"owning" Land In Thailand

Hi

A Thai friend of mine, who is from NE Thailand (Isaan) and lives in the UK has mentioned she can get quite a bit of land in Isaan, for a very good price - approx 72 acres for around 3M Baht. I havent seen this land and know very little about it. The idea is that she will farm on it and may do some other innovative things. I'm just looking for a peaceful place where I can do some of the things I like, help my friend and hopefuily take a percentage of the earnings from the land.

I'd appreciate any comments you have on the following :

* Is this a reasonable price ?

* I've come across somewhere (I think SunBelt or Indo Siam) who state that they can organise some loan where I provide money to a Thai person to buy the land, but I remain i control of the land. Is this so ? Does anyone have details on this and does anyone have experience of this ?

* Is the loan method better then having a Thai comapny own the land ? I know that by not having a company there will be less obligations on my behalf.

Do you have any other comments on this ? Thanks in advance for your feed back...

Sorry this should be in real estate etc...

Edited by Khun Bob

Bob, I doubt many will respond to your post. Go to search and type in owning land. After you spend a couple of days reading what it finds then come back and ask a more specific question.

Other thing you can do is open a savings account and give the interest to yuor friend. This will be for the rest of her live and probably more than she can make on the land anyway.

Boring isn't it? a savings account. No adventure at all.

But it will be 99.9% more profitable than trying to farm and be innovative, they already do that for thousands of years you know.

Land in Isaan is around 20.000-30.000 baht for good agricultural land.

I don't measure in acres so i have no idea. 3M baht can get you around 100 rai. It probably will not have a nor sor sam or chanote land title so you will have some trouble to establish the borders. As it has a high change of being only squatter rights it is not wise to buy it without proof the person you buy it from is actually the real owner with rights to sell it.

And a few hundred other things you have to be carefull with. If you slip on one of them say bye bye to your money.

A little warnign that can be way of the mark but just so you know how many others are treated.

Be sure you are not "canceled" as a boyfriend after the transaction.

"Canceled" is now the popular term for woman who have foreign boyfriends that build them an house or buy them some land. Always with the promise of an oppertunity and a wonderful live.

Be wise, don't hurry, and know land in Isaan will always be cheap and don't become a statistic.

I'm just looking for a peaceful place where I can do some of the things I like, help my friend and hopefuily take a percentage of the earnings from the land.

Buying a cow for a glass of milk?

If you want to live peacfully there is really no need to buy 72 acres of land. Starting to struggle with the thai legal requirements will certainly not contribute to your peace of mind. A company costs money to form and more money to maintain. There are many legal tricks you can try - they all work 100% if they don't need to be tested. Once there will be a lawsuit - will your lawyer guarantee 100% success? If so, ask him guarantee it personally, securing money in the bank. If it's 100% safe, why should he refuse?

If you want to donate 3M baht for charity I can think of better ways.

Sorry if this does not help.

Edited by ~G~

Thanks for your feed back - as all ways TV is an excellent sounding board...

The idea does seem to be a bit too good to be true - and 72 acres is alot more than what I'd really want.

I like to be charitible, but only when my income is well proportioned against the donation - and 3M Bt is stacked a bit against me at the moment

Too much and too risky - but got some nuggets of wisdom - thanks very much

Hi

A Thai friend of mine, who is from NE Thailand (Isaan) and lives in the UK has mentioned she can get quite a bit of land in Isaan, for a very good price - approx 72 acres for around 3M Baht.  I havent seen this land and know very little about it.  The idea is that she will farm on it and may do some other innovative things.  I'm just looking for a peaceful place where I can do some of the things I like, help my friend and hopefuily take a percentage of the earnings from the land.

I'd appreciate any comments you have on the following :

* Is this a reasonable price ?

* I've come across somewhere (I think SunBelt or Indo Siam) who state that they can organise some loan where I provide money to a Thai person to buy the land, but I remain i control of the land.  Is this so ?  Does anyone have details on this and does anyone have experience of this ?

* Is the loan method better then having a Thai comapny own the land ?  I know that by not having a company there will be less obligations on my behalf.

Do you have any other comments on this ?  Thanks in advance for your feed back...

Sorry this should be in real estate etc...

