Pun Pun (meat Lovers) Restaurant On The River

Ulysses G.

Yesterday, someone mentioned Pun Pun restaurant's baked beans and franks (hotdogs) with garlic bread to me and I couldn't get them out of my mind. I rode over on my bike and had some and they were great and noone else has them.

I love British baked beans for breakfast,but these have sausage slices and bacon and are even better.

The menu at Pun Pun has a lot of usual and unusual items and everything that I've had has been good. John, the charming host keeps things lively and being right on the river is nice. Check it out!

Edited by Ulysses G.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yesterday, someone mentioned Pun Pun restaurant's baked beans and franks (hotdogs) with garlic bread to me and I couldn't get them out of my mind. I rode over on my bike and had some and they were great and noone else has them.

I love British baked beans for breakfast,but these have sausage slices and bacon and are even better.

The menu at Pun Pun has a lot of usual and unusual items and everything that I've had has been good. John, the charming host keeps things lively and being right on the river is nice. Check it out!

Now let's analyze this as a review - this is a really weak review!

A good review should describe in detail what makes the food great - fresh ingredients, not greasy, tender meats, crisp vegetables, properly salted, beans tasted of molasses, or were lightly smokey, or a touch sweet, etc., etc., etc...

OR

If it is just a recommendation (as above), as opposed to a review, it should be from a reputable person whose opinion has been proven trustworthy and consistent.

If some unknown had written this I would not give it any credence, but it does come from the tried, proven, and trusted UG, and therefore I want to try it!

Hey UG! Even a recommendation needs better info on prices and location!

---

ps - HEY MODS!!! What's happening with a Chiangmai Food Subforum?

Edited by wjmark

A huge plate of meaty baked beans and franks with garlic bread was around 100 baht and the prices in general tend to be some of the cheapest around - combined with very generous portions.

I've also had bacon, pancakes and spagetti and everything was good.

I'm not good on location, but if you are at Warowot market (near the US Consulate) and you go North to the second bridge after Narrawat and then cross the river and turn right on the first street heading South, Pun pun is about 15 meters down the street (same side as the river) and clearly marked. There is parking inside.

Just got back from there and yes, it is the real deal ! Good food , nice family, and super atmoshpere. Wife had the usual thai fare and said it was really good althtough not quite spicy enough. (usual, she's part dragon) I had the beef meat pie. mmm. I really liked it. the crust was fresh homemade flaky crust and the ground beef was tasty without being to spicy. Realy good. Good price for what you get. Most beef in town is expensive i found. The best thing was the atmosphere, nice quiet open air restaurant along the river in a lovely garden guesthouse courtyard. Family was very nice and helpful, made new friends and will be back for the fish and chips..!!

I've been there several times and have never left hungry. Each time I bring home left-overs sufficient for a second meal. Worthy of mention - the best baked potatoes I have ever had anywhere in Thailand. And the prices are extremely reasonable. So, to sum it up - tasty food, super-generous portions and reasonably priced. Plus, with John and his wife personally involved in making certain that you have everything you can want, makes it a great experience.

I've been there several times and have never left hungry. Each time I bring home left-overs sufficient for a second meal. Worthy of mention - the best baked potatoes I have ever had anywhere in Thailand. And the prices are extremely reasonable. So, to sum it up - tasty food, super-generous portions and reasonably priced. Plus, with John and his wife personally involved in making certain that you have everything you can want, makes it a great experience.

I highly recommend John consider making potato skins! My wife makes perfect ones, Hollowed out baked with skins topped with bacon bits,butter, maybe sour cream (I like). They are so good, and you keep the middle for mashed potatoes, like two meals in one. Im there!

Went earlier for lunch and was very Impressed,John the owner was very good to chat with and the food was great, I had the beef stew with a couple of pieces of garlic bread and like I said it was very good. The Mrs was on her second meal of the day as Thai's do but she said the Thai food was good too, even though she didn't finish it. All in all a great find and I will be eating there again.

As PB states there is a restaurant off Suandok by the name of Pun Pun that specializes in organic and vegetarian food. I think they have been there for a couple years now. The similarity of names does make for some confusion at times.

Pun Pun Guest House [ whick is on the river ] has been around now for about 25 years now and does serve vegetables and also meats. Its somewhat of a joke thing about the meat place or the one with meat. But someone jokingly put that tag on some time back in another post.

Yes there is meat and veggies and Western and Thai food.....

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Gonzo

I ate there yesterday and just managed to finish the steak whichI could eat even with my teeth. Good meal in a nice place.

Note to Harry's mother.....

Yes Mum, he cleaned his plate , but he didn't eat all his veggies..... so I guess its no TV tonight...

Sorry Harry

:)

If I had wanted the rabbit food I would have gone to the other PunPun :D

I'm going there with a group for lunch on Saturday, after what I have read here I'm looking forward to it.

Well all I can say ThaiPauly is .... good luck, and make sure your will is current.

For larger groups and we consider larger groups as 1 or more..... please make reservations at least a month in advance.......for groups of over 10 , please give us at least 2 weeks notice so we can get the best rates for flights out of town and can leave you directions to what is where in the kitchen....

Lock up when you finish ...... don't run out on the bill and use PayPal for the tip

G

I ate there yesterday and just managed to finish the steak whichI could eat even with my teeth. Good meal in a nice place.

Note to Harry's mother.....

Yes Mum, he cleaned his plate , but he didn't eat all his veggies..... so I guess its no TV tonight...

Sorry Harry

:D

If I had wanted the rabbit food I would have gone to the other PunPun :D

I don't think the other Pun Pun serves rabbits.....thats meat ain't it ???? ... or did you mean rabid....?

As PB states there is a restaurant off Suandok by the name of Pun Pun that specializes in organic and vegetarian food. I think they have been there for a couple years now. The similarity of names does make for some confusion at times.

Pun Pun Guest House [ whick is on the river ] has been around now for about 25 years now and does serve vegetables and also meats. Its somewhat of a joke thing about the meat place or the one with meat. But someone jokingly put that tag on some time back in another post.

Yes there is meat and veggies and Western and Thai food.....

Hope that clears up some of the confusion.

Gonzo

Yes, cheers. I had hoped my vegetarian friend would be able to join me.

I want to say that I had the good fortune to meet 'Nongluck' and his wife, twice in the past few days..... The second time was really special.....

There are a few people around this town that do like food..... Other than our own UG , who I would have to put in first place, I would like to think that on a good day, I can give him a run for his money.

That is to show by way that I like the food that I like and the taste that I like. When something tastes good to me and my palate that is GOOD !

Now , I had the pleasure of having some samples brought out to me to try, by Nongluck and the Ms. I was blown away ! This is not the baking of some little village Thai girl working with some rice flour and lard..... This is some REALLY GOOD STUFF !

Because of my supposedly being a borderline diabetic, I do think about the things I eat...... I said think about them, and then most of the time , eat them.

Due to the diabetes I limited myself to one and half fudge brownie with nuts, just 4 peanut butter cookies, and just one crumblecrust cheescake with cherry topping. I must admit I had just a tad more just before bedtime..

They were all as fine as any that I have ever had anywhere in the West...... and having spent a few years in the New York City area, I tink, I knowz cheescake...

The samples were enough for a few more persons, but unfortunately you guys were not around today, and somehow they have now disappeared.

I am discussing with Nongluck , if he would like to get some samples out for trial , the possibility of setting aside a couple hours one afternoon so we can have a taste ..... free of charge of course. Nothing is cast in stone yet but if anyone would like a little taste of heaven, please post your thoughts....

As Gene Autry used to say "try it, you'll like it"

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

just had breakfast there. john the owner is a nice guy and the food was really good and well-priced. plus, if anyone is looking for a back issue of citylife, they seem to have the entire archives on file!

i'll be back fo' sho'.

.... thank you for that ollylama..... was really good to meet you.....and look forward to your return....

This just to clear up one little thing... We do keep a file of City Life as keepers, but please noone come if they specifically need a more current issue...

We musta dun sumptin bad to dem as we appear to dun been bann-a-nated from their distributin spots.... but we still have the older historical issues along wid sum good eatins 4 U

Thanks again Ollylama

I just wanted to mention that the fish and chips at Pun Pun are truly huge - 3 decent size pieces of fish and nice thick chips. They must have the biggest portion of fish in town.

IMHO they are the type of F&C you would get at a picnic in the Southern States of the US, rather than British style F&C - do not bother with malt vinegar, these are eaten with tarter sauce.

The fried bananas with seseme seeds and honey is a great way to top it all off!

I want to say that I had the good fortune to meet 'Nongluck' and his wife, twice in the past few days..... The second time was really special.....

There are a few people around this town that do like food..... Other than our own UG , who I would have to put in first place, I would like to think that on a good day, I can give him a run for his money.

That is to show by way that I like the food that I like and the taste that I like. When something tastes good to me and my palate that is GOOD !

Now , I had the pleasure of having some samples brought out to me to try, by Nongluck and the Ms. I was blown away ! This is not the baking of some little village Thai girl working with some rice flour and lard..... This is some REALLY GOOD STUFF !

Because of my supposedly being a borderline diabetic, I do think about the things I eat...... I said think about them, and then most of the time , eat them.

Due to the diabetes I limited myself to one and half fudge brownie with nuts, just 4 peanut butter cookies, and just one crumblecrust cheescake with cherry topping. I must admit I had just a tad more just before bedtime..

They were all as fine as any that I have ever had anywhere in the West...... and having spent a few years in the New York City area, I tink, I knowz cheescake...

The samples were enough for a few more persons, but unfortunately you guys were not around today, and somehow they have now disappeared.

I am discussing with Nongluck , if he would like to get some samples out for trial , the possibility of setting aside a couple hours one afternoon so we can have a taste ..... free of charge of course. Nothing is cast in stone yet but if anyone would like a little taste of heaven, please post your thoughts....

As Gene Autry used to say "try it, you'll like it"

Gonzo

Hello, yes we have gotten some good response and have placed a few bakery items. I left a message for Thai Pauly asking if a group is still going to meet Saturday, if people would like my wife will bring free samples for all, then you decide!

Would anyboday like that Saturday? please chime in as we would need to have a basic idea of how many will come

Thanks, Nongluck