Villagers Burning Garbage, What To Do ?

ManilaLover

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Thailand

This happens all over Thailand even though I believe there is a ban on open burning

They even burn all the trash right off the beach in Koh Si Chiang

Smoke blows straight up into the rooms, the burning right there in plain sight

This is the Thai way and I don't think it will ever stop

Find the local garbage dump (usually uncontrolled, unlined, unmanaged, uncapped . . . disaster waiting to happen) and take it there for them when you take yours or show them where it is.

They will already recycle a lot anyway. The old chap that comes round to take my bottles, cans etc always tries to pay me for it, which I refuse (excuse unintended pun).

Issan especially has a long way to catch up regards waste management. There's uncontrolled tips, unlined, uncapped, unanything really which are mini disasters for the groundwater quality upon which these folks rely. The relatively sudden change in economic circumstances from 3rd World poverty to 1st(ish) World consumerism is causing a future blight on land and groundwater quality, pretty sure of that.

here too

wife pretty upset. chinese neighbors called already the police.

police can't do anything as the place is between two districts so both are not responsible.....

The other thing is that they are shooting there birds all the time and the lead is falling down on our house....

Happens everywhere, no refuse collection what would you do with it?? By my land in the morning you can see all the valleys full of it like early morning mist/fog

Around here it always done about 7 am I never see it at other times, if you look acros the valleys by me its there everyday.

post-66436-1263539356_thumb.jpg

Edited by yabaaaa

Happens everywhere, no refuse collection what would you do with it?? By my land in the morning you can see all the valleys full of it like early morning mist/fog

Around here it always done about 7 am I never see it at other times, if you look acros the valleys by me its there everyday.

Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper!

Lovely photo.

Do the villagers have a garbage collection?

If they do you could always ask them nicely not to burn their garbage.

If not what else can they do with it?

What do you do with yours?

what i do with mine ? my housekeeper puts it in the black bags for the garbage collectors who come twice a week, no need to burn at all but some seem addicted to make little fires behind their house.

i have no illusions making this world better but sometimes i fantasy why not organizing some local environment festival, just to educate them like in afrika there are village festivals to educate the people about why and how using condoms...

Thanks for the new desktop wallpaper!

Lovely photo.

This one is better IMO, sorry our car spoils it :)

post-66436-1263542961_thumb.jpg

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.Just after new year the man was round with his cart and scales...easy and a good service!

You can think of anything in Thailand and it is used and recycled many times to get the most out of it,the Thais are past masters at getting something out of nothing and where materials come into again they are really versatile and creative.

The burning does go on as i have seen it a lot but nothing worse than the illegal tipping that goes on in the west,you will not stop them burning stuff it is ingrained especially in the villages,maybe in the cities there is more of a chance?

I burn my rubbish are atleast I did until today. Just choking on the fumes from wet plastic bags full of somtam etc. I've built sort of an incinerator and we more or less recycle everything except plastic bags. We don't have a refuse collection like some villages.

Can't seem to train the wife that wet plastic doesn't burn. She's very touchy so I can't really approach the subject. I think I'm going to bury the stuff in future.

As for education. I'm sure I've seen a few environmental programs on TV and the Schools do touch on the subject.

I'm quite obsessive about not dropping litter so when I see my children drop litter I go ape sh&t. When I'm around they hand me all the sh*t to put in my pockets :D . When I'm away I can see where they've been playing by the litter Trails :)

I suspect the rubbish collection people just find a suitable location and dump and burn it anyway.

I'm renting another place also which has a Rubbish collection service every week. There's a bin just by the gate. The previous occupants have clearly just ignored it and thrown the rubbish out the window. I'm trying to tidy up but there's several years layers of it. I did attempt to burn it but the neighbours complained. Apparently you can only burn on Thursdays. Just have to hope bio-degradable plastics bags become the norm.

