3g Internet Or Equivelant In Pty

Artey

Moving to pattaya for 1-3 months next month, and i need good fast reliable internet.

I've been using CAT cmda in Chiangmai, and AIS 3G in Bang Saen, however neither of these will work at faster then EDGE/GPRS speeds in pattaya.

I know every apartment has their own internet, but my experice with these is it's always too congested and pretty slow.

I've seen lots of hotspots around in pattaya where u can call the number and sign up with them, but again most of these r usually pretty crappy too.

Someone mentioned that 3BB (TT&T) r offering some kind of internet without having to need a phone line (through their own hotspots possibly), but this doesnt sound accurate at all.

Anyone have any idea's?

P.S. i was looking at staying in either Naklua or Pattaya Tai area, but nothing decided, all depends on what internet i can get.

you can get gprs cards from tukcom, 3-4 different providers, you can also pick up another type of card from the 3 store or whatever it's called about 30 meters from tukcom. 1kthb a month unlimited data.

don't know about the speeds though. gprs is slow as expected, but i'm unsure if there's 3G access anywhere.

might be worth looking into the True network, they are installing 8mbit (i think) wireless towers around the place. cant find a website on it for you atm - but its there somewhere, i've seen it before.

3bb is adsl - across a phone line - you just dont need a phone number. (trust me on this, i have it). 2 weeks to get installed + 12 month contract. so dont bother for a 3 month stay.

there's plenty of wifi hot spots around, if i was you i'd drive around with my laptop open trying to find one with good speeds then find a room near it.

pick yourself up a cantenna (not an antenna) for a better signal, antennas are more for sending, cantenna's do better on the receiving end of a signal

http://www.cantenna.com/

don't know if you can buy them locally, but if your moving in a month, you have time to wait on the postage (usually about 2 weeks from the US). they aren't expensive.

3G will probably take another long time until it is officially deployed in Thailand. So far the Politicians seem to not have yet sorted out how to spread all the tea money that they will demand and collect from the companies between them.

check with today's newspapers...it has come to the point that I can only laugh about this poor attempt of providing state of the art technology.

True Move doesn't have 3G in Pattaya and it's tough to pick up edge. AIS for edge is reliable. For the fastest wireless in the Pattaya area I think it's Hutch. The office is 20 meters (north?) of Tukcom. Works decent in Pattaya and Jomtien in my opinion. I can skype and it's just OK. The Hutch unit is 3G comparable and I think they'll be using TOTs 3G when it comes out in 2015 (the date was a joke). And if you're on a tourist visa you have to buy 1 year at a time.

Edited by TheTraveler