Just bought around 7 rai /300000 loaded with kuay,pla,lomyai adjoining other property and it has adequate water irrigation in the Chayaiphum area actually Ban Morn, Ban Thaen near Pu Sappo. This is the most important thing when farming. Remember that man is smarter than woman that's why he has two heads.

Your Thai friend lives in the UK - is she a farmer or a farmess? 74 acres is a lot of land except for Texas cattle ranchers. How many agricultural degrees does she have, how many decades of direct tilling of the soil? Is she going to be on the land 24/7?

Do you have any idea what you're thinking of doing?

My wifes mother has a few rai of land. She just let other people use it in echange for a share of the profit or crops.

If you do it this way it involves almost no work and it will give a very small return. But it is in western terms so little it is hardly worth the investment or efforts.

To be honest, I dont have the desire to be a farmer, but the thought of having big space in a quiet place is apealing...

72 Acres is alot - too much really. My friend claims to have an agricultural degree and does seem to know alot about farming. However, we do have a shared interest in technology and undergound housing (strange combination). Also, there is no emotional involvement currently.

I've had some crazy ideas and to pursue this one could be better than putting money into tech stocks in around 2001 - at least with this I could still go and see that land I thought I use to own !! :o

However, thinking about what would be nice (well a bit anyway). How about this as a suggestions.

* Couple of rais somewhere near or in a basic Isaan village - ie not many people with cars

* Have a simple house and live like a Thai

* For the purchase, involve lawyers to check out the land ownership and what ever is necessary

* Try to get along with the village headman and offer the help the village in some way - as an aside I would like to get european companies to send old IT equipment to Isaan to put into schools, also offer to teach english at the local school - just initial ideas - see whatever the local village could benefit from (without just giving cash) - to help become a part of the community and get accepted

* Not get involved (romantically) with anybody in the village

* Not to live there permanently, but go on weekends or at other times for an extended get away

* Enjoy village life, learn Isaan language and about Isaan food, also more about buddism.

Some things do concern me though :

* I wouldnt leave anything of value in the house when I wasnt there - but what chance is there that the house will be vandalised or people living in it ?

* As I'll probably be there by myself, whats the chance that I'll be attacked or robbed ? May be getting paranoid here - I am from the UK and I shouldnt make comparisons, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions or experiences on this.

Before embarking on something like this, what should I bear in mind ?

The reason I would like to do something like this is that last year I went to a village outside of Wieng Yai, south of Khon Kaen and it felt great. I didnt get to know the people that well, it just seemed very typical.

Look forward to your replies...

PS Did I mention that I like Morlam ?

A couple of rai isn't much.

A simple Thai house isn't very comfortable - "live like a Thai" - depends which Thai.

No need to involve lawyers for the purchase of land normally - ownership can be easily checked out at the local amphur.

My wife loaned the local headman some money and holds the deeds to his house - we get along fine now!

Why not get involved romantically with anyone from the village? I guess my wife may object if I do tho.

I intend to make an Isaan village my permanent home - OK travel for hols.

Easy to get involved with local life, the local Wat, etc. but I reckon you'd be lonely on your own.

Where is the 72 acres - I may be interested if it's anywhere near Sisaket?

To be honest, I dont have the desire to be a farmer, but the thought of having big space in a quiet place is apealing...

72 Acres is alot - too much really.  My friend claims to have an agricultural degree and does seem to know alot about farming.  However, we do have a shared interest in technology and undergound housing (strange combination).  Also, there is no emotional involvement currently.

I've had some crazy ideas and to pursue this one could be better than putting money into tech stocks in around 2001 - at least with this I could still go and see that land I thought I use to own !!  :o

However, thinking about what would be nice (well a bit anyway).  How about this as a suggestions.

* Couple of rais somewhere near or in a basic Isaan village - ie not many people with cars

* Have a simple house and live like a Thai

* For the purchase, involve lawyers to check out the land ownership and what ever is necessary

* Try to get along with the village headman and offer the help the village in some way - as an aside I would like to get european companies to send old IT equipment to Isaan to put into schools, also offer to teach english at the local school - just initial ideas - see whatever the local village could benefit from (without just giving cash) - to help become a part of the community and get accepted

* Not get involved (romantically) with anybody in the village

* Not to live there permanently, but go on weekends or at other times for an extended get away

* Enjoy village life, learn Isaan language and about Isaan food, also more about buddism.

