Some Photos -

buadhai

Thanks!

I'm enjoying myself. Staying busy, learning a lot, having fun.

Life is so much more convenient here than it was in Saipan. Lots to do. Easy to get stuff you need. Decent newspapers. Good food. Better drivers. More entertainment.

I do miss the beach a bit and it is hotter here at this time of year. And, it is harder to find a place to live than I thought. But, we're in decent temporary quarters and, now, in no hurry to move on.

And, I'm looking forward to getting out and about a bit once we finish doing a few things with the house.

Naturally, the beach beckons....

:o

I agree , Nice pictures .

The beach is not all that much fun . There is sand and water and it gets all over you , who needs it ? :o

Try going to the big lake on the way to korat , I cant remember its name . Bring the fishing pole and a sixpack of large Chang . I assure you , you will forget all about the beach .

I agree , Nice pictures .

The beach is not all that much fun . There is sand and water and it gets all over you , who needs it ?  :o

Try going to the big lake on the way to korat , I cant remember its name . Bring the fishing pole and a sixpack of large Chang . I assure you  , you will forget all about the beach .

Lam Taklong. It is a nice place. But, you should see it now -- the reservoir is almost empty. It's very sad. Had a family picnic there last October and it was full and there was a nice breeze.

Decent newspapers. Good food. Better drivers. More entertainment.

Great pics Mike, but I'm getting nightmare images about drivers on Saipan! :o

cv

The problem with Saipan drivers is that there are so many nationalities on the island and therefore so many different driving "cultures" observing different customs and rules of the road. There are Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Thai, North Americans, locals, etc. They all have different ideas as to how to drive, so you're constantly surprised.

Another problem is that many of Saipan's drivers came from situations which did not afford them the opportunity to enjoy transportation via automobile. I suspect that many drivers never even rode in a car until they purchased a license on Saipan and started driving one.

Then there's the problem of licenses for sale....

Compared to Saipan, Korat is driving heaven! Sure there are some horrible drivers here, but by now I pretty much know what to expect: the motorcyclist who thinks it's OK to hog an entire lane, the pickup truck full of rural folk who think that 20 kph is pretty darn fast for city driving, the samlor driver who suddenly decides, without notice, to cut across six lanes of traffic, etc., etc.

Good pix Mike, I bet you love that squat dunny :o

Any details on the house? Bedrooms and rent?

cheers

I don't mind the squat, it's the getting back up that's tough!

The house is owned by my girlfriend's parents. We're just staying in one room for a while. It's in a moo baan in tambon baan mai, about 10 K west of central Korat. I think the house is about ten years old. It's in fair shape. We have upgraded the electrical panel; adding a Safe-T-Cut and grounding for several new circuits. We also put in a phone line, ADSL, a small LAN, including a wireless access point. UBC is coming next week.

We had hoped to get a place of our own, but now I think we'll stay here for a while and take out time looking for a place to rent, buy, or even build.

Frankly, it's a pretty easy and pleasant life and I'm throughly enjoying myself.

The problem with Saipan drivers is that there are so many nationalities on the island and therefore so many different driving "cultures" observing different customs and rules of the road. There are Koreans, Chinese, Filipinos, Japanese, Thai, North Americans, locals, etc. They all have different ideas as to how to drive, so you're constantly surprised.

It does not sound any different than driving in the states :o

• 4 weeks later...

I guess you may know Doug Rankin and Mike Malone on Saipan. The thing I remember about driving on Saipan is seeing the drivier's door in front of you open up and the person leaning out to let loose a mouth full of betal nut juice.

I knew Doug when he and his wife lived in a tree house.

I lived on Saipan for 26 years. My GF worked at the Pacific Islands Club there for about 3 years, hence the T-shirts.

I know the Rankins well. I'm not sure about Doug's health. He had horrible skin cancer from his outdoor unprotected lifestyle. Last I heard he was off to Hawaii for treatment.

Mike Malone is still around and still working for the legislature.

And, you're right about the betel nut juice spitting. That is one big thing I don't miss about Saipan....