True Needs Work Permit

The_Other_Mac

Yesterday my True high-speed service got cut off for non-payment. Fair enough, I was careless about paying on time, although I had actually paid everything up to date at a True shop six days earlier. Still, TiT, and apparently the only thing to do was apply for an entire new connection. One problem. A new rule says you must show your work permit. I'm not working at the moment. So no re-connection.

I spent 4 hours in the True shops in Siam and Silom discussing this (without raising my voice etc) and the staff made multiple calls to their head office and were very apologetic but could not do anything. No work permit, no new hi-speed connection, end of story. Existing customers are not affected.

I confirmed several times that this applied EVEN IF YOU HAVE A RETIREMENT VISA. It also applies even if you offer a credit card, including a Thai credit card, or even if you offer to make a payment upfront. I didn't think to ask about a house registration or Thai drivers license, but they insisted that there are two options that will entitle you to a connection: Thai national ID, or passport in combination with WP (not visa).

I did end up chatting with the manager of the Silom office, who explained that this was a new rule implemented by True management, because 5-10% of accounts opened by foreigners were defaulted on after one or two months. You can see their point, no company wants to take that sort of credit risk. Of course there are better solutions available, and perhaps in a few years when management notice the drop in (say) connections from wealthy retirees in Phuket, they might get around to revising their stance. In the meaetime, we have an absurd overreaction, caused by the sort of farangs that nobody wants in Thailand. Great.

The staff openly suggested that I ask a Thai friend to sign up on my behalf, with bills still going to my address, and eventually this is what I did. It annoys me, because I don't like to ask this sort of favour from my friends. Of course that means that the head office ruling is pretty pointless, since the farangs that were defaulting now need to pay a BG gf a few hundred baht to help them out, leaving True with an unpaid debt traceable to a house registration of some shack in Isaan.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yes, there was one alternative, and they quite clearly thought it was it was bizarre rubbish themselves. Prepaid ADSL, which involves: 2400 upfront, then buying prepaid cards from True shops which are needed in order to fund 800 per month plus 14 baht per minute. That's not a typo, at least not mine, the printed sheet clearly said: per minute. 840 baht per hour. And for this you get the blistering speed of: 192 kpbs.

Indeed, that's why it is in my GF's name ..... And you must have been really late with payment .... It is my experience that even after two months after the due date it still is connected ....

Edited by sniffdog

Rules upon rules upon rules - besides the "defaulting" bs reason (excuse?) could it be that 'somebody' might want to cut out or render just a tad more daunting the not so controllable e-biz money making venue still open to non citizens? And/or does this mean that the locals are genetically or by birth right not as likely to default? What a pile of buffalo crap!

I’m not even sick and tired anymore - used to get upset - not anymore; just use the local ways of doing things now: smile, a little under the table here; smile, a little present there; smile, and use the locals as fronts… do more or less whatever it takes to “legally” continue operating here.

What’s cheaper? How much for the hassle? Just do as the natives do.

They are such resourceful masters of how to get around/avoid the official rules and for a pittance ready to smooth the way for the rest of us that were fortunate enough not to be citizens of the LOS. :o

Here's a thought. Since the penalty for breaking the 12 month contract is 2,000 baht, wouldn't it be better if True just asked for the deposit up front for those without a work permit? Or, maybe, this is too simple for them.

Just gets better and better from these morons....

It's not unlike trying to get a Tot land line - they won't give it to people who do not have a citizens card........ they also shrugged and said they can't fill out the form if you don't have one. And suggested that one applies in someone elses name.

I have to cancel my account next month, but will be back next year - guess I am shafted unless loxinfo or some new firm will accept me.

Another thought. Why not try getting a new telephone line with True, then getting the broadband package that goes with it. I think you only need a passport for that.  :o

Nope. In fact that's effectively what I am doing (getting a new phone line).

(Yes my payments were very late. Actually I paid all my True bills on time, but missed the 100 baht/month phone line charge billed separately by TOT...)

because 5-10% of accounts opened by foreigners were defaulted on after one or two months. You can see their point, no company wants to take that sort of credit risk.

...and the default rate for the locals is lower ? Sure...

(The local default rate for mobiles it is around 10%).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes my payments were very late. Actually I paid all my True bills on time, but missed the 100 baht/month phone line charge billed separately by TOT..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well. it gets more confusing ..... so you didn't pay your phone bill? So what has that to do with your Internet connection? Your internet connection is still active then.

I for one haven't paid my phone bill for three months. The internet connection still works (as there are no calls made).

Just pay your phone bill (including late charges) and everything should be fine.

Maybe next time if you post get the facts right ....

