Our posts did not attack you in any way but you seem to be really agressive. Did i make a point.. did it hurt ?.

We also have a choice just like you and we choose not to. We don't say that you can't go. If there is someone who has to stop whinging its you.

Dual prices are bad, and i avoid them if i can. You even say you don't like them so you agree with me. Only how we cope with it is different. You accept them.. i don't (in general with some exceptions). I just don't live in a tourist area and i don't get charged a different price as Thais most of the time.

What you getting excited about.If some refuse not to fish at a water that has duel pricing then that is their choice.Just because some except it doesn't make it right,There's more than enough place's to fish that don't

follow this procedure so has we don't have to leave the country.It;s hardly whinging because some expats don't wont to be taken has farang idiots.

You call it wining.. most of us call it having principles. Our posts did not attack you in any way but you seem to be really agressive. Did i make a point.. did it hurt ?.

We also have a choice just like you and we choose not to. We don't say that you can't go. If there is someone who has to stop whinging its you.

Dual prices are bad, and i avoid them if i can. You even say you don't like them so you agree with me. Only how we cope with it is different. You accept them.. i don't (in general with some exceptions). I just don't live in a tourist area and i don't get charged a different price as Thais most of the time.

Firstly I am not agressive and have never been agressive to anyone, no you have not made a point and no it did not hurt!!! I totally agree with you it is out of order that Thai's charge us more in fact I have to say I hate it, but I left the UK because for me it was an unhappy exsistance so I came here for a better life which it is, loved Bungsamran and to me life is just to short and you are a long time dead to miss out on anything that I want to do because of duel pricing, we all have a choice again for me I chose to do the thing's I want to do and <deleted> the extra few Bht I will have to pay but it does bug me, I grin and bear it, thankfully it does not bug me to the point of unhappyness. hope this now makes sense maybe I did not explain enough in my first post..

What you getting excited about.If some refuse not to fish at a water that has duel pricing then that is their choice.Just because some except it doesn't make it right,There's more than enough place's to fish that don't

follow this procedure so has we don't have to leave the country.It;s hardly whinging because some expats don't wont to be taken has farang idiots.

This is what really annoys me, how on earth can you say people that pay a different price are Farang idiots!!!! I think it is great that you obviously have never paid more than the Thai's maybe you could tell us all how you have managed this.

:rolleyes:

Firstly I am not agressive and have never been agressive to anyone, no you have not made a point and no it did not hurt!!! I totally agree with you it is out of order that Thai's charge us more in fact I have to say I hate it, but I left the UK because for me it was an unhappy exsistance so I came here for a better life which it is, loved Bungsamran and to me life is just to short and you are a long time dead to miss out on anything that I want to do because of duel pricing, we all have a choice again for me I chose to do the thing's I want to do and <deleted> the extra few Bht I will have to pay but it does bug me, I grin and bear it, thankfully it does not bug me to the point of unhappyness. hope this now makes sense maybe I did not explain enough in my first post..

This is a much more civil post. If you are happy with it then do it. If I am not happy with it I dont.. live and let live. Your reaction seemed a bit aggressive unlike this one.

This is what really annoys me, how on earth can you say people that pay a different price are Farang idiots!!!! I think it is great that you obviously have never paid more than the Thai's maybe you could tell us all how you have managed this.

I,ve obviously fished BSR so yes I,ve had to except the pricing structure there but that was when I were a tourist to Thailand.Now I live here I see things different.Has for you getting annoyed I really don't give a toss,it's

not going to change my fishing habits and try not to forget that's all it's about, fishing.

This is a much more civil post. If you are happy with it then do it. If I am not happy with it I dont.. live and let live. Your reaction seemed a bit aggressive unlike this one.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr lol

I,ve obviously fished BSR so yes I,ve had to except the pricing structure there but that was when I were a tourist to Thailand.Now I live here I see things different.Has for you getting annoyed I really don't give a toss,it's

not going to change my fishing habits and try not to forget that's all it's about, fishing.

Yes I can see you don't give a toss that is why you call other Farang's idiots, it's all about the fishing to me and I won't miss out for the sake of a few bht, tight lines to all fish lovers.