Thailand To Dispatch Rice For Haitian Earthquake Victims

webfact

Just to update, the Thai media this morning reports that the private businesses in Thailand now have the total of $400,000 to give. Phone operators will start opening SMS donation for the general public to donate soon.

What about the government? Aren't they going to do anything at all?

Well, as has been said in this thread, the Thai government did donate $20.000 USD which is $0.0003 per capita. Or 1/100th of a baht per person.

The USA government donated $100,000,000 USD which is $0.35 per capita. Or about 11 baht per person.

The USA donated 1,100 times more per capita. My USA salary was only 10 times more than my Thai salary (which is the same as my Thai colleagues).

Yeah, I'd say Thailand has a ways to go......

Edited by toptuan

Chavanond Intarakomalyasut, secretary to the foreign minister, said ...

"We have to wait for the damage assessment from the United Nations and then consider sending what the country really needs."

If he's lucky, it'll help stall additional government donations for a few months until the crisis is out of the headlines.

Then the whole subject can quietly disappear.

Typical bureaucratic stalling....

Edited by toptuan

So the thai govt. are going to meet in a couple of days to discuss how much rice to send?what is their problem?Have they not heard of the word NOW,not tomorrow or the next day.Thailand is not a poor country,they have plenty of cash they could send now,just empty all the police pockets for one days tea money,or if thats too difficult ask the PM to sign a promisory note for a face saving amount,but do it now.I guess the barn door has been closed after the horse has bolted in regard to 'FACE SAVING'...............there would be many a farang living here,rich thai too who could have pulled out 20,000 dollars cash to give,the only difference, it might have been a big sizeable portion of their overall wealth,but for thailand as a country,that 20,000 is as big as a grain of sand.

Yes other countries are increasing their initial donations. For example, the U.K. Regarding the comment that so much of the money sent to Thailand for tsunami aid was corruptly stolen, that is true. But it wasn't ALL stolen and a certain amount of corruption is always going to happen in any human effort; that doesn't mean people should stop trying.

There are big differences between Thailand and Haiti. While it is true that Haiti's government is also corrupt, what limited government that did exist there was almost completely wiped out by the quake. Even before the quake most government services were run by foreign NGO's anyway. So the situations are very different. The news is saying that RIGHT NOW basic supplies are short (food, water, medical supplies) and people are dying because of that. I have no idea how much of the problem is lack of cash in accounts to PAY for supplies or the difficult logistics of getting the right supplies to the right people on time. Probably both as MILLIONS of Haitians have been effected by the quake. In any case, they are still calling for initial phase donations. I think there is a difference between this initial phase which is a pure humanitarian saving lives thing with the longer term effort to rebuild Haiti. Well, they are still in the emergency phase anyway and will be for some time.

Edited by Jingthing

I'd be more apt to donate if I saw victims trying to help themselves rather than ape for the cameras "demanding" foreign aid. This whole idea of foreign obligation is PC-construed nonsense.

Perhaps the sight of helpless, orphaned children could melt your frozen heart? :) Stay tuned.

Channel 3 News just reported.

In the bank account they opened for anyone who wanted to donate now they have about 30,000,000 baht. Not so bad for the public/private effort. The sad bit is the stingy government. Newin should start giving at least some.... after taking away so much.

Just to add something positive. For the Haitians that survive this, this will be a new beginning. The major city of their country will need to be almost completely rebuilt. It is a chance to rebuild it much better with the international attention that may just help them do it. Historians often say that the great 1906 San Francisco earthquake that totally destroyed the city was the best thing that ever happened to the city (the city, not the victims, of course).

Sadly, perhaps a decade or even several years ago this would ring true. But with world economics as they are finding the resources to rebuild an entire city of millions seems an impossible dream.

The earthquake in San Francisco does not really correlate. San Franciso was an extremely important port city to a vibrant growing huge geographical area and economy. After the quake the city floated a bond issue which funded the re-building. Haiti lacks the economic might to float much, if any bonds as their GNP is too small.

Yes, the rebuilding of San Francisco had many good aspects. Housing stopped being built on unstable ground, building codes were enacted. But it is one thing to feed the 1.5 million survivors, but to rebuild the entire city of Port-au-Prince? How nice that would be, but its posibility stetches my imagination. It would require the concerted and major efforts and donations of every large country. One can only hope that such aid is forthcoming.

So many countries are hurting and America is among them. Officially 10% of the workforce are unemployed but since this ignores those who have run out of "benefits," or who now work part-time only, the actual rate is close to 17%. Home forclosures in the 3rd Qtr, 2009 were 937,840. That means that at least seven houses are foreclosed every single minute, around the clock, 10,420 are repossesed every single day.

I recommend that if you want to donate do it through the Salvation Army (salvationarmyusa.org). Why? Because the Salvation Army has been active helping the needy in Haiti since 1950 and I once looked at the % of donations that actually went to those in need and they topped the list in percentage of donation that actually went to those in need. Consider that in 2008 the CEO of the American Red Cross earned $565,000! That's 18.5 million Thai baht each year! I'd bet that the CEO of the Salvation Army earns less than 1% of that.

Mr. Thepthai explained that the donation of US$20,000 in relief aid was only initial assistance.
You can't run away from the fact that 20K USD is an inadequate response from the government of Thailand for the most critical phase of the life saving operation

Have any other countries upped their pledged assistance since their initial offers? The world's second largest economy, Japan, gave a, relatively speaking, puny amount initially.

Japan is probably one of the the wealthy nation's worst performers when it comes to international aid. Aid is always tied to Japanese special interests. Vote for Japan's continued devastation of the endangered whale population and you qualify for aid. Agree to purchase Japanese products and you qualify for Japanese foreign aid.

Despite all the bashing the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Netherlands, Denmark and a few other "wealthy" countries do not tie aid to extortionist political demands. It is unfair to expect some countries to "up" their assistance when they are already providing most of the current foreign aid. I find it curious that Israel was able to get a fully equipped medical & rescue team into the country, but Pakistan which has benefited from the world's generosity following its own quake couldn't care less. Same holds for Iran and it's league of middle eastern thugs. Where is Mr. Ghaddaffi?

How is it the Spaniards were able to respond in a digniified and caring manner, but the Chinese blocked the airport yeaterday with a cargo plane for over an hour while they did a photo op to play for the Chinese audience back home? Apparently the US 82nd airborne had to hold back some of Canadian and US aid workers who wanted to ram the Chinese plane off the tarmac. International politics make for some revealing insight.

Cabinet Approves Bt30 Min Assistance for Haiti Quake Victims

UPDATE : 19 January 2010

The Cabinet has approved a budget of 30 million baht to help the quake victims in Haiti. The aides will include 20,000 tonnes of rice and Thai emergency medical teams.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2010-01-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Cabinet approves Bt30 million donation for Haiti

The Cabinet Tuesday approved Bt30 million for providing humanitarian aid to quake-hit Haiti, Deputy Government Spokesman Watchara Kannikar said.

He said the government will also organise public donations to help the country. The centre for gatheirng the public donations will be located at the Government House and the donations will be solicited for 15 days, starting from Wednesday.

The government will also donate 20,000 tonnes of rice to the country.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-01-19

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]