Farang Wives & Extending O Visa

I was wondering about anyone’s experience(s) with immigration in relation to applying to extend an O visa based on marriage to a Thai national.

I married my husband in October 2004. He lives in Isaan, I am back in Canada working (ah, money, a necessary evil). We are currently building a home (with shop, not sure, but for food likely) in Nakhon Ratchasima province (well, he and the men that he hires) and I was hoping on leaving Canada to be with him in time (1 – 1.5 years) depending on the completion date of the house/shop (and perhaps things that I might learn from any responses to this posting).

My concern is in the area of finances when it comes to applying to extend the visa. What are they looking for in terms of finances: whether he “supporting” me and how much does he make; or the two of us together as a married couple; or each of us separately?

I have money in Canadian banks and investments that will stay put unless an emergency arrives but we do have a joint account in Thailand where the funds aren’t huge by any means but they are there.

As an aside, my relationship with his family is wonderful. Momma “gave” me the land to build the house (the farm, she lives in big big house down the road and then down the soi). It is wonderful with a big rice paddy and pond where we fish for our dinner and trees that are maturing so we can have our own fruit. My husband told me that his momma loves me too much. She is super nice and we have great chats while downing some Changs. We are building the house on our own as she has experience in the building of her own home and are hiring “good man for work. Man work for Charlie before, he is good man”. Charlie, her farang husband, past away a few years ago.

Anyway, any experiences you wish to relay to provide me with some insight would, of course, be greatly appreciated as I realize that there must be as many experiences as there are “officials”.

Oh yeh, move this to another topic site if ya'll feel I posted it where it doesn't belong.

Sassie

The man is the legal head of the family and as such the wife is not required to show any income whatsoever. When my husband and I apply we show a)marriage license :o house reg papers (hes on it) c)copies of all thai related stamps in my passport as well as front page d) business license (in his name) and e) photocopies of our bank book (apparently not required but it helps to show he has some money). There are no financial requirements for a Thai man to support his wife but, like I said, it helps if he has either a business license or a letter from his employer and some money in the bank but certainly not the 400,000 required of farang men.

Why is this so? Because the farang man has to show he can support his Thai wife without working (hence the need for 400,000) if he doesn't have a work permit whereas, obviously, a Thai man does not need a work permit to work in his own country.

forgot to add, feel free to pm me when you get the process started as I have been doing it for quite a few years and am, in all likelihood, the resident "expert" on the matter!

Edited by sbk

forgot to add, feel free to pm me when you get the process started as I have been doing it for quite a few years and am, in all likelihood, the resident "expert" on the matter!

I would think after 16 years you should be & we gals are all grateful for it :o

Forgot to mention the income tax payment receipt tho. My husband is required to pay taxes and show the receipt when we put in all the other docs as well.

Thanks again, sbk.

Well, if income tax forms or the like are "necessary" to show a proper income, I would be hooped as he works for his family and money merely changes hands. Hmm, things to consider and things to talk to hubby about.

Sassie

• 3 weeks later...
I was wondering about anyone’s experience(s) with immigration in relation to applying to extend an O visa based on marriage to a Thai national.

I married my husband in October 2004.  He lives in Isaan, I am back in Canada working (ah, money, a necessary evil).  We are currently building a home (with shop, not sure, but for food likely) in Nakhon Ratchasima province (well, he and the men that he hires) and I was hoping on leaving Canada to be with him in time (1 – 1.5 years) depending on the completion date of the house/shop (and perhaps things that I might learn from any responses to this posting).

My concern is in the area of finances when it comes to applying to extend the visa.  What are they looking for in terms of finances: whether he “supporting” me and how much does he make; or the two of us together as a married couple; or each of us separately?

I have money in Canadian banks and investments that will stay put unless an emergency arrives but we do have a joint account in Thailand where the funds aren’t huge by any means but they are there.

As an aside, my relationship with his family is wonderful.  Momma “gave” me the land to build the house (the farm, she lives in big big house down the road and then down the soi).  It is wonderful with a big rice paddy and pond where we fish for our dinner and trees that are maturing so we can have our own fruit.  My husband told me that his momma loves me too much.  She is super nice and we have great chats while downing some Changs.  We are building the house on our own as she has experience in the building of her own home and are hiring “good man for work.  Man work for Charlie before, he is good man”.  Charlie, her farang husband, past away a few years ago.

