Are The Cctv Cameras On And Working Throughout Your Building?

Portlandstone

Make a long story short, I live in a fairly nice western-style apartment building with cctv camera throughout the building and card access key at downstairs. One afternoon I heard someone trying to get into my room with "key'ing" sounds at the doorknob several times so just for the heck of it I went up to the door but they were gone and on top of it, there was no further sound (someone walking down to the next door where they might live, or catch the elevator, etc) so it seemed just a bit suspicious. I went to the office about 30 minutes later and just casually asked if they knew anything and after much thought they said they didn't have any building staff working or going to the rooms, etc, so I just hazardly asked maybe if they could check the camera videos, that seemed to put them in a scramble. They started making excuses and looking at each other talking in Thai, then finally said that, from the office they cannot "open" the video camera footage (even though several computers, screens and equipment were right there) so one guy says "ok, when I have a chance I will go and check the video film for you, ok?" Never got back to me. I doubt that even though there are cameras at both ends of the halls (checked), they are even working or being recorded.

This reason I also refused to choose another building a while back, rent price everything was awesome but when I gently pressed to find out about cameras they avoided the questions but finally admitted they are only recording in the garage and front entrance. Is this the norm in Thailand? If there are cameras in the upper floor halls I don't see why they don't just let the recorders run?

I'm the only one out of 120 people that is concerned about this? My reasoning is that without some hallway monitoring it would be super easy to undertake simple criminal tactics and easily get into the room, especially if there were two or three thieves involved. If you can't quite imagine how, you need to have your cup of coffee - I'd rather not put the ideas out there. Other people haven't even bothered to check if the vanity cameras in their building are turned on for recording? Or am I wrong, is intra-building thievery low or almost non-existent in Thailand? (Some kind of religious-type belief that it would bring terrible luck, etc).

Edited by Portlandstone

I live in a nice hotel-alike apartment with the Cctv cams. There are 3 cams each floors and at least 10 cams from the entrance, parking lot until the front desk. the staffs are watching them all the time. And yeh they record everything

It was probably just some person trying to get into a wrong room. It has happened to me once as I accidentally went to wrong floor. The CCTVs may not even be recording ones or it would be too much trouble to check the "tapes" for something so minor. If someone actually wanted to come in, they would know if you were inside or not.

There are cams on each floor (facing left and right of the walking alley to the rooms). saw the red light on each cam, so it should be working. Plus i get a cam view on one of my TV channel for a cam that is placed at the entrance / reception of the building

Explorer