Metered Taxis In Khon Kaen From January 20

george

Metered taxis in Khon Kaen

KHON KAEN: -- Metered taxis will be available in Khon Kaen from January 20 and the new service should not affect tuk-tuk and motorcycle taxis because the target market is different, the business operator said yesterday.

SC Garage Khon Kaen, which invested Bt20 million on the service, will initially have 30 taxis working round the clock and would add another 49 next year, executive Chaiyan Pleawthong said. The meter rate would start at Bt30 and increase by Bt4 per kilometre after the third kilometre, he said. The taxis will be available at 16 stands. Customers can also call for a cab at (043) 465 777-87 for an additional fee of Bt30.

Chaiyan added that the service was targeted at residents outside the Muang district and late-night travellers.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-13

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone actually tried calling this number? I did and it doesnt work, the number is incorrect they say...

God was I happy to have found a taxi service to get out of this city... I guess Ill have to carry my luggage to the busstation, unless I get really lucky and one of the 3 tuktuks Ive seen so far passes bye...

I should stick to the rivers and the lakes that Im used to, those being CM and BKK.

According to google maps the distance between the Airport in Khon Kaen and our destination is 167 km.

My calculations makes: 30 B for start + 30 B for calling + 167 x 4 for distance = 728 B in total. That would be a nice deal. Maybe they would charge something for the return?

Can anyone local see if it is possible, and if the have fixed priced for long distance like in Bangkok?

Can anybody give an update on the metered taxi service in Khon Kaen please?

Are they at the airport to meet incoming flights?

I live 130km out of the city and would welcome this service with open arms, especially at the airport.

Thanks in advance for any info

I live 130km out of the city and would welcome this service with open arms, especially at the airport.

Don't have this information and agree the taxis will be a big plus. However, I wondered if you knew that you can already get a limo from the airport car hire desk and that the price isn't that bad. I have trevelled a couple of times to a location near Mahsarakham and it was either 600 baht or 800 baht (memory not so good). A mini van was about 1000 or 1200baht. It looks like the regular taxis might be even better though!

Don't have this information and agree the taxis will be a big plus. However, I wondered if you knew that you can already get a limo from the airport car hire desk and that the price isn't that bad. I have trevelled a couple of times to a location near Mahsarakham and it was either 600 baht or 800 baht (memory not so good). A mini van was about 1000 or 1200baht. It looks like the regular taxis might be even better though!

Thanks for that info mate, my wife usually picks me up and drops me off but it is getting to be inconvenient in regard to the flight times etc, any of the car hire desks or a specific one?

Thanks for that info mate, my wife usually picks me up and drops me off but it is getting to be inconvenient in regard to the flight times etc, any of the car hire desks or a specific one?

As you get to the arrivals level and exit the baggage pick-up room, the car hire desk is straight on in front of you near a waiting area with seats. I think it is Budget but am not dead sure. The only downside is that if a lot of people have the same idea you can be waiting a while. I'd still be tempted to check out the taxis as well though.

Edited by citizen33

Me too! An update would be very appreciated.

Also about how to order airport limo in advance. 600-800 baht for app. 100 km to Mahsarakham looks fine to us.

Just had a chat with a niece. She is a student and lives in KKC:

• the taxis exist
  • they are painted yellow and green
  • they are parked in front of the head office of the company
  • they are not running yet and the phone is not yet answered
  • base cost will be 30 Baht plus 4 Baht each km exceeding 3 km
  • trips to the country will NOT run by meter - outside of the city limit the price will be up to discussions

Regards

Thedi

• the taxis exist
  • trips to the country will NOT run by meter - outside of the city limit the price will be up to discussions

Regards

Thedi

Thanks for the update, hopefully they will be running soon and available at the airport...sounds like a commercial winner. Can only hope somebody influential is at the helm and doesnt get stuffed around.

• the taxis exist

Regards

Thedi

Thanks for the update, hopefully they will be running soon and available at the airport...sounds like a commercial winner. Can only hope somebody influential is at the helm and doesnt get stuffed around.

The fact that they exist but aren't running yet, despite an announced 20 Jan starting date, suggests that the owner is not as influential as s/he ought to be to get the taxis on the road. Sounds like s/he's still negotiating with the powers that be in KK, including the mob that control the tuk-tuks, whose profits stand to suffer when these taxis start running. I can't wait for these meter-taxis to start work, as I really can't stand the money-grubbing tuk-tuks that prowl the streets or hang out in the bus station asking exhorbitant fares for short distances. :)

• 1 month later...

Used them today from a small desk at the main bus station, very helpful, took me to KK Immigration, driver and I not too sure where to go by previous directions given, but we worked it out.

A phone call to the service after finished at Immigration saw the same taxi back in about 15 minutes.

So so different to Pattaya where the taxi service is a complete and utter joke.

Oh, BTW no question about using the METER, it was on both times before I even had a chance to ask!

Used them today from a small desk at the main bus station, very helpful, took me to KK Immigration, driver and I not too sure where to go by previous directions given, but we worked it out.

A phone call to the service after finished at Immigration saw the same taxi back in about 15 minutes.

So so different to Pattaya where the taxi service is a complete and utter joke.

Oh, BTW no question about using the METER, it was on both times before I even had a chance to ask!

What was the fare Fishhooks for future reference from the bus station a/c? to immigration?

Was about 50 going from main bus station, and about 60 coming back to Central Shopping C.

The trip back included a 20Baht phone booking fee.

I just feel so good about these new taxi services in Korat, Udon & KK, getting on a bit in years. Easy to feel insulted in Pattaya the way they operate, or should I say "don't" operate. Sorry to be a tad repetitive.

Thanks for that...yes i also have only heard good reports about the k k taxis which is quite refreshing,lets hope it continues and stop the tuk tuks from ripping people! :)

On another point just got back home from k k centre and there was a 2 block stretch cordoned off behind the non a/c bus station where all the reds are meeting for transportation to bkk...it was very busy and a lot of buses ready to roll!!

Edited by NADTATIDA1

• 10 months later...

Hope the service is as good as it was about a year back!

Coming from experiences with attempting to use the taxi (sorry, scam service) in Pattaya, it was like being in another country.

As with Korat and Udon Thani, the Khon Kaen taxi's were a pleasure to use and looking forward to testing again shortly.

I believe a lot of the Khon Kaen guys who were driving taxis in Bangkok are now working back in Khon Kaen and they have not been slow to use the same tactics here. You may be very lucky to find a driver who will use is meter without you requesting it. If you like the quoted price then Pay. I have noticed that now the tuk tuk drivers have a list of destination prices in the tuk tuk same as Vientiane but they will still be overpriced

Thanks for the recent update, not good, as said above the only problem I've had with taxi's is in Pattaya, where for someone just wanting plain good service will be sadly dissapointed.

Will be back in KK probably during March, so will report back.

• 3 weeks later...