Anyone Know Where To Find A Nice Bowl Of Congee Around Here?

Fitzy

I've been told it's called Jok in Thailand, but I haven't seen it around much. I did get an excellent bowl at Don Mueang Airport in Bangkok, of all places.

Any idea where I can get a piping hot bowl for breakfast (or lunch, or dinner) in Chiang Mai?

Kad Suan Kaew basement, a small hot pot restaurant near the Food Factory, across from a bakery serves good Jhok. order with a plate of fried peanuts for some crunch.

The restaurant also serves some good roast duck.

This is one of the few restaurant in the complex that's been around practically from the day the complex opened.

I was always told by my ex-wife that it was called "jook" and that was the cantonese name for it she said. I am sometimes dubious of what is in it as it often comes with such nice incrediants as pig's intestines. Usually i just order plain jook so i don't get surprises.

I was always told by my ex-wife that it was called "jook" and that was the cantonese name for it she said. I am sometimes dubious of what is in it as it often comes with such nice incrediants as pig's intestines. Usually i just order plain jook so i don't get surprises.

i love it piping hot with some soya sauce and small pieces of chicken :)

i usually have it when im feeling a bit crook instead of chicken soup

is the one on changklan rd across from chiang mai plaza still there early in the morning?

'Jook' is in fact the Cantonese name for it.

In Thailand, there are two variations: 'Jook' and 'Khaw Tom' — 'Tom' as in soup.

In the Chiuchow part of Canton (current day Guangzhou), instead of steamed rice, a watery rice made with full grains of rice is eaten and that is the true 'jook' when they say 'jook' here. 'Kahow Tom' is made with cheaper, broken rice.

In HK, it is all known as 'jook' but different versions are served when you ask for it depending on the context of your meal.

Very early in the morning (6:30am-8:00am) there's place next to the moat called "Joke Somphet".

I'm pretty sure Jok Somphet is open 24 hours. It's a Chiang Mai institution, located inside the northern side of the moat, not far form the NE corner. (And for those who get upset when we North Americans refer to the cardinal directions, let me help by saying that Thapae Gate is on the eastern side of the moat).

'Congee' is actually an Indian word, but is used in Chinese restaurants (dunno why). 'Juk' is Chinese.

There are a couple of Old-Chinese restaurants sorta behind the Suriwong book store that may have it - I will look next time I am in the area. Maybe the Chinese place on Chang Klan road too - place has photos of everything on the wall - can't remember...

Love it with boneless chicken, or with dried seafood (abalone and scallop), or with century egg (green and delicious!).

Also like it with a green-onion pancake on the side

Very early in the morning (6:30am-8:00am) there's place next to the moat called "Joke Somphet".

I'm pretty sure Jok Somphet is open 24 hours. It's a Chiang Mai institution, located inside the northern side of the moat, not far form the NE corner. (And for those who get upset when we North Americans refer to the cardinal directions, let me help by saying that Thapae Gate is on the eastern side of the moat).

Without a doubt the best place for Jok though it can get packed out with Thai tour groups sometimes. I think that Anthony Bourdain the celeb chef visits this place in his Chiang Mai episode worth a look on you tube if you haven't seen it.