Edited by sniffdog

Oh yes, there was one alternative, and they quite clearly thought it was it was bizarre rubbish themselves. Prepaid ADSL, which involves: 2400 upfront, then buying prepaid cards from True shops which are needed in order to fund 800 per month plus 14 baht per minute. That's not a typo, at least not mine, the printed sheet clearly said: per minute. 840 baht per hour. And for this you get the blistering speed of: 192 kpbs.

Why not Loxinfo? They never asked for WP - just a Passport Copy.

:o

In mid-March, I ordered phone and internet service from True. My phone was installed, and I returned to True to schedule the installation of the ADSL. I went from one rep, to another, and finally to a manager. The gentleman expalined that I could not get ADSL service, due to the high default rate for foreigners. I begged, I pleaded....nothing. I then asked him why I wasn't told this when I requested phone service 4 days earlier. He looked like a deer caught in headlights, disappeared for a half hour, and then returned commenting that "since I had requested the service a day before the new rule went into effect", I could get ADSL. Now the good part...I have a Mac, and could not connect through the ADSL modem provided by True. I bought a 3rd party modem/router - True called, and INSISTED that they install it for me. Exactly at the appointed time, 3 technicians with a PC and another modem started the installation process. Using 5 different cell phones, with everyone talking at the same time, the installation was complete within a half-hour. Thus far, no problems, but God help me if I'm late with a bill.

It's not unlike trying to get a Tot land line - they won't give it to people who do not have a citizens card........

You went to the wrong office then mate, I was signed up and out of the door within 5 minutes, only a passport copy required :o

In mid-March, I ordered phone and internet service from True.  My phone was installed, and I returned to True to schedule the installation of the ADSL.  I went from one rep, to another, and finally to a manager.  The gentleman expalined that I could not get ADSL service, due to the high default rate for foreigners.  I begged, I pleaded....nothing.  I then asked him why I wasn't told this when I requested phone service 4 days earlier.  He looked like a deer caught in headlights, disappeared for a half hour, and then returned commenting that "since I had requested the service a day before the new rule went into effect", I could get ADSL.  Now the good part...I have a Mac, and could not connect through the ADSL modem provided by True.  I bought a 3rd party modem/router - True called, and INSISTED that they install it for me.  Exactly at the appointed time, 3 technicians with a PC and another modem started the installation process.  Using 5 different cell phones, with everyone talking at the same time, the installation was complete within a half-hour.  Thus far, no problems, but God help me if I'm late with a bill.

So-- what happens if you want to pay by dierct debit -- which they have to set up and which you cannot cancel --- so you're not ever going to be late with your bills, either phone or adsl?

okinasan

In mid-March, I ordered phone and internet service from True.  My phone was installed, and I returned to True to schedule the installation of the ADSL.  I went from one rep, to another, and finally to a manager.  The gentleman expalined that I could not get ADSL service, due to the high default rate for foreigners.  I begged, I pleaded....nothing.  I then asked him why I wasn't told this when I requested phone service 4 days earlier.  He looked like a deer caught in headlights, disappeared for a half hour, and then returned commenting that "since I had requested the service a day before the new rule went into effect", I could get ADSL.  Now the good part...I have a Mac, and could not connect through the ADSL modem provided by True.  I bought a 3rd party modem/router - True called, and INSISTED that they install it for me.  Exactly at the appointed time, 3 technicians with a PC and another modem started the installation process.  Using 5 different cell phones, with everyone talking at the same time, the installation was complete within a half-hour.  Thus far, no problems, but God help me if I'm late with a bill.

So-- what happens if you want to pay by dierct debit -- which they have to set up and which you cannot cancel --- so you're not ever going to be late with your bills, either phone or adsl?

okinasan

We're moving to Chiang Mai in January (and no, I can't spell "direct" ---!) , and really need to be on broadband for various reasons, so, as someone mentioned earlier in this thread that "presents" might well be the solution, what's the going rate in baht for ADSL?

okinasan

perhaps in a few years when management notice the drop in (say) connections from wealthy retirees in Phuket, they might get around to revising their stance.

Not that I disagree with you but we dont get True service down here on Phuket anyway...

Why not just sign up with TT&T Hinet or TOT Goldcyber or ADSL line and any other ISP (JI, CS Lox, Pacific, etc) ??

3 Technicians with 5 mobile phones... interesting

Holy cow, did someone post this topic on a public board somewhere? I see the stat that there's 241 users (191 guests, 48 members) are reading this topic.

I bet whoever came up with the work permit clause didn't know about retirement visas. All you retirees can call management and complain, and it'll probably get changed.

Locals default, foreigners default, but locals are easier to get to, legally.

