4 Year Old Dual Citizen Entered On An American Paasport

My daughter a (now) 4 year old dual citizen entered on an American passport when she was 1 and did not yet have a Thai passport.

We will be going on vacation to Europe for 2 weeks this year.

Dual citizen mother and an American father living in Bangkok.

We plan on exiting Thailand with mom and daughter's Thai passports and using the American passport when landing in Paris and the reverse when returning to Thailand.

My question is do we need to clear up the daughter's American passport now or ever for Thailand? She has an arrival/departure card from when she was 1 and an expired visa. Note she has not left Thailand since she arrived.

Your daughter should leave the country using the US passport on which she entered to 'clear' her arrival record. She is on overstay, but is no big deal as children under 15 are not fined for overstay. TM6 departure card will be removed and a small overstay stamp will be put in her passport, but has no real consequences for her.

On return to Thailand using Thai passport for entry there may be a query at immigration as to why she does not have TM6 arrivals card stapled in passport (ie, how did she depart Thailand). Explain to them she was born abroad and has dual nationality and show them the US passport. If necessary, do not be afraid to politely ask the immigration officer to call over the supervisor who will take care of matters. Is not a problem, but sometimes immigration officers have not seen before.

I assume your wife entered Thailand using her Thai passport (or will be on overstay).

Good post.

You cannot exit Thailand on a Thai passport to Europe (or anywhere) if a visa is needed to enter that country as the Airline will want to see the visa.

I think the above post is correct in that you need to exit by the US passport and then enter on the Thai if necessary.

You cannot exit Thailand on a Thai passport to Europe (or anywhere) if a visa is needed to enter that country as the Airline will want to see the visa.

No, you show the airline the passport you will use to enter your destination.

present both passports and the airline(s) will gladly help you determine the proper procedure. they may even call immigrations for support.

Your daughter should leave the country using the US passport on which she entered to 'clear' her arrival record. She is on overstay, but is no big deal as children under 15 are not fined for overstay. TM6 departure card will be removed and a small overstay stamp will be put in her passport, but has no real consequences for her.

On return to Thailand using Thai passport for entry there may be a query at immigration as to why she does not have TM6 arrivals card stapled in passport (ie, how did she depart Thailand). Explain to them she was born abroad and has dual nationality and show them the US passport. If necessary, do not be afraid to politely ask the immigration officer to call over the supervisor who will take care of matters. Is not a problem, but sometimes immigration officers have not seen before.

I assume your wife entered Thailand using her Thai passport (or will be on overstay).

Thaiphoon,

I like the idea of clearing my daughter's passport! A very good suggestion - thank you sir.

I am good at speaking softly and clearly so I will be able to handle confusion.

Yes, my wife entered Thailand on her Thai passport although she has recently gotten a new Thai passport which by the way is easy to get, but unlike America you have to go down to an office to get it. My last passport or two in America was gotten through the mail - very easy...

Thanks all - I think that it will be smooth sailing.

Now if anyone has advice on keeping 2 and 4 year-olds occupied on 12 hour flights please speak up - smiling!

Note, a buddy with small kids who travels has advised investing in a portable DVD player. I shall but my kids are quite wild and will likely drop the player or lose it...