Manchester(uk) Flights To Bangkok, Cheapest And Quickest?

coolhandjoe

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to book my flights for Late July depart and late August return, this is Thailands low season.

However, im getting ridiculous prices and journey times.

I have four kids age 1,4,5 & 12 + wife so 6 tickets in all.

Any help,sensible suggestions,recommendations and advice appreciated.

thanks

I paid 480 gbp return in July 2009, LHR-BKK direct via EVA, so it is feasible to get a reasonable price if you monitor things regularly. I didn't book that until late Feb or March iirc. Yes, school hols are on in the UK at that time so may be harder but tbh there weren't stacks of kids on the flights I took.

Bear in mind prices are likely to be bit higher this year due to new aviation taxes courtesy of Gordon Brown...

from the beginning of july to mid of september is a hight season in avation industry, because of the summer holidays (not only kids, but students and large part of the workforce take their yearly holidays in the summer).

last year jet airways were cheap from London, but you had to change at mumbay (just 1k layover).

till end of june thai airways from London have a promotional fare 510gbp, kids cheaper

I have 2 young children and wanted flights to Glasgow for March/April, Qatar, Eithad and Emirates were asking crazy money so I booked Jet Airways to London then BMI up to Glasgow. Total fare 108,000 baht compared to 168,000 that Emirates wanted to Glasgow.....

Just got back from SEA, we flew Air Asia from Stansted to KL for £286 each, less than £900 for three people. That was from 14th Dec to 14th of Jan, it took me a while to get that price, a lot of jigging with dates but, it was worth it.

The only problem we ran into was we didn't know about the 15 day overland visa so, had to get out sharpish after new year but, we just flew Bali so, all was well..... :D You, if you found a good price could just have a night in KL then fly to Bkk and get a month visa cos you flew in. (unless of course you sort visa's before you go) :)

redrus

MAN - BKK:

Qatar Airways is consistently the best on price. You will find a flight for sub 500 pounds if you search hard even at peak times. Journey time 16 hours including a change in Doha. High quality service.

I have explored all options for this route and unless you catch one of the other airlines offering some amazing special offer (Etihad, KLM, Turkish, Malaysian, Air France, Emirates and some others), I would stick to Qatar. The Airasia route to KL from Stansted involves extra hassle and I have never managed to secure the prices that redrus obtained despite plenty of effort.

^

Fair comment loseless, if I had not got those prices I would not have travelled with them, I live in North Yorkshire now and, got a lift south with family. Having said that, for £250 base price, I couldn't turn it down....!

redrus

Birmingham (UK) is usually about £100 cheaper than Manchester, I have flown from there the last three years with United Arab Emirates. The flyt usually is 6/7 hours to Dubai then same again to Bangkok with a one hour wait between fly ts

Edited by Thongkorn

I paid 480 gbp return in July 2009, LHR-BKK direct via EVA, so it is feasible to get a reasonable price if you monitor things regularly. I didn't book that until late Feb or March iirc. Yes, school hols are on in the UK at that time so may be harder but tbh there weren't stacks of kids on the flights I took.

Bear in mind prices are likely to be bit higher this year due to new aviation taxes courtesy of Gordon Brown...

Ouch! In 6 years of average 2 trips a year my target (and obtained!) price has been £300 - £380 low season & £480 tops high season. Has occasionally necessitated flying from London rather than the prefered Manchester. Rarely book more than 10 days to a month at most before departure.

Looks like i'm gonna have to dig a bit deeper this year. :)

Edited by Lancashirelad

I've often wondered about possible ways to avoid UK flight taxes, VAT etc.

I have just seen an online price for Manchester to Bangkok. It was £186 ! The only trouble was taxes were an additiona £282, total £468.

The UK government are incredibly greedy.

I was wondering, could we avoid UK taxes by flying from Ireland, France, Belgium or else ?

From the UK, we pay more and more depending on how far we are flying. So perhaps we need a short flight to one of the aforementioned,

and from that point take the long haul I suppose foreign taxmen are just as greedy, but maybe we could claim back the taxes as e are not residents

of those countries.

Has anyone tried this? Maybe you have other ideas. I would enjoy reading them.

I've often wondered about possible ways to avoid UK flight taxes, VAT etc.

I have just seen an online price for Manchester to Bangkok. It was £186 ! The only trouble was taxes were an additiona £282, total £468.

The UK government are incredibly greedy.

That is an absolute disgrace and there's nothing the public can really do about it.

on average tax london to bkk is 200gbp - the cheapest fare itself, the higher tax. It inludes a substantial fuel surcharge, airport taxes. Avialion fuel is not taxed, unlike for cars, so this way some money goes to the government for an environment.

the public has a choice to fly with the cheapest or the most expensive (in that case pay a lot for a fare, but a little tax) or not to fly. Prices are similar accross airlines, the worst ones charging similar to the best ones, only demand makes high season fares

LHR and amsterdam are the cheapest airports in europe, because they are the biggest and the fiercest competition.

You find Amsterdam is cheap? I don't think so. For flights to China maybe, but on the Bangkok route all the airlines keep prices up 80-100 pounds above London which has a lot more competition in the passenger market.

I found Frankfurt has good deals sometimes, Munich also, London is the best.

Anybody here use www.cheapflights.co.uk

It's a travel agent aggregator site, but I still haven't figured which travel agent offers the best deals

Ouch! In 6 years of average 2 trips a year my target (and obtained!) price has been £300 - £380 low season & £480 tops high season. Has occasionally necessitated flying from London rather than the prefered Manchester. Rarely book more than 10 days to a month at most before departure.

Looks like i'm gonna have to dig a bit deeper this year. :)

Airlines have cut flights and therefore less seats to sell means higher prices-unfortunately.