Visa extension for arrival stamps

Hi.  My first post in this forum.  I'm American, 50 years old.  I arrived in Bangkok with a 30 day visa stamp that expires on 10 November.  I'm currently taking a class that ends on 12 November, and have an airline ticket departing to Phnom Penh on 12 November.

I have sufficient income for a retirement visa, but my USA employer won't deposit my retirement pay in an overseas bank, and I prefer not to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

For my short term situation, can I be granted a ten day extension on my current visa stamp?  The information I found in the following link indicates I cannot, though I am not sure it applies to my current situation:

"7. Applying for an extension for aliens who receive a visa upon arrival while in transit, including those who are exceptions to normal visa procedures, i.e. airline personnel

The above mentioned aliens do not normally receive visa extension except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. Such persons in his category wishing to submit an application may do so at section 5 (other types of extension), Sub-division 2, Immigration Division 1, Room 205-6, 2nd Floor Old Building, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 Ext. 2264-5."

Would appreciate any information and suggestions regarding a visa extension for my immediate need, or obtaining a retirement visa with the limitation that my employer won't deposit payments in an overseas bank.

Thanks

Hi.  My first post in this forum.  I'm American, 50 years old.  I arrived in Bangkok with a 30 day visa stamp that expires on 10 November.  I'm currently taking a class that ends on 12 November, and have an airline ticket departing to Phnom Penh on 12 November.

I have sufficient income for a retirement visa, but my USA employer won't deposit my retirement pay in an overseas bank, and I prefer not to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank.

For my short term situation, can I be granted a ten day extension on my current visa stamp?  The information I found in the following link indicates I cannot, though I am not sure it applies to my current situation:

"7. Applying for an extension for aliens who receive a visa upon arrival while in transit, including those who are exceptions to normal visa procedures, i.e. airline personnel

The above mentioned aliens do not normally receive visa extension except in special cases such as illness which prevents them from travelling, etc. Such persons in his category wishing to submit an application may do so at section 5 (other types of extension), Sub-division 2, Immigration Division 1, Room 205-6, 2nd Floor Old Building, Immigration Bureau, Soi Suan Plu, South Sathorn Road, Sathorn District, Bangkok 10120. Tel. 287-3127 or 287-3101-10 Ext. 2264-5."

Would appreciate any information and suggestions regarding a visa extension for my immediate need, or obtaining a retirement visa with the limitation that my employer won't deposit payments in an overseas bank.

Thanks

You will get a 10 day extension at any immigration office, 1900 baht.

As said, no problem getting a 10 day extension.  As for retirement you would not want to direct deposit into a Thai bank in any case.  If you want a retirement (long stay) visa you should open a savings account at a bank here in Thailand and then wire transfer enough for your visa.  You can use a combination of monthly income/bank deposit so if you transfer 400k to the bank here you should be able to obtain a visa with certification by the US Embassy that in addition to this you receive more than about 32,500 baht retirement income per month.  You do not have to transfer this each month.  When you need more funds do a wire transfer from your savings, every quarter or whatever.

As said, no problem getting a 10 day extension.  As for retirement you would not want to direct deposit into a Thai bank in any case.  If you want a retirement (long stay) visa you should open a savings account at a bank here in Thailand and then wire transfer enough for your visa.  You can use a combination of monthly income/bank deposit so if you transfer 400k to the bank here you should be able to obtain a visa with certification by the US Embassy that in addition to this you receive more than about 32,500 baht retirement income per month.  You do not have to transfer this each month.  When you need more funds do a wire transfer from your savings, every quarter or whatever.

Thanks Begs and Lopburi for the replies.  I went to Soi Suan Plhu yesterday, and as you stated, it was very routine getting the 10 day extension, though the 1900 baht cost hurts.  But this beats doing a visa run as I am leaving the country anyway 2 days after the original visa stamp expired.

Regarding the retirement visa, I have had some expats tell me that the bank savings and/or monthly pension requirements have to be directly deposited in a Thai bank is firm; In other words, just certifying that your monthly retirement income exceeds 80,000 baht monthly is not sufficient if that money is not directly deposited in a Thai bank account.  

Any other views on this will be appreciated.

However, I'll take your advice and seek a certification by the US Embassy regarding my regarding my retirment income, which exceeds the minimum amount needed even without the bank deposit requirements.  

I would prefer minimizing wire transfers from the states as my bank charges $35 to $70 per transfer overseas.

Regarding the retirement visa, I have had some expats tell me that the bank savings and/or monthly pension requirements have to be directly deposited in a Thai bank is firm

Believe what they should be saying is that there is a requirement for 'some' money in a Thai bank account in addition to a certification of income if you don't want to keep the full 800k in an account here.  So, yes, you will have to show some money in the bank.  There is no requirement to make monthly transfers or that you remit entire stated income.  Take a walk back to room (believe 201) on the right side of immigration and check with them if you have a chance.  They should be able to let you know what they expect (it can vary from time to time).