Some things do concern me though :

* I wouldnt leave anything of value in the house when I wasnt there - but what chance is there that the house will be vandalised or people living in it ?

* As I'll probably be there by myself, whats the chance that I'll be attacked or robbed ?  May be getting paranoid here - I am from the UK and I shouldnt make comparisons, but I'd be interested to hear your opinions or experiences on this.

Before embarking on something like this, what should I bear in mind ?

The reason I would like to do something like this is that last year I went to a village outside of Wieng Yai, south of Khon Kaen and it felt great.  I didnt get to know the people that well, it just seemed very typical. 

Look forward to your replies...

PS Did I mention that I like Morlam ?

If its peace and quiet you want try outback queensland !! 350 acres of land with house about 2,500 pounds , available now near the Township of Tara great place might rain once or twice a year but floods and bushfire guaranteed everyyear, or the town of Jandowae 2years ago they were selling 1acre building plots in town for 1dollar australian they had three takers my adviceput your money in a building society. :D Nignoy

Thanks for the feed back so far.

I think there must be quite a few harangs living in Isaan villages, but I think most would be married to some one in the village, which may make a difference. It is good to know that it is easy to get involved with local activities. That is one of the main reasons that I would like about it - a world away literally from SE England !

I should of explained living like a Thai a bit better. What I should of said is live like the Thai's in the village I saw - this really means live simply. Initially I woudnlt want to live there full time - just to get away from city madness and to try and be a part of the community.

Nignoy - I didnt realise land could be that cheap - probably spent too much time in SE England ! But for the money involved in this I think it may be worth the risk. Ideally it would be nice to try before buy, but how to do that I'm not sure at the moment !

pnustedt - the lands in chayapoom I think. Next time I see her I can mention you might be interested - but as I understand it this land comes with a catch and that is she wants most of the land to farm ! Plus, 3M Baht was the lower end of the scale - but there may be negotiation room in there...

My advise: Never buy it unseen.

Isaan is very dry and arid. It is difficult to make a living out of the land. It will require additional investment for irrigation, pumps, fertiliser, digging fish pounds, the works.

In my experience, Isaan Thai are very biased. All land you will buy for them is good. But is that really the case: Is it sand ground, near a canal (klong), is it accessable via an asfalt road or a goat track, any chance of electric power lines? How about the status of the owners' papers.

Sounds to me it to good to be true for me. I bought 22 rai for my girlfriend from Isaan with a good land title. My inlaws registred the land at the Amphur under a lesser land title. In fact it became totally worthless, because with the lesser title you can not sell it or get a loan for it. Nice for my gf :o but I will not put in one stinking bath in developing the land. GF gone, investment gone.

A lesson well learned, no more inlaws for me. I go live in Thailand far away from Isaan.

Khun Bob,

I used Sunbelt to set up a company by which it can purchase real estate. The company uses two levels of stock: the Thai partners (provided by Sunbelt) own 60% of the company - I own 40%. The preferred stock, which I own 100%, controls the voting. Accordingly, the Thai partners can't toss me out. The company documents also stipulate that I'm loaning them money to buy company stock - another method to assure my control. Essentially, you're set up as the Managing Director, and the company buys a home/land, to provide shelter for the Managing Director. In this manner, everything that it spent to improve or operate the homestead is deductible. Money is moved into an account to support the household, and money is moved out. Accordinlgy, the company is "doing business", and it meets the requirements of the Thai government. The toal cost of this adventure was approximately $1000US, and it took several weeks. The home that I was going to buy went elsewhere, and so I have a company that is sitting idel. If you'd like to buy the company, change the company documents to indicate a new Managing Director, please contact me: [email protected].

also be aware that scams are common. you are sounding she is in the UK right now and you might be in Thailand. You will buy the property but she will farm on it? Thai females abroad are still misleading. You may have known this person for years, but so did the other people that fell victim to false Isaan sales. I have personally met people...one guy who had a girlfriend of three years who paid for property he didn't investigate. She did go back to him but disappeared. He did a paid investigation and found out the property didn't exist and she was doing this to other guys she was in long term relationships with.

I also know a 77 year old expat who built a house for a lady then a man popped-up and said, "I am her husband and this is my property."

I don't know how well you know this person but I remember Thai people in my hometown L.A. were still up to their tricks (legal extortion).

Don't trust anybody of any race. This country is no different.

Edited by Tyree D.