Anyway, any experiences you wish to relay to provide me with some insight would, of course, be greatly appreciated as I realize that there must be as many experiences as there are “officials”.

Oh yeh, move this to another topic site if ya'll feel I posted it where it doesn't belong.

Sassie

I don't know the full legal situation about this for farang women..although in the immigration act 2522 it doesnt seem to make any difference if you are a wife, or husband. but after reading below, i see that there are women with past experience who know how the story is. Obviously there is a difference which is not defined in the immigration act.Whatever i should be very careful as the immigration laws are in the process of constant change in the moment.The only place to keep up on these changes is in the Pra Rachaanubaegsaa (Government Gazette), which is published in the parliament. (yeah fat chance of getting to read that...anyway if you cant read thai forget it. i can.What i was more concerned about is the land that your husbands mum "GAVE" you! i suppose you are the one paying for the house no?I maybe am a cynical person..actually i am married now to a Thai girl and been together 4 years, but it is because due to my fluency in thai speaking read and write..i have come to know thailand and thai people as few farang can. I mean i am fluent enough to write on a keyboard in thai using a keyboard without thai letters..from memory.Anyway to get to the point i really think that you should be very careful about how much money you invest on "your land" as the first moment you have a problem with your inlaws you might just find yourself out on your ass. I am sorry to have to say this, but all you have to do is read thai rat newspaper in thai every day and you will realise that thai people can be the most selfish, brutal and compassionless people...they cover it up with a great big smile but they are dangerous.Even all the theis i know agree on this..why do you think they all want to get out of there?. I love thailand too, but have eventually chosen to live outside of thailand (sniff sniff i am sad about that).I decided this as i realised that even with a fluency in thai a complete understanding of the culture and mindset, it is still impossible to exist as an equal there..you will always be the "Farang" (translates roughly as stupid idiot who is easy to con).In thailand they never say..hey gtake this plate of curry and give it to that person sitting there..no no, they have to say.. give these noodles to the farang...this separation will always exist for them they are more xenophobic than the nazis.I wouldnt like to see you lose all your savings, so please be careful..people can change in the blink of an eye..especially thais.I Love and trust my girl, but i still would NEVER build on her mums land..that would end in tears for sure..secure yourself what is yours..and if you dont want to ever be disappointed in any thai, then do the following. learn to read write and speak fluent thai. Then you will see and understand what you are dealing with.Sorry for the cynical comment. i am concerned for us farang as i know enough of us get screwed.I t is all the more painful when one does get conned as the con tricks they use would never have worked at home..it is only due to the need to avoid confrontation and losing face, that one has to permit the con from succeeding. In the west you can tell the person conning you that he should pull the other leg, as its got bells on...but if you let ea thai know with direct speech that you know he is conning..he will get angry and maybe violent too as you just made him lose face. S be careful if you accuse a thai of something; it might end up with a knife or bullet in ones head. I have seen this happen several times .Be careful with your money in thailand..you can lose everything.

Just a quick addition to this - I recently have applied for a yearly extension based on Non "O" and my husband wasn't asked for any income tax info, just info on his salary written in a letter from his boss.

Hope that helps

My husband has never been asked to prove income or savings. We did however provide a copy of our business license when first applying for visa (don't remember if it was necessary or just another piece of paperwork to throw inas a safeguard).

Otherwise just the normal ID card, house registration, passport etc.

Thanks for the replies. Concern regarding money is generally always lingering which is why I am choosing to protect (as best as possible) my investments in Canada. I gave my husband a limit in terms of the money that I would put forward to build a home regardless of what "other" money i have in the banks/investments. Well, i suppose i will just have to wait and see what happens in relation to being "ripped off". Live and learn, even after reading others' stories of being taken.

but you know, his momma pulls in more money monthly with the insurance money (after her husband passed away) than many people make here in Vancouver. not sure how that figures into things (if it even does) but thought i would put it out there anyway.

heading back in october. Will be interested in looking at the accounting books that I have asked him to keep so i have a record of what the money has been spent on (i.e. labor, building supplies and the dreaded uh, smokes for him and new simm cards for the mobile etc.).

Cheers.

Sassie