This True policy sounds a little like the Thailand is only for Thais arguement that you come across from time to time. I can only say that they should have thought about the problem a little more. As foreigners are so 'rich', and it appears that some folks are not making a commitment to the service for a reasonable amount of time, why don't they take a 3 month/6 month deposit. I mean I am not an expert on this, but if churn is a problem, then find a way that will mean you don't loose out if someone gives up the service after an unreasonable amount of time. Apply the rule unilaterally to all, and don't discriminate!

Edited by MaiChai

Holy cow, did someone post this topic on a public board somewhere?  I see the stat that there's 241 users (191 guests, 48 members) are reading this topic.

Thai Channel 7 apparently had a news report and mentioned our website. I was interviewed the other day, and it was aired tonight.

I could also point out that a high level of 'defaults' may well stem from a low level of service.. If you sign up for a one year plan of 2 Mbit internet and get 100 Kb/s internet and cancel or stop paying after a month or so is it really the fault of the user ??

I have had 2 long arguments with IPStar and JI net. With IPStar I cancelled the service but they just kept on billing me (like they did for the 4 - 6 months when the srevice was either unusable or completely down a couple of years back). With JINet I sent them emails with read reciepts to billing and support cancelling my JINet agreement at a certain date. They continue to send bills and every time I get one I send another email to JI Net billing and support (again with read reciepts) and yet they just keep sending bills and keep saying I owe them ever increasing amounts of money.

Is that defaulting ?? or is it just ass backwards service ???

This should really piss off the new governor of Bkk. Turning this backward society and its myopic beaurocrats into a world class city. Not in this century. Just another way of sticking their fingers up at non Thais.

Unless you absolutely have to have it, better off just having the phone line, can't screw with you then.

Hope someone can notify the embassies over this. That should stir things up a bit.

T.

"...but God help me if I'm late with a bill. "

I don't see the need to bring Steve Jobs into the discussion.

About a year ago, I tried to open an account at Siam Commercial Bank and was flatly turned down because I don't have a work permit.

It may be more likely that these companies require a work permit because its an easy way to separate foreigners who have a legitimate need for these company's services from those with more shady intents (money laundering, currency speculation, unregistered internet-based businesses) and with the criterion of work permit, they get the great bulk of those they are looking for. Retirees? Such a small part of their total customer base, would it even occur to them to make provisions for us?

My True ADSL is in my Thai wife's name.

RickF

You guys in Bangkok should think yourselves lucky to have options ..... and cheaper ones than outside BKK.

I'm living just outside Chiangmai (15 mins drive) .... it took me two years to get an ADSL line installed .... TT&T+loxinfo partnership .... it was eventually installed in January.

Cost Baht 1,600 per month for 256k/128k line .. always on, no data or time charges ... the connection has so far proven to be reliable (except for an hour last Friday) ... so I'm quite pleased.

Ironically it is proving to be less costly than my previous monthly dialup bill because of the length of time I used it (especially for downloading/uploading) and the fact the line often dropped and needed reconnecting ... and that's in the dry season ... when the rains come it was higher.

So count your blessings

Chris

------------- URL removed

P.S. I came here from Hong Kong 3 years ago where the broadband speeds were so fast and cheap that I got the news a day early :o ... spoilt

Edited by penzman

How about this one then,

Was over in Surin 2 weeks ago and went to see my branch of Bangkok Bank where I opened an account last year (no work permit required just passport)

When I set up the account last year THEY did not even know their SWIFT code so I could not actually send any money over to the account, so it has just been sat there whilst I have been back in the UK with the ammount I opened the account with.

Well this time they did have the SWIFT code, but what I wanted to do was to setup internet bangkok access to the account so if I send money to the account I can see that it gets there, also so I can check balance and pay any bills.....

Well, first off the manager said Bangkok Bank did not have internet banking..... <deleted> !? I said you do cos it says you have to visit branch to set it up.... so he called HQ...... and hour later he comes back and says that they do indeed have internet banking, but has I do not have a work permit I cannot have access to Internet Banking.....

I asked if he was talking out of his arse, so he called and checked with HQ again, taking another 30 mins, and he confirmed he was right..... my wife created access to her account (opened the same day as mine!) I closed my account and off I went, will open an account elsewhere where the beaurocracy has not gone totally mad.....

I can understand to a certain extent the argument of True, but why the ###### would a bank not let you view your bank account over the internet if you do not have a Work Permit ???

Mike

:o

Had the same problem. I'm a full-time student and just tried the same thing...on the 18th . "Cannot" was the answer. "Full-time student visa?" "Cannot." "Pay 1 year in advance?" "Cannot." "Register in the apartment Owner's name?" Owner: "Cannot." "Router with my next-door Thai-buddy, split the bill, buy 45 baht cable and give him 200 baht each month for any hassle?"

"DAI!"