Right, you're obsessive about not dropping litter, but you happily burn piles of plastic every week. ¬_¬

Before I go off to join my japanese friends to harpoon a porpoise or two, for the love of god people, you should only buy dolphin friendly tuna.

Right, you're obsessive about not dropping litter, but you happily burn piles of plastic every week. ¬_¬

Before I go off to join my japanese friends to harpoon a porpoise or two, for the love of god people, you should only buy dolphin friendly tuna.

:) Tuna friendly Dolphin!

My wife burns the rubbish every evening because there is no garbage collection where we live. I close the all windows, works for me.

What a pity that you don't have a car because then you could bring it away once a week, that burning is a very bad habit !!!

He had a car, but his wife burnt it.

i have no illusions making this world better but sometimes i fantasy why not organizing some local environment festival, just to educate them like in afrika there are village festivals to educate the people about why and how using condoms...

Yeah, and have the locals burning piles of used condoms outside their houses every morning.

To the OP, have you asked them if it is really necessary to burn it? Or even if they could arrange to do it at a set time once a week or so, and you could arrange to be elsewhere at the time? How would you deal with it in your home country?

Good suggestion, Ballpoint. Always better, particularly in Thailand, to be reasonable and rational when you want action in these matters.

I still maintain you should use the avatar where he actually gets hit in the head ! Seeing it is like having a very satisfying dream.....

My wife burns the rubbish every evening because there is no garbage collection where we live. I close the all windows, works for me.

What a pity that you don't have a car because then you could bring it away once a week, that burning is a very bad habit !!!

If garbage collection was a regular thing i dont think thais would burn.On Samui there is a kind of garbage collection but not regular or big enough for the volumne of trash.I have seen thais put out their rubbish in black plastic bags ready for collection,so it can work,just have to syphon off tea money to pay for it :)

I think I said I now Bury it now :) . There's not piles of it, because most rubbish is recycled . What happens to your plastic bags Matan ? Carted off by the local rubbish collection person I bet. to be burn't on someone elses patch. or do you insist on paper or hemp bags.

Don't think plastic bags are very Dolphin friendly either seeing as we're talkin about Dolphins now.

Don't think plastic bags are very Dolphin friendly either seeing as we're talkin about Dolphins now.

No, everyone knows you can't get a dolphin home in a plastic bag, they stretch too much. A bag made of nylon netting is much better, or have the guy at the market cut the dolphin up into manageable pieces.

No, everyone knows you can't get a dolphin home in a plastic bag, they stretch too much. A bag made of nylon netting is much better, or have the guy at the market cut the dolphin up into manageable pieces.

Yeah ! .. But !.. No ! ... But ! :)

Sometimes i actually think Thailand is better organized than the west,recycleable stuff like cardboard tins and bottles are collected by people who earn there entire living from it,and you are also given money for them to take it away! this does not happen in the west.Just after new year the man was round with his cart and scales...easy and a good service!

You can think of anything in Thailand and it is used and recycled many times to get the most out of it,the Thais are past masters at getting something out of nothing and where materials come into again they are really versatile and creative.

The burning does go on as i have seen it a lot but nothing worse than the illegal tipping that goes on in the west,you will not stop them burning stuff it is ingrained especially in the villages,maybe in the cities there is more of a chance?

Good summary. Just wish the likes of 7-11 would wind their neck in with 'everything must have a plastic bag and every drink a straw' total nonsense. Same goes for Tesco and similar.

To the OP, have you asked them if it is really necessary to burn it? Or even if they could arrange to do it at a set time once a week or so, and you could arrange to be elsewhere at the time? How would you deal with it in your home country?

In my homecountry people are not so stupid, and police will come after being tipped by a neighbour and give you a 350 euro fine.

Can't seem to train the wife that wet plastic doesn't burn. She's very touchy so I can't really approach the subject. I think I'm going to bury the stuff in future.

looks like you are the perfect couple :D

dirty people.

Thanks for the Insult. :D 59 posts . I wonder if you'll make 100 :)

Edited by jubby