New Passport-old US Visa

Hello,

My wife received a ten year tourist visa to the US about a year and a half ago. She now needs to update her Thai passport. How will this affect her 10 year US tourist visa? Can it be transferred to her new passport? Does she have to re-apply for a visa once she gets her new passport?

Thanks to all in advance for any information you might have.

I got a H1B visa (work permit) for the USA in October 2006, but got a new UK passport in early 2007.  I made sure that I stated on my new application that I needed the US visa page intact and not defaced in any way.

Each time I went back to the US I would travel using my new passport, but show that and the old one with the visa at US immigration.  Sometimes I would have to show the US visa at checkin on a US bound flight.

In short -

1. Keep the old passport containing the visa

2. Ensure the visa page is not defaced in any way when you apply for the new passport

3. Carry both passports when travelling via the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the information. My wife has a ten year US visa and six months left on her passport. When does it become a problem to travel to the US? Her passport expires in October. It seems she could use her passport for a two week trip in April. I would think it would only be a problem if she arrived with less time on her passport than on her visa stay.

Edited by SaamBaht

Your 2nd question. I would recommend renewing the passport BEFORE going to the US. Although technically she may have 6 months left at time of arrival and the limitation for the US and most other countries is "at least 6 months validity", the odds are that she will get a prat Immigration person on arrival who may consider 6 and-a-bit months as too close and start asking needless questions and giving your dear wife a headf*ck after +12 hours of flying. Since the Thai passport renewal is quick and cheap, no reason not to eh?

And following on with that, just make sure that the expiring passport is returned and the US visa page is not defaced and she can use that visa in conjunction with the new passport until the visa's eventual expiration. My wife's expired Thai passport was returned intact (no corners cut off like some places do) and only 'Canceled' stamped on the picture and info page.