Italian Tourist Killed, German Severely Injured In Pattaya Road Accident

webfact

Italian tourist killed, German severely injured in Pattaya road accident

Pattaya, Chon Buri - A German tourist described as being drunk clashed his motorcycle against that of an Italian tourist who was killed here early Sunday morning.

Police said Davide Tomast, 29, died of head injuries in the accident that happened on a soi off South Pattaya Road at 5:30 am.

Raimund Norbert, 38, was severely injured and rushed to the Pattaya Memorial Hospital.

Police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Tomast was riding his motorcycle out of the soi when Norbert, who appeared drunk, rode into the side with very fast speed and clashed into Tomast's motorcycle.

Police will take Norbert into custody once he is discharged from the hospital.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-17

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

What surprises me is that the person driving out of a soi without showing care or caution by checking for traffic , is not considered the driver at fault , regardless of the actions or state of health by the driver with right of way , he still has precedence .

Condolences for all concerned in this unfortunate event .

helmets were not mentioned - were they wearing them?

"Police quoted eyewitnesses as saying that Tomast was riding his motorcycle out of the soi when Norbert, who appeared drunk, rode into the side with very fast speed and clashed into Tomast's motorcycle."

This is a very sad event however it would be nicer if the reporter could write the report in English rather than Tinglish.

An Italian National died at the scene of a collision involving two motorbikes at 5.30am, in Soi Kor Pai, Pattaya.

Pattaya, 17th January 2010 [PDN] Pattaya Police Lieutenant Colonel Rerngwit Rakchat and his team, along with the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Service, was dispatched to the scene of an accident in Soi Kor Pai South Pattaya, Moo.10 Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi after receiving a report of a collision involving two motorbikes which resulted in one fatality.

www.pattayadailynews.com

2010-01-17

I am not sure how the law works in Thailand, but generally when you are legally drunk, then you are almost always consider to be at fault. Alcohol is considered a significant contributing factor to nearly all accidents.

What surprises me is that the person driving out of a soi without showing care or caution by checking for traffic , is not considered the driver at fault , regardless of the actions or state of health by the driver with right of way , he still has precedence .

In Thai courts you give up your right of way when drunk.

helmets were not mentioned - were they wearing them?

Does that automatically mean that the guy who passed away was innocent? My condolences to his family, a blood check will show the truth. Coming out of a Soi indicates that he didn’t see the ‘speeding’ German? Memorial isn’t really cool to wait for the cops……

An Italian National died at the scene of a collision involving two motorbikes at 5.30am, in Soi Kor Pai, Pattaya.

Pattaya, 17th January 2010 [PDN] Pattaya Police Lieutenant Colonel Rerngwit Rakchat and his team, along with the Sawang Boriboon Rescue Service, was dispatched to the scene of an accident in Soi Kor Pai South Pattaya, Moo.10 Nongprue, Banglamung, Chonburi after receiving a report of a collision involving two motorbikes which resulted in one fatality.

www.pattayadailynews.com

2010-01-17

Direct link with report and photos:

http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2010/01...ity-in-pattaya/

Very sad fate,RIP.

It makes me angry btw,did that guy think that speeding on the motorbike while drunk is cool?

Of course he thinks that it is cool. He should be tried for murder when he is discharged from the hospital. His defective genes should be removed from the pool through execution or permanent life-time residence in the Bangkok Hilton.

After reading the report it looks like that the German crashed total on the wrong side of street in Mr. Tomasts Scooter. Mr. Raimund was very drunken while he was overtaking another Scooter.

Sad for the family of Mr. Tomast.

Hope that Mr. Raimund get 10 years for thinking about and never again a driverlicense...

Looking at the pictures, It would appear the deceased was not wearing a helmet (or possibly it was not correctly strapped on and came off during the collision). What i think is clear is that if he had been wearing a good helmet he would not have sustained what appear to be massive head injuries.

My condolonces to his family.

Did I miss something? Where in the report did it say he was driving out of the soi "without showing care or caution" by checking for traffic? How could one possibly draw a conclusion from the posted article as to who was at fault? The poor man is dead and who is to say that the drunk driver who was probably driving recklessly was not at fault. I would think that before drawing any conclusion as to who is a fault it might be nice for the police to investigate (as best they can) and read the report. As said before in most places the intoxicated person is presumed to be at fault as judgement in driving a motor vehicle/motorcycle is impaired.

Just another example here on TV of people jumping to conclusions without the facts.

Once in the UK I was coming out of a side road, looking right for oncoming traffic then was hit by an ambulance coming the wrong way down the main road "responding to an emergency" they said so that I didn't have a leg to stand on.

This being Thailand do we actually know whether the German was driving on the left hand side of the road or not?

Mr. Raimund was in a heavily drunken state. The police filed the information received from eye witnesses before sending Mr Davide Tomast to Banglamung for autopsy.

According to witnesses, Mr Raimund was riding his bike along the street at high speed and was swerving from side to side and over taking a motorbike in front of him.

He swerved his bike across the road, colliding with Mr Davide Tomast’s bike as he approached from the other direction. The German hit Mr. Tomast’s bike with full impact throwing Mr. Thomast from his bike, killing him instantly.

Until further investigations, police are presuming Mr. Ramund was responsible for the accident due to drink driving.

From the link above.

Sounds more like a semi-head-on collision.

There have been many times when I look both ways, start to cross, and a speeding vehicle is instantly in front of me. If you speed, you have to accept the consequences....especially if you are on a scooter!

Condolences to both families.....very sad.

After reading the article, that German should never get out of jail...I hope he gets sent away....

Edited by craigt3365

My condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Please advise me if this is incorrect but ------ I have been informed that in the case of a fatal (or likely to be fatal) motor accident .... the surviving driver is automatically arrested. Nothing to do with any presumption of culpability.Bail must be posted (usually 200,000Bt.) This is the reason that good comprehensive car insurance includes a "bail bond" component.

My condolences to the family members.

RIP....slammed down by a drunken idiot, what a sad story. But many farangs just do things here, they would never do at home. I know many friends who drive their motosai in a questionable state. Why the hel_l?

Another interesting part of the story is, that the Italian was arrested because of Class 1 drugs in June 2009. How comes that he is not in jail or, how comes that he could enter Thailand again? That does not concern his tragic death, but...

Looking at the pictures, It would appear the deceased was not wearing a helmet (or possibly it was not correctly strapped on and came off during the collision). What i think is clear is that if he had been wearing a good helmet he would not have sustained what appear to be massive head injuries.

My condolonces to his family.

I dont think a thai helmet would have made any difference you get much for B500 :) always the idiots weaving in and out at speed you just know they wont last long its the poor sod they hit..Condolances to his family a young life lost in his prime