Youtube Virtually Unusable!

Daren

Well the title pretty much says it all. My 4Mb line is usually quite quick for almost all other applications, but when it comes to YouTube it's pretty useless. Time of day seems to have little or nothing to do with my personal mileage and I'm getting fed up.

Anyone else have this problem? Any ideas how I can up my speed... to the max?!

Cheers folks!

Well I seem to have figured it out!

I've tried a few different DNS servers and I finally stumbled on Google's free DNS which seems to be working a trick! They are:

It was essential that I put these DNS addresses into my modem's DNS settings (disabled auto-configure), not just in Windows network adapter. After updating the DNS servers, I saw an immediate and drastic increase of speed, esp. on YouTube. So.... I win!

Edited by Daren

I'm not with TOT anymore (dropped them after 2 months in Thailand) but with another ISP now, "however, but," changing the DNS settings in my Windows 7 and Windows XP TCP/IP (I've got two laptops using different operating systems) didn't fix the pauses in my YouTube viewing, "but" it fixed something more important to me. (I did not have to change any settings in my DSL modem.) Using the Google DNS fixed my ability to reach certain web sites, specifically certain ".af.mil" websites in the U.S., that I have been unable to reach since arriving Thailand. I couldn't access these .af.mil web sites when with TOT or my current ISP. And here I thought these certain .af.mil web public sites were just preventing access for certain countries/areas of the world due to hacking attempts. Thank you, thank you for your post which lead me to a fix of my web site access problem.

Below is the Google web site that gives info on how to setup the DNS. It's super easy to do after you find the TCP/IP menu settings in Windows...a few mouse clicks and entry of Google DNS numbers and you are good to go! Good luck...I hope it fixes some problems for you also.

http://code.google.com/speed/public-dns/

Awesome, I'm glad it helped someone else too! Try setting the DNS in your modem as well, as I said, YouTube is wicked fast now!

And as for ToT s DNS, I have sneaking suspicion it was an intentional accident done to reserve bandwidth. Kee neeow, bastards!

This morning I figured out how to make the DNS server change in my DSL modem. I didn't make any difference in my youtube speed/pauses. Appears just changing the Windows TCP/IP DSN setting was enough, but I leaving the google DNS server settings in my modem anyway. But as mentioned above this DSN server change sure fixed by other problem of not be able to reach certain websites since I arrived Thailand. Thanks again.

No, I tried the modem setup Save/Apply and even hard Reboot (i.e., power on/off) of the modem, but it still didn't make any speed difference. But as mentioned, it fixed my access to certain web sites. Ain't computer equipment great...that is, the equipment seems to all too frequently give different results to different people...guess it depends greatly on each person hardware/softare setup. :)

Are we really sure about these DNS addresses, the number 4 being the most unlucky number in Chinese and rarely used anywhere! Caution perhaps.

Err.... if you're willing to trust The Goog with your search results, why wouldn't you trust them to route your HTTP? I'm sorry but your reply is